NEWS

Here's what i'm doing, dammit! [PbP PvP 5ed] recruiting closed.

• 366 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #60 on: <09-30-14/1457:33> »
@Poindexter, for my freebie interest points, I'm considering the following.  Most are not at all related to game play, so let me know if you think I'm handicapping myself.

20th Century Anarchist Punk Music (American Oi) 4
20th Century Films (Criterion Collection) 3
Anarchist Philosophy (Neo-Anarchist) (Anarcho-Syndicalism) 4
Voodoo 1

I'd go...
music (20th century american oi)
films (criterion collection)
philosophy (neo-anarchist)
religion (voodoo)
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

cowleyc

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <10-01-14/0343:24> »
Heel.

Handle: Alexei "Dogmeat" Karamazov

Metatype/Sex/Age: Dwarf/Male/25

Archetype: Dog Shaman, Backup-Face.

Physical Description: An average sized Dwarf with golden eyes, an athletic build, and a hint of wet dog.  Wears a fine business suit with shades, a commlink clearly visible as the mic sits in the ear.  A bulge in the chest implies a large pistol, and several shamanic necklaces detract from the seriousness the Dwarf tries to exude.  His long hair is tied neatly in the back, and his beard is both neatly groomed and decorated with beads and totems. 

Personality: Loyal to a fault, Dogmeat trusts his team completely.  He is not afraid to speak his mind if he feels something is wrong, but is easily persuaded otherwise.  He is a good dog.  Generally a calm person, will defend his crew to the death if even one would survive.

History: Born in Chicago, Alexei Ivanovich Karamazov took to the streets like any other.  And he was good.  So good that the local PensoDyne branch snatched him up to serve in the Special Security Detail.  He worked this position for several years, learning both the science of Biotech and the art of protection; his natural talents served him well in all aspects.  But as they say, you can take the dog out of the street, but you can never take the street out of the dog.  Or something like that.  What I'm getting at is that a local gang made a run on the factory to both destroy a particular project and collect evidence.  When the Runners left, Alexei was at their heel.  Who's a good dog?  You're damn right, Alexei is a good dog.

Originally this character was designed as a regular runner coming from a large Corp, but I think he can be shoved in Chicago just as well as anywhere.  While he is Charismatic, he is not a leader.  This Shaman is a follower, and is happy with that.  He has no problem taking orders, be they to steal a document or eliminate a rival ganger.  He is a good dog.

EDIT: If this guy isn't quite appropriate for the streets, I can slap together an alcoholic Ork rockstar instead.
« Last Edit: <10-01-14/0856:26> by cowleyc »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #62 on: <10-01-14/1110:07> »
@Poindexter, ok, cool.  I'll do what you have outlined except I'll change the specialization in American oi to anarcho-punk.  Thanks.

What about:

I currently have 4 more points to play with.  Is it kosher to use area knowledge, or squatter lifestyle or something like that?

and

@Poindexter, would you allow a weapon to be outfitted with both a suppressor and a gas vent system, so long as only one of those was enabled at any given time?  The way I see this functioning is, a suppressor is outfitted to be attached below the gas vent system, nullifying its recoil benefit but allowing the weapon to be used stealthily.  Thoughts?

@8-bit, how about this?

Bao Stephano: Anarchist Black Crescent medic, Connection: 2

Of Vietnamese and Italian ancestry, Bao is a bruiser of an ork who tools around the mean streets of Chicago on a bicycle that he's adapted to be a med station on wheels.  He typically wears a nón lá that has crescents spray painted across its top, has a reddish tint to his straight brown hair, and is fond of referring to his "appointments" as a "stitch and bitch."  He's given surprising berth by the Ancients, and it's rumored that he may know a guy or two in The Makers.

"Hoi, is that all chummer," Bao said as he sprayed down his gloves with homemade vinegar.  "Well, brush that glass aside b'fore you lay down and let me take a look.  We gotta make this quick, I got a stitch and bitch at 9:00."
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #63 on: <10-01-14/1146:43> »
@rednblack

Sounds perfect. The 7 points I have can get me 5 loyalty, which will really be useful to have a good understanding with a Medic of sorts. Chicago is a dangerous place, so that will be helpful.

@cowleyc

I like the concept, but I'm not sure if there was a PensoDyne branch to take him in. If he was born 25 years ago, that makes him born in 2050, making him about 5 years old when the Containment Zone went up. What corp is PensoDyne a subsidiary of? From what I remember, there were three main corps still "working" (using the term loosely) in the CZ while it was up. Ares, with their Knight Errant forces sent to squash out the bugs; Truman Technologies, now a subsidiary of Horizon; and Fuchi Industrial Electronics (now split off and all their information has been split between several corporations; Neonet got most of the Matrix techonology). There was also the UCAS Steel and Manufacturing Industry that maintained a security detail during Bug City.

I'm not sure which corp, if any, that PensoDyne is associated with, but I think you're story could work just fine if it's shifted towards the corps that are in Chicago. Chicago is a pretty rough and unique exception to the norm, due to all the crazy stuff that has happened to it. You will find more corps nowadays (2075; there was a lot of governmental action to reclaim Chicago as a part of the UCAS in elections), but back then when he would have been younger, then the Containment Zone was much more heavily enforced. Basically, besides Ares, the only corps that operated there were those that were trapped inside.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #64 on: <10-01-14/1225:57> »
they are an EVO subsidiary. As long as the GM is cool with it, I'm fine. The megas have their fingers in a lot of pies. Just because they weren't a big player in the area doesn't mean they weren't there at all. Or maybe he came to the CZ to carve out a piece of that pie for Evo in the hopes of getting back in their good graces. His back story is found here!

