NEWS

6th World Box Set Play Experience

• 114 Replies

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #75 on: <06-28-19/1341:55> »
The only thing I am really worried about is the role of armor.
Would the combats have turned out very differently if all PCs had been naked?

Yes the characters with lower AR felt the impact. The mage was obliterated, everyone wanted to shoot him because they would get an edge. He was caught in the open with no cover and crappy armor.

Everyone shooting the same guy doesn’t mean the armor helped or hindered significantly. It just meant PCs gamed the system to farm edge. As a GM I don’t do that. So I’m not sure it will have a impact in play much.

We didn't know the rules very well during the first round, so the mage getting ganked in the first round was a result of politics, a couple players had grudge with the player. After the first player, the street sam, obliterated him, it was open season. The face finished him off next initiative. The face convinced the street sam that since they had the same contacts, they were friends and should team up to kill the mage. The face was the mage's brother in real life and they had a fight that day. I had to put a stop to that quick and let the mage survive.

After the first round every player used a minor to find cover. The mage will go down in infamy for providing that lesson.

In the basic set at least mages don't seem as powerful as they once were. Having a lower DV and body really took it's toll. Mage made himself pass out from drain to fireball the sam and face.

Do you think that’s due to the system inherently, or possibly a bad build in the sample message? They just being able to casually ignore drain as always seem to be the crux of an over powered mage. Would be really awesome if they finally managed to find the balance between cost and award with spellcasting and drain.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #76 on: <06-28-19/1926:04> »
Finally got my hands on mine, will post full thoughts later after I read it all but first glance. I love that there’s some humor thrown into the descriptive parts. The ‘what you know them for’ for the big 10 was awesome!

David Chart

• Newb
« Reply #77 on: <06-28-19/2023:59> »
At no point in the one game I ran, did the players save up edge from an unrealistic reward and spend it later. They always used it pretty much used it immediately. If you are saving up and sitting on  your edge in 6e, you don't get the mechanic.

Given that it seems that edge doesn't carry over between scenes, and gets spent quickly, it sounds as though it is just working as a unified mechanic to simplify modifiers, rather than adding a serious gamist element, so that's in line with earlier editions. I'm now generally optimistic about the new rules, based on what I've seen and heard.
David Chart
Waiting for Ryumyo
http://www.davidchart.com/

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #78 on: <07-06-19/1643:14> »
Played a game with the Rigger, the Decker and the Combat Mage. Due to circumstances the Mage didn't get to throw a lot of spells around. Rigger spent Edge because otherwise the next Edge gain would poof on the hard cap of 7 total, Decker spent Edge on several crucial rolls and quickly ran out . 2 Edge to turn a 4 into a 5 was the most popular Edge move. Making an opponent reroll also happened when Edge was short and 2 hits more/less were needed.

I probably should have given a bonus Edge for rerouting the ganger-lieutenant's call to Kalanyr to 911 instead. Could have given Edge for smart tactical moves as well, such as informing the Stuffer Shack Agent that there were too many gangmembers nearby. Still need to get used to giving out Edge more freely for neat actions. I did give the Rigger bonus Edge for sneaking underneath vehicles before opening fire, counting it as circumstantial benefit on each attack.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #79 on: <07-06-19/1727:21> »
How did your players find it?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #80 on: <07-06-19/2314:43> »
I probably should have given a bonus Edge for rerouting the ganger-lieutenant's call to Kalanyr to 911 instead. Could have given Edge for smart tactical moves as well, such as informing the Stuffer Shack Agent that there were too many gangmembers nearby. Still need to get used to giving out Edge more freely for neat actions. I did give the Rigger bonus Edge for sneaking underneath vehicles before opening fire, counting it as circumstantial benefit on each attack.

Is that a system suggestion or a house rule?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #81 on: <07-07-19/0428:25> »
How did your players find it?
Not enough real combat to really get a grip on things but the short summary is 'Edge is more fun' and 'Matrix seems more streamlined'. They also had a blast about chasing off the goons by taking down a few of them, PR Composure Tests for the win!

One player joked about the possibility of using Matrix Perception on civvies to heal damage and I pointed out the rules in Core explicitly support a GM blocking Edge abuse. It's nice for a demo agent to be able to bring in the full rules for experienced players trying to do complicated things, though it wasn't really necessary.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #82 on: <07-07-19/0725:48> »
Interesting, thanks. Looking forward to diving into the box set when I can get my hands on it. Similarly, for the core book...guess were less than 30 days before we see it!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #83 on: <07-07-19/0738:59> »

Is that a system suggestion or a house rule?

