NEWS

Lets talk WAR!

• 291 Replies

Stormdrake

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <12-16-10/1145:21> »
I think if you were to use a monofiliment gernade in a jungle setting you could chop a lot of brush down.  More than a regular gernade would at least.  The other thing is that if you are in the area where a monofiliment gernade went off you could suffer damage in later turns as you try and get out.  No it would not stick to walls or anything but being in the blast area means you are likely to have the stuff all over you.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #31 on: <12-16-10/1147:03> »
Well, that brings up the question the of how do you "clean" an area where a monofilament grenade went off?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #32 on: <12-16-10/1152:10> »
Well, that brings up the question the of how do you "clean" an area where a monofilament grenade went off?
Clean it of monofilament, or clean it of the human leftovers after the blast?

'Cause I was thinking a water elemental to really rinse it down, myself...   ;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #33 on: <12-16-10/1203:56> »
Clean it of monofilament. I mean, if it's going to be troublesome after the blast so you can't walk through the area...

Stormdrake

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <12-16-10/1205:48> »

Something the developer (I mean in game manafacturer by that) really did not care about.  For real life examples look at mines and minefields all over the Middle East.  This could indicate that the gernade is meant to be used from a defensive point as its use just adds more stuff the enemy has to deal with to get at your location.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #35 on: <12-16-10/1248:41> »
Clean it of monofilament. I mean, if it's going to be troublesome after the blast so you can't walk through the area...
I know, I just wanted to work in a water elemental/squeegee joke, is all.   ;)

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #36 on: <12-16-10/1251:30> »
Use a magnet? :P
Even a mormon could do this, i bet.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #37 on: <12-16-10/1419:20> »
That's assuming the nanowire is made of ferrous material and not another material. I'd think, because of it's strength, it's probably made of carbon or some carbonite blend of materials, preventing it from being detected by magnetic anomaly and metal detectors.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #38 on: <12-16-10/1425:46> »
Well, probably. Any adhesive substance would suffice, like scotch monotape, or some kind of adhesive gel.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #39 on: <12-16-10/1540:57> »
I'd suspect that the grenade is actually made of a degradable substance of some sort, or designed so that the molecular cohesion breaks down after a couple of hours or days.  If for no other reason than you wouldn't want to risk your own troops using them on the enemy, taking that position, and then a couple of them "tripping" over the loose line on the ground and cutting their own feet off.

Man, I'm going to have FUN with these if any player of mine ever decides to use them  They're a little bit like Shadowruns version of a Deck of Many things.  Very cool when they work, and they suck balls when they do not.

Bull

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #40 on: <12-16-10/1542:29> »

I'm going to admit that I'm not sure just what that second line is trying to communicate, but the phraseology "Even a mormon" raises some alarms. Please be cautious about painting people of a religion with an overly broad brush. We'll count this as an admonition, not a warning, for the moment.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #41 on: <12-16-10/1544:20> »
I would figure that a bunch of small bits of wire that will cut through anything will happily work their way below ground level once their initial explosive velocity is spent. Sooner or later they'll run into something caustic or hot enough to break down their chemical structure.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #42 on: <12-16-10/1544:51> »
I figured he meant "moron" and just typoed, myself, for what it's worth.

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #43 on: <12-16-10/1546:07> »
I figured he meant "moron" and just typoed, myself, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I thought that might be one possibility.

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #44 on: <12-16-10/1554:39> »
I'm going to admit that I'm not sure just what that second line is trying to communicate, but the phraseology "Even a mormon" raises some alarms. Please be cautious about painting people of a religion with an overly broad brush. We'll count this as an admonition, not a warning, for the moment.
JM, i don't have anything against Mormons (damn, i didn't use Capital M though, my bad). It's just a recurring trolling meme involving a chat room with Mormon evangelists getting pestered with the question 'How do magnets work' by trolls.
If it sounded like i'm discriminating this religion, then i apologize. It won't happen again.