NEWS

[SR5] Lockdown

• 115 Replies

Pixie

« Reply #45 on: <04-28-15/1634:12> »
I think I was a backer.  I had early access at least.  Is there a way to check?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #46 on: <04-28-15/1838:49> »
Not sure...you can always head to the KS site...once logged in, should indicate the level you pledged.

Pixie

« Reply #47 on: <04-28-15/2309:39> »
Le poop.  No such luck.  My husband backed Hong Kong, but not Boston.  *slaps husband*

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <04-28-15/2325:30> »
If you used Steam key you can purchase an upgrade and/or RPG version there...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Pixie

« Reply #49 on: <04-29-15/0202:16> »
He bought it for us on Steam, so we might upgrade to the RPG edition.  :)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <04-29-15/0847:41> »
Le poop.  No such luck.  My husband backed Hong Kong, but not Boston.  *slaps husband*
In fairness, this game has been in development a LONG time...funded back in Aug 2012...nearly 2 and a half years ago.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #51 on: <04-30-15/0631:59> »
A nice bonus (don't remember them as being part of the rewards) is the booklet of 4-5 adventures set in Boston that are based on the QS rules. Great way to segue from digital to pen and paper ;D

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #52 on: <05-01-15/1558:15> »
I'm currently browsing through the Boston Lockdown book, and was doubly surprised: not only I made it as a prime runner in the book, but my friend Yaksha, with whom I co-founded my SR website Fondation Draco and who tragically passed away in 2006, also got a mention in the book (his SR character did, at least).
I remember suggesting his name to the SRO devs a couple of years ago, if they ever needed some extra runner names to drop in there, but I wasn't actually expecting them to do it in the book.
That's pretty awesome of Cliffhanger and the book's writers.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <05-01-15/1635:29> »
I'll let them know.

Scott Schletz

• Newb
« Reply #54 on: <05-01-15/1744:58> »
Oh. They know.

It's an honor to write for a game you love. It's even more of an honor to be able to write into the history of the game world, those who work hard to shape it and support it in real life.

Thank you to all who backed it. You gave me a chance to let my insanity explode through an entire book; let me make shout outs to all you who backed it; and well, you all just make me feel appreciated.

A HUGE THANKS!

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <05-01-15/1928:59> »
Oh. They know.

It's an honor to write for a game you love. It's even more of an honor to be able to write into the history of the game world, those who work hard to shape it and support it in real life.

Thank you to all who backed it. You gave me a chance to let my insanity explode through an entire book; let me make shout outs to all you who backed it; and well, you all just make me feel appreciated.

A HUGE THANKS!

Thank YOU for the great book Scott. I still haven't read all of it yet, but so far I've had a blast. Lockdown is a great entry in the SR5 line and a worthy addition to the Shadowrun mythos in general :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #56 on: <05-02-15/0303:36> »
Still reading this.

Why is there no map of Boston?

You know what I like about Shadowrun source books, is how educational they are. I have no idea that it was called the Hub of the Universe, a very stupid name that I questioned its legitimacy. But some quick googling, it's legit. I get to learn about the Green Monster. And you know, its pretty cool. With that said, the location section was kind of a boring read. I read it all assuming there would be some jem in there. And if there was I must have glazed over it.

I like the subtle code /dev/grl had for her parents. Didn't piece that together until I remembered what her hometown is and what she'd keep there.

The new Jackpointers are annoying, but I realize will be necessary because the old ones will get geeked sooner or later.

I love that there is a local Boston runner named /dev/boi. I thought that was really cute.

I really liked DC. I always loved the idea of the naive youth. In fact I love this entire reporter idea. Its good. This entire section of the book is pure gold. I love how it starts so mundane like no one even cares followed by post apocalyptic survival. Civilization sure did break down quickly.

I wonder what's up with that spirit that saved AJ in the water. Wild spirit maybe? Or maybe a friendly shaman put it there to keep people out of trouble.

I love the part on Logan Airport. A dude gets shot and when the team comes back to pick him up, he's all better? Yeah? Almost like something inside him healed him up? And oh, what's this officer's training? Come to Logan Airport and be apart of something, eh? Worse than the bugs.

I'm still reading, but man, this is a hell of a ride.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
« Reply #57 on: <05-02-15/2134:23> »
***Big Spoilers ahead. So don't read if you don't want to know***

I just finished the book.

There were parts I enjoyed. I'm surprised how much AJ grew on me. Still not sure if he's dead or a head case now.

And there are things that I highly question. The Megas seem to be awfully cooperative. Which is very strange. And the QZ seemed to go up very quickly. And on top of that I'm not entirely sure why everyone isn't infected when the nanites can reproduce so quickly.

I also find the idea of being able to copy or make instances of AI's a bit problematic. Some headcases are made from incomplete AI codes, which is why we got shamblers and ragers, or so I assume. So my problem is, I'm hoping the rules for AI PCs make a comeback, but the idea that a PC can infinitely copy themselves with nanites, I don't know about that. I kind of thought it was going to be like being in multiple nodes in SR4 or something. There is only 1 AI, but they can have an open subscription to run on devices or on a cloud of nanites, and that if they're in a headcase, the nanites would just transmite back the data to the AI home node to keep everything in sync.

Then the million dollar twist, I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the return of Deus. I was perfectly okay with the old school super AI's being dead. But even then, I don't get why Pax would help Deus, she hates him. I don't understand how Deus and Cerberus were able to make a new AI just by fighting each other. What was Deus doing for over 10 years? Hanging out on Mars I guess. How did he survive Crash 2.0? He was at point blank range of Jormungand, and then I thought there was an EMP that knocked out most of the Matrix in Boston.

I realize this book can't answer everything, and it at least did tell us a bit more of how CFD started and the reasons why.

I think I'd have much rather liked to see a new AI rather than Deus.The Arcology and Crash 2.0 will be a hard act to follow. If this was a brand new AI with new alien motivations, I at least wouldn't need to compare it to what came before. But because it's the same players from before, I now can't but help but compare it. That means Gagarin is Renraku Arcology 2, and Lockdown is a combination of Bug City and System Failure. Is that a good thing? I don't know...

Is Neurosis a separate AI? Stolen Souls implied so. And he never showed up in Lockdown, so the question is still open.

And if Deus is still around that means Mirage and Morgan are still around. What have they been doing for a decade? Hanging out on Mars too?

So many questions, so few answers.

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #58 on: <05-06-15/0355:20> »
I'm currently browsing through the Boston Lockdown book, and was doubly surprised: not only I made it as a prime runner in the book, but my friend Yaksha, with whom I co-founded my SR website Fondation Draco and who tragically passed away in 2006, also got a mention in the book (his SR character did, at least).
I remember suggesting his name to the SRO devs a couple of years ago, if they ever needed some extra runner names to drop in there, but I wasn't actually expecting them to do it in the book.
That's pretty awesome of Cliffhanger and the book's writers.

Since he's now part of the Shadowrun lore, I couldn't resist recreating my character, Marzhin the Dwarf Adept, in the Shadowrun Chronicles video game as well :)

(Groucho Marx)

DeathStrobe

• Omae
« Reply #59 on: <05-06-15/1142:17> »
Are you a dwarf? There does seem to be a lack of major dwarven prime runners for some reason.