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18194.0
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

8-bit

« Reply #65 on: <10-01-14/1234:29> »
As am I; all the corps had some sort of presence in Bug City before the Containment Zone was set up. It's pretty likely that Evo had a PensoDyne that didn't have time to pack up and leave. I didn't mean any disrespect to the concept, I love it; I just wasn't sure how it fit in with Chicago's interesting predicament. If the GM is fine with it, then I think it's a really good idea.

cowleyc

• Newb
« Reply #66 on: <10-01-14/1252:30> »
Nah, I'm not too worried about it.  If he doesn't fit, I don't need to shoehorn him in.  I'm fairly new to the system, don't know the whole history.  I can slap together a rocker after work today, one that fits in a lot better.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #67 on: <10-01-14/1255:05> »
I would say wait on Pointdexter's decision before doing that. After all, why go through all the trouble of creating a new character if you're current characters story will fit just fine?

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #68 on: <10-01-14/1348:53> »
Nah, I'm not too worried about it.  If he doesn't fit, I don't need to shoehorn him in.  I'm fairly new to the system, don't know the whole history.  I can slap together a rocker after work today, one that fits in a lot better.

you really oughtta read the chicago section of "Feral Cities".
« Last Edit: <10-05-14/1532:25> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #69 on: <10-01-14/1618:14> »
I currently have 4 more points to play with.  Is it kosher to use area knowledge, or squatter lifestyle or something like that?

could you rephrase the question? im not sure i understand what you're asking.

@Poindexter, would you allow a weapon to be outfitted with both a suppressor and a gas vent system, so long as only one of those was enabled at any given time?  The way I see this functioning is, a suppressor is outfitted to be attached below the gas vent system, nullifying its recoil benefit but allowing the weapon to be used stealthily.  Thoughts?

Sure, just buy you a slidemount and take the time required to switch em out.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #70 on: <10-01-14/1618:34> »
I'm gonna leave town for a funeral tomorrow afternoon, and will not be back to a computer till monday. Sorry for any inconvenience.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #71 on: <10-01-14/1626:53> »
I'm gonna leave town for a funeral tomorrow afternoon, and will not be back to a computer till monday. Sorry for any inconvenience.

That's no problem, my condolences and have a safe trip.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #72 on: <10-01-14/1729:44> »

could you rephrase the question? im not sure i understand what you're asking.

I'm wondering if I can use some of the bonus interest points you gave us for Area Knowledge: Chicago, or Squatter Lifestyle. Since I could see them being used in game I wanted to double check with you, as I don't want to abuse the system.

Thanks on the suppressor/gas vent thing. I'll pick up a slide mount.

Sorry for your loss, man. Safe travels.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

cowleyc

• Newb
« Reply #73 on: <10-02-14/1354:27> »
How about this guy instead?  Just a grungy ork trying to rock and stick it to the man.

Handle: Rigel Rocksford "Rokbotum" (Always written faux-runic)

Metatype/Sex/Age: Ork/Male/20

Archetype: RAWKSTAAAAH (Generalist)

Physical Description: Like most Orks, Rokbotum is pretty ugly.  His young body shows signs of advanced alcoholism, and his nose has clearly been broken more times than he can count.  He dresses in chainmail and a leather jacket, not for combat efficiency but to be true to himself.  His hair is long and blonde, eyes grey, and tusks adorned with jewelry.  Slung across his back is his trusty AK.

Personality: Brave as all hell, the spirit of the Berserker thrives within this entertainer.  While not so brave as to be stupid, he is still in fact pretty stupid.  His connection to The Berserker puts his life at risk quite often, but no more so than his shows usually do.  He has a general sense of honor, though nothing to bet your life on.  He lives to rock.

History: Born in Chicago, Rokbotum originally avoided the streets to pursue a music career; however, he really didn't gain any recognition until he goblinized.  He went through countless bands, and is sure you've heard of them.  AC/DC/PC, Mithrillica, Rocksford and Sons...  He finally gained some small fame when he fronted the band Amon Amork, a Nordic Metal band.  Through this band he discovered The Berserker, who was pleased with the violence and energy at the shows.  It was after he Awakened that his manager started slowly pushing him towards the shadows, which he was found to have a talent for.

I feel this character better represents the area, and doesnt rely on shoehorning an entire corp subsidiary into the map.  He's an Ork Magician with the Berserker mentor spirit and Shinto tradition (just fits the theme best).  His main contact is his manager/fixer Michael Hex.  Michael is a typical business man, trying to spread his greedy hands into everything he can reach.

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #74 on: <10-03-14/1034:55> »
could we update the initial post with rednblack as Baby Hardcore in group one?

@Cowleyc
Is Rokbotum a face, a bruiser, something else, all of the above? Would you be interested in captaining team two? The boss man said we had to make our runners and put ourselves into teams before he gets this off the ground. It would be nice to have someone recruiting for team two!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"