NEWS

Lets talk WAR!

• 291 Replies

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #75 on: <12-18-10/0043:22> »
I hope I am correct here.

7) I am not quite sure, we have an German in our group and he seems a little bit confused about the treasure hunt (I love treasure hunts, you can do everythign there) in Auschwitz. I said to him that there are only the ghosts of the village people

Sorry about the threadjack, but this made me laugh and I just wanted to thank you for the visual.  My emphasis.

http://ilike.myspacecdn.com/play#Village+People:Macho+Man:15381:s65181.6417.16496.1.1.11%2Cstd_26530e66a10bc4ec7a9d171bdf1169e6

Not even sure if this link works.  :D

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #76 on: <12-18-10/0350:32> »
There is the chapter "WORK BRINGS FREEDOM". Perhaps we misunderstood something, so perhaps something can put some light on it.

Yeah. I penned it. I'd love to help.

I'm sorry, but the write-up seems to be a the attempt of converting a standard D&D-adventure hook into SR. Sort of like Loot the Forbidden Tomb. A dungeon crawl-kind of adventure whose premise is to loot the evil, necromantic artifacts [what should that be, btw? I doubt that it's supported by the rules] - and since evil artifacts are always guarded by evil spirits let's take an evil place... let's take Ausschwitz.  :(
SR canon has made it clear that the place has a extremely high background count and that the spirits roaming there are the former victims and not humble farmers who want to live a life in peace.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #77 on: <12-18-10/0358:17> »
let's take Ausschwitz.  :(
SR canon has made it clear that the place has a extremely high background count and that the spirits roaming there are the former victims and not humble farmers who want to live a life in peace.
Pagerefs would be nice or even just book refs, i know about the background count part, but that second part is news to me and intresting considering that excistance of actual ghost in the setting as a whole hasn't never been really confirmed.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #78 on: <12-18-10/0359:38> »
Shadows of Europe, iirc (am away from my books atm).

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #79 on: <12-18-10/0417:48> »
Oswiecim, from Shadows of Europe:
After the Awakening, many former battlefields and sites of carnage from Europe's many wars became haunted by ghosts.  Even the recent Euro Wars left their mark, as witnessed by the specters lingering in the battlefields of Pustynia near Warsaw-Lodz.  But the most haunted and spiritually corrupt areas by far are those where great massacres occurred, particularly former Nazi concentration camps and the Warsaw ghetto.

The city of Oswiecim stands right next to the Auschwitz-Birkenau, the Nazis' largest concentration camp.  For over twenty years after the Awakening, the ghosts of this camp's victims drove all life from this region, occasionally haunting nearby areas and even Krakow as well.  The Sylvestrines erected a massive spirit barrier (Force 8 ) around the area in 2035, and maintain it to this day along with patrols of watchers.

Within the barrier, thousands of apparitions, specters, and unique ghosts (see pp. 120-2, MitS) are contained, waiting to unleash their pain, misery, and wrath on any metahumans foolish enough to venture within.  The camp itself has a Background Count of 5 (petering down to 3 in Oswiecim and 2 or 1 a few kilometers out), and the gas chambers and other buildings razed by the Nazis to hide their atrocities appear as (sometimes materialized) astral constructs (see pp. 100-2, T: AL).
So, really, all War! did was knock down the barrier and introduce some guy to spread rumors about necromantic artifacts (which a GM may or may not want to stat up), in order to get people to pay him money and equip themselves to go kill ghosts.

Ghosts that have been there since SR3, six years ago.
« Last Edit: <12-18-10/0421:02> by Critias »

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #80 on: <12-18-10/0418:56> »
The details about the ghosts of Auschwitz are in the Poland section of Shadows of Europe.  I wonder if other former concentration camps have similar?

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #81 on: <12-18-10/0422:20> »

Thanks for the page reference. I never had a problem with Ghosts, but with necromantic artifacts and the premise of using Auschwitz as a lame excuse for a dungeon-crawl.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #82 on: <12-18-10/0429:37> »

Thanks for the page reference.
I, uh, actually forgot the page reference, now that you mention it.  229, just for the record.

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #83 on: <12-18-10/0431:49> »
Minor details! :D

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #84 on: <12-18-10/0451:55> »
Are you kiddin'?  Don't tell any of my professors I quoted something -- even in a forum post -- without a proper citation, they'll skin me alive!   :o

blorgh

• Newb
« Reply #85 on: <12-18-10/0455:36> »
It's supposed to be very functionally similar to the one in Ireland.
You mean Tír na nÓg. And no, it does not:
Quote from: Shadows of Europe
The Sylvestrines erected a massive spirit barrier (Force 8 ) around the area in 2035, and maintain it to this day along with patrols of watchers.
It was there to keep the spectres in, not people out. You could go there and loot the city all day long while "killing" ghosts that would return anyway. No need to knock the barrier down and risking retribution by the Sylvestrines.

Since you seem new to this: Spirit Barriers is a variant of Astral Barrier limited to spirits. While Astral Barrier only affected astral and dual beings, Spirit Barrier only affected Spirits, so even astrally perceiving awakened could cross it just fine. (Not that it's a good idea to walk around like that near Auschwitz.)
Again, that's a rumor.
Unfortunately, it sure doesn't sound that way.
It should have been villagers. I haven't read the final version, but it was supposed to be all natives, not prisoners.
Unfortunately, it's mostely the prisoners that turned into ghost, sprectres and the like:
Quote from: Shadows of Europe
The city of Oswiecim stands right next to the Auschwitz-Birkenau, the Nazis' largest concentration camp.  For over twenty years after the Awakening, the ghosts of this camp's victims drove all life from this region, occasionally haunting nearby areas and even Krakow as well.
« Last Edit: <12-18-10/0500:58> by blorgh »

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #86 on: <12-18-10/0511:10> »
Are you kiddin'?  Don't tell any of my professors I quoted something -- even in a forum post -- without a proper citation, they'll skin me alive!   :o

;D

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #87 on: <12-18-10/0513:55> »
That's a great idea. Start selling a story about "necromantic artifacts" to the DF and the Atlanteans. Get together a heavy team, get the standard half up front and access to milspec gear. Go shopping. . .and run away as fast as you can with a fist full of Availability 30F loot!

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #88 on: <12-18-10/0515:03> »
That's a great idea. Start selling a story about "necromantic artifacts" to the DF and the Atlanteans. Get together a heavy team, get the standard half up front and access to milspec gear. Go shopping. . .and run away as fast as you can with a fist full of Availability 30F loot!
Except for the part about trying to run away from groups like the DF and Atlanteans, at least.   ;D

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #89 on: <12-18-10/0528:18> »
We're discussing War! in the German Forums too and most of the Poster/SR-Players don't like
the Idea of sending their Runners on a "Auschwitz Dungeon Crawl " and shooting the Ghosts/Spirits of the Concentration Camps Victims.
That was not a good Idea of CGL (spoken politely) !

Hough!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8