NEWS

A Magician's Steed

• 34 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #15 on: <01-24-13/2230:14> »
Put in a horn that shouts, "Exterminate!  Exterminate!" and you'll be set.  Sounds especially great for a para- or quadriplegic. Though y'know, it still goes to show that you should always kill the Daleks before anyone else ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <01-24-13/2238:30> »
And people wonder why I suggest bringing the One-Shot LAW to back up the PAC on milk runs.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <01-25-13/0058:48> »
I would never wonder why.  A one-shot rocket should be standard issue for every shadowrunner team, for every mission.  Remember, kids, there are very few personal problems that can't be solved by a suitable application of high explosives...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-25-13/0144:51> »
You obviously didn't note the utterly pathetic damage rating on the one shot LAW in the book.

Even worse you didn't note the -6 damage per scatter... then bother to look at the scatter rules for rockets.... which pretty much ensure that a LAW will never work unless you're both...
A. insanely lucky... AND...
B. insanely good with heavy weapons

If it weren't for the absolutely awful implementation of rockets and scatter in the game I'd agree... a one-shot LAW would be a great addition to many teams kit...

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <01-25-13/0220:35> »
Man, you're just offensive everywhere, aren't you?

Sorry, Falconer, I haven't ignored anything.  I play, and I GM, and neither myself nor any GM I've ever played with are slaves to the rules the way you certainly seem to be.  So ... you play however you want, but please - remember you aren't The Shadowrun Guru by any stretch of the imagination.
Pananagutan & End/Line

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #20 on: <01-25-13/0403:01> »
You obviously didn't note the utterly pathetic damage rating on the one shot LAW in the book.

Even worse you didn't note the -6 damage per scatter... then bother to look at the scatter rules for rockets.... which pretty much ensure that a LAW will never work unless you're both...

If it weren't for the absolutely awful implementation of rockets and scatter in the game I'd agree... a one-shot LAW would be a great addition to many teams kit...

Or when the person lines up the shot they beat the HELL out of the rules using Edge 8) Granted dreadful Heavy Weapons is a balance issue but I fluff it away as the point at which Shadowrun differs tech wise from us. They get better materiels tech and electronics and we get missile systems that can hit desk blotters from the next State.
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-26-13/0226:27> »
Excuse me... for having the temerity to point out the equipment rules in an official game forum.

If anyone is being offensive here Wyrm... it's you.  With lots of pointless insults not of the system or rules... but aimed squarely at the poster.  If you don't like the rules that's fine.  I'm not the one who wrote them.   By pointing out how horrendously bad it's my hope they FIX them.

But the ad hominems which seem to be your preferred attack form don't do anyone any good on these forums.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <01-26-13/0259:54> »

This is offensive.  This isn't pointing out equipment rules; this is attacking me.  "You obviously didn't note ... Even worse you didn't note ..."

Pointing out issues with equipment would be 'I disagree.  Between the pathetic damage on it, the damage reduction on the scatter, and the scatter rules for rockets, a one-shot LAW is a bad choice.  if those were fixed, it'd be a great addition.'

You didn't do that; you attacked me, and now backpedal (amusingly using a term I've only recently used as being applicable to your own failed-logic attacks on two certain authors) by claiming I'm attacking, and that you're just pointing out equipment rules.

Yeah.  Right.  Pull the other one, it plays 'God Save the Queen'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <01-26-13/1310:47> »
Yeah.  Right.  Pull the other one, it plays 'God Save the Queen'.
What does the first one play?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <01-26-13/1351:04> »
Try glass walls, with AR spray on the other side showing an actual Rigger Cocoon. Then line it with Smart Armour. They use ammo designed to blow through armor? A little explosion counters it. Glass, like the stuff used at Hockey Games, is actually 'bullet proof', and can resist at least a handful of shots.

Line of Sight isn't impaired at all, since photons and the like are still passing through the glass. However, any Street Sam worth their salt is going to have their smartlink up while they shoot at the Dalek (Who now has explosive 'studs' on his main body), and they'll be dealing with your Smart Armor.

