NEWS

Alchemy and Metamagic/Foci

• 5 Replies

Desiani

• Chummer
« on: <03-16-17/1607:49> »
Does metamagoc such as quickening and flux affect spells from alchemy?  If not, is initiation  even worth it for an alchemy focused Aspected magician? 

Are there any of the foci for Alchemy? From the looks of it... only a power focus would affect preparations.  Do the Spellcasting foci (ex. Health Foci) affect a Heal preperation?

« Last Edit: <03-16-17/1612:34> by Desiani »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-16-17/1636:05> »
Alchemy has its own metamagic, Fixation, which makes the preparation last longer before losing potency (days instead of hours).

There are more Alchemy related metamagics in the Street Grimoire, toward the end of the Paths of the Initiates chapter

It also has its own focus, Alchemy foci add to ALL Alchemy tests.

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <03-16-17/1853:03> »
If I am looking at it right, the only meta-magics that affect alchemy preps are fixation and advanced alchemy?  So there isn't a way to Quicken or flux the Spell once it's been triggered and 'cast'?

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-17-17/0701:53> »
I would personally allow quickening and spell shaping  ( Though I would require the shaping to be built into the preparation ) to be used with alchemical preparations.

Also extended masking specifically mentions preparations as well.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-17-17/0731:31> »
Quickening definitely doesn't work with Alchemy. You can only quicken spells that are currently being sustained by the magician, and alchemy preparations sustain themselves (that's kind of the whole point).

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-17-17/1242:24> »
Quickening definitely doesn't work with Alchemy. You can only quicken spells that are currently being sustained by the magician, and alchemy preparations sustain themselves (that's kind of the whole point).

What I meant was that I would allow a alchemical version of quickening as a houserule, same goes for spell shaping, I'm very well aware that the rules for both doesn't include preparations.

I don't think either would be broken as possible meta magics for an aspected alchemist.