It's just like 5th where a GM can hand out Edge for doing cool stuff, as well as the stated 6th Edition giving out Edge for some kind of Tactical advantage. 

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #84 on: <07-08-19/1327:49> »
Can anyone explain the timing as to when Edge is received/spent during a combat in regards to the 7 Edge limit pool? For instance, if I have 6 Edge prior to combat can I spend 1 Edge for a +3 init and then gain 2 Edge (effectively making my pool 8 for the round) once combat kicks off? Can I then use that gained Edge during my first combat round? Anyone know if there are any positive qualities that increase your temp Edge pool to 8? I have seen concerns that fast characters don't have the same advantage in 6e as other editions but I can already see gun bunnies with 2 major actions ending pretty much any combat before it even starts unless the Edge rules are thoroughly described and limited.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #85 on: <07-08-19/1339:30> »
Can anyone explain the timing as to when Edge is received/spent during a combat in regards to the 7 Edge limit pool? For instance, if I have 6 Edge prior to combat can I spend 1 Edge for a +3 init and then gain 2 Edge (effectively making my pool 8 for the round) once combat kicks off? Can I then use that gained Edge during my first combat round? Anyone know if there are any positive qualities that increase your temp Edge pool to 8? I have seen concerns that fast characters don't have the same advantage in 6e as other editions but I can already see gun bunnies with 2 major actions ending pretty much any combat before it even starts unless the Edge rules are thoroughly described and limited.

It is based on simple order of operations, using your example your Edge never reaches 8 ... start at 6, spend 1 (now 5), then gain 2 (now 7).
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #86 on: <07-08-19/1425:28> »
It is based on simple order of operations, using your example your Edge never reaches 8 ... start at 6, spend 1 (now 5), then gain 2 (now 7).

Right, but it effectively gives a pool of 8.

I am more interested in something like this:
High init, 6 edge to start, 2 major actions.
1) Spend 4 edge to target everyone (probably limited based on reaction but whatever) with full dice pool (before any opposed tests occur) Edge now down to two.
2) Gain Edge based on opposed tests. Edge now up to 4
3) Shoot at everyone
4) Get 2nd attack
5) Spend 4 Edge to shoot at everyone with full pool. Edge now zero.

Edge never went above 6 but you effectively got to spend 8 Edge.

It seems like a fast gun bunny could probably attack everyone within range with his full dice pool - twice before they even get to act. Since it sounds like 6e is more lethal lots of fights could be ended by 1 fast gun bunny.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #87 on: <07-08-19/1438:59> »
You need to do Multiple Attacks as well for that so it costs mM to perform. And Anticipation costs you a minimum of 2 turns in Edge so it's rather expensive.
« Last Edit: <07-08-19/1440:33> by Michael Chandra »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #88 on: <07-08-19/1529:57> »

1) Spend 4 edge to target everyone (probably limited based on reaction but whatever) with full dice pool (before any opposed tests occur) Edge now down to two.
3) Shoot at everyone
4) Get 2nd attack

It seems like a fast gun bunny could probably attack everyone within range with his full dice pool - twice before they even get to act. Since it sounds like 6e is more lethal lots of fights could be ended by 1 fast gun bunny.

First of all: works as designed.

Secondly:
Share your revelation with the prognosticators who've been predicting that 6e abandoning initiative passes is the end of wired-up gun bunnies.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #89 on: <07-08-19/1546:17> »

3) Shoot at everyone
4) Get 2nd attack

First of all: works as designed.

Secondly:
Share your revelation with the prognosticators who've been predicting that 6e abandoning initiative passes is the end of wired-up gun bunnies.

I don't have the rules so I am just guessing based on stuff I have read/pieced together. Chandra's response seems to imply that some extra minor actions are involved as well (though I thought the max was 2 Major + 2 minors which would seem to satisfy his post). Still, if that is possible, I expect 2 actions + 6 edge will be standard for most sams/gun adepts - maybe even mages depending on how magic works. It also seems to be the death of anything melee. Not that melee was strong in 5e/20th (don't recall the critical strike nerf version) but turning 4 edge into effectively target # initiative passes is insanely good - some might say gamebreaking.