Also, significantly cheaper than wrapping yourself in a tin can designed to take grenades.

This thread is now about Mages, Daleks, and protective measures. You're welcome.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <01-26-13/1417:51> »
No idea what the other one plays Canray...

I've just noticed his standard argument involves not addressing the other sides points or just realizing that his opinion is as valid as others on a web forum.  But instead goes to attack the other poster directly.   Call them mentally deficient for not seeing the glorious wisdom of his opinion.   Or attacking them for pointing out rules in this case.... because in his opinion house rules are the answer.

But in a few games I tried exactly that keeping a cheap LAW around for that gtfo option... until I tried to use it and realized that the missile by the rules was so hopelessly inaccurate that even edging it wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn.   Unless we hedged the rules to consider the barn a very large target and scattering 3m to one side or the other still hit it.   But yeah the scattering rules are a bad joke on anyone who tries to use them.  We simply try to keep house rules to a minimum generally for consistency.   (if one guy runs with these rules and another one these... people get confused).

I_V_Saur:
Interesting... but a bullet or puck is a much different animal than an explosive blast wave.
I'd double check those barrier rules for armor glass.   It would most likely be blown out by the smart armor going off.

In which case the rigger is still in a world of hurt... as the OP's wheelchair drone still doesn't have armored passenger protection.....

By the time you're pulling something like this need a big vehicle though (that glass is heavy!)... not a large drone like crash cart or a smaller one like the motorized wheelchair.

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <01-26-13/1740:16> »
*Waves white flag*

My two cents, Falconer didn't (Unless he edited) quote anyone in particular in his first post on this page.

Uses of the word "you" when used in a critical post can lead to a slippery slope, and should be avoided most of the time.

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <01-26-13/2344:28> »
Falconer: Eh, yeah, the explosions probably would mess up anyone inside, even with Plexiglass. (Just remembered the name now.) It might be considered 'overkill' to have three or five layers of plexiglass overlapping, at least one cm apart each, with the outside two or four lined with Smart Armour. Yeah, you lose part of a layer, but it should be plausible, though costly, to stop even a minigun for a Round or two. For a Mage, able to cast LoS, to have that kind of protection, even one-shot, would be worth it on high-risk missions. Have a Trode Net or something on the final layer broadcasting the Dalek skin, so the enemy, if they're using AR, can't even see the damage they're doing.

Now I want to play a Dalek Rigger. Definitely sounds amusing, and I could have my main Drones share the same motif, so nobody would even know which one to shoot.

Come to think of it, hiding inside your own remote-controlled weapon has already been done by Naruto.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <01-27-13/0035:02> »
Yeah... I'm just trying to think how you'd actually do it working within the construction rules...  (sorry I just think it's more interesting trying to do things within the system).

The best I can think of is some variant on the horseman PMV.   With obvious armor(1), smart armor (2), personal armor (1)... then your smart windshields to display are another (1)....    At that point you only have 1 mod slot left... enough for the cocoon if you so desire... but again... you're seeing nothing out of a cocoon... and any of your options periscope... magesight... are going to so constrain your field of view that counterspelling your team is going to be hard keeping them in view.

Since a lot of the daleks can fly... you might aim at that ares replacement for the old redball drone in the RBB (name escapes me)...  but with bod 6 and a lot of cargo capacity... it could concievablly carry a coccon and passenger... though some GM's call for using special cargo/equipment (2) to carry up to a 6 body person on a drone.  With special equipment mod though you might be able to argue for a more traditional vehicle approach with a heavy armored glass windshield...   (but that sucker as a drone technically can get the 18 armor rating... so you may not need the rigger cocoon with it!).

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #29 on: <01-27-13/0151:04> »
'Course, the major problem with a Shadowrunner having something like this, and eventually getting a reputation, will end up with discussions like this...

"What the HELL is that?  It just took out Alpha Squad!"  "I'm calling it a damned good reason to call in the Metroplex Guard."  "Yeah, tell them to send everybody."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11