NEWS

First edition: how do I spot or listen?

• 2 Replies

captainboozer

• Newb
« on: <12-29-18/1144:16> »
Hi, all!
I'm new here. And a new Shadowrun Master too. We are playing the very first edition. Maybe I'm dumb... but what should I use to roll spot or listen checks?
Thank you a lot!  :)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-18/1208:16> »
See Perception and Reality, pg 156.

(for observers who don't have a copy of 1st ed SR: the gist of it is roll Intelligence vs the GM's more or less arbitrarily made up TN, based on the circumstances.  And the player never rolls, the GM always rolls it.  And is encouraged to roll phony checks for no reason at all, just to keep the players guessing...  god I miss the older RPGs :D )
« Last Edit: <12-29-18/1210:54> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #2 on: <01-07-19/1514:50> »
See Perception and Reality, pg 156.

(for observers who don't have a copy of 1st ed SR: the gist of it is roll Intelligence vs the GM's more or less arbitrarily made up TN, based on the circumstances.  And the player never rolls, the GM always rolls it.  And is encouraged to roll phony checks for no reason at all, just to keep the players guessing...  god I miss the older RPGs :D )

Heh. I still, to this day, will make a roll or two at random just because, and when asked "what was that?" answer "oh, don't worry about it." In a completely bland voice with a mostly blank face. Works wonders on my players....
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?