NEWS

That fragging Remington Roomsweeper

• 6 Replies

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« on: <05-10-15/2134:34> »
Alright... so was playing a game of Crossfire yesterday and one card resulted in one hellova argument, the Remington Roomsweeper.

Basically it all boils down to the card being poorly written leaving two clear interpretations.

A: The Remington Roomsweeper deals damage to a target, it then deals damage to every obstacle and/or boss facing the same runner.

B: The Remington Roomsweeper deals damage to every obstacle and/or boss facing the selected runner.

The way the card is written, both are clearly viable interpretations of the rules. Even the FAQ at the back of the rulebook doesn't really clarify this problem.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

graven2002

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <05-11-15/1207:26> »
Interpretation "B" (only obstacles facing one runner) is correct.  It makes sense if you think about it thematically, but I also found proof in print.

This article contains an earlier prototype of the card with more explicit text:
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2013/07/crossfire-why-i-like-to-play-the-street-samurai-simplicity-with-versatility/

Further, the "Crossfire with the Designers" videos show it being played as interpretation B.
Hopefully this satisfies your group!

Jamelfr

• Chummer
  • Nerps for beer. Nerps for president.
« Reply #2 on: <05-11-15/2350:22> »
Unless SevenSpirits (one of the designers) posts otherwise, I would go too with Grave's answer and the proof he has found (I've always played the "B" way anyway).

Btw, I would suggest to add the card text when asking a question about interpretation: since a single word can change the way a card is played, having the exact words can be really useful to the discussion. And yeah some cards can be hard to interpret in the middle of a game!

Happy game sessions! :)

daclown

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-22-15/2112:34> »
For future reference, the text on the Remington Roomsweeper is " *Damage: Deal REMINGTON ROOMSWEEPER'S damage to each obstacle and boss facing one runner."

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-05-15/1938:09> »
Alright... so was playing a game of Crossfire yesterday and one card resulted in one hellova argument, the Remington Roomsweeper.

Basically it all boils down to the card being poorly written leaving two clear interpretations.

A: The Remington Roomsweeper deals damage to a target, it then deals damage to every obstacle and/or boss facing the same runner.

B: The Remington Roomsweeper deals damage to every obstacle and/or boss facing the selected runner.

The way the card is written, both are clearly viable interpretations of the rules. Even the FAQ at the back of the rulebook doesn't really clarify this problem.

Unless I miss my guess interpretation A would lead to the target getting hit by the roomsweeper twice? Once when it's targeted by the roomsweeper and again when the secondary effect hits dealing damage to all obstacles/bosses in front of that runner including the target that got hit by the initial ability. I'm going to have to go with B on the basis that it's a fairly low cost card and that's a pretty devastating ability for a card most runners can by with their starting nuyen.

d3rNarr

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-26-16/1801:29> »
In the Card Explanation on page 24 it reads

Remingtion Roomsweeper: You determine which obstacle Remington Roomsweeper damages when you apply damage. Once you start applying damage, you choose a runner and Remington Roomsweeper does damage to all the obstacles and bosses facing that runner. Use counters to mark the extra instances of the Remington Roomsweeper damage. If you play a Katana on the same turn as Remington Roomsweeper, the damage to every obstacle of boss that Roomsweeper damages is increased.

For me this explanation reads as interpretation B. You only apply damage after starting applying damage and then you only choose one runner and every obstacle in front of that damage makes the damage immediately.

The first sentence does not make any sense, when we assume interpretation A is the intended interpretation. In interpretation A we would put Remington Roomsweeper next to an obstacle and then during the applying damage phase the Remington Roomsweeper would do additional damage to all obstacles facing a runner.

Additionally, it reads in a way that the damage to all obstacles must be applied at once. This must be taken into account if for example a fireball is played in the same round, which makes level damage to several targets.

SirViss

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-21-16/2218:23> »
In the Card Explanation on page 24 it reads

Remingtion Roomsweeper: You determine which obstacle Remington Roomsweeper damages when you apply damage. Once you start applying damage, you choose a runner and Remington Roomsweeper does damage to all the obstacles and bosses facing that runner. Use counters to mark the extra instances of the Remington Roomsweeper damage. If you play a Katana on the same turn as Remington Roomsweeper, the damage to every obstacle of boss that Roomsweeper damages is increased.

Actually, there is a small mistake with that quote. Trust me it is easy to miss, as I read it 5 times in the last 3 days before I spotted it.

Remingtion Roomsweeper: You determine which obstacleS Remington Roomsweeper damages when you apply damage. Once you start applying damage, you choose a runner and Remington Roomsweeper does damage to all the obstacles and bosses facing that runner. Use counters to mark the extra instances of the Remington Roomsweeper damage. If you play a Katana on the same turn as Remington Roomsweeper, the damage to every obstacle of boss that Roomsweeper damages is increased.

That first sentence really emphasizes the fact that this is supposed to be able to affect more than one target, and you have to really parse this paragraph carefully to get its meaning.

• You determine which obstacles Remington Roomsweeper damages when you apply damage.

Basically, you put out the card and say "I will use this for damage." No targets have been chosen yet, as the Damage Phase has not started yet.

• Once you start applying damage, you choose a runner and Remington Roomsweeper does damage to all the obstacles and bosses facing that runner.

So you never choose a target for this card per se. You simply choose a runner and every thing in front of it takes the Roomsweeper`s damage. So the answer to the OP is (B). At least as far a I can tell.
« Last Edit: <02-21-16/2221:00> by SirViss »