NEWS

Caps on hits

• 16 Replies

Faradon

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <09-28-10/1031:12> »
Thank you to everyone who's replied.  Particularly to voydangel for the citation.  I think I found the answer to the second half of my question. 

Quote from: SR4A pg.74
The total hits scored on any test are limited to no more than the character’s
skill rating x 2.

Given that this is an optional rule, I don't think I'm going to roll with it. 

I tried using that one for a while in my game because I noticed a trend with players only upping stats till they were maxed and then going back to look at skills as a secondary option.  I also like the idea of those skill charts showing the "example person" for each skill level to mean something... since by RAW 1-6 (or 7) really doesn't scale well when you can get large swings in attribute dice. I figured that if hits were capped in relation to skill level, those charts became a lot more believable.

The big problem came in, like you said with defaulting and low skills.  For a while I played with dropping the -1 for defaulting and capping hits at 2, but eventually I just got rid of the rule completely.  I really wish I could find something similar or a way to make it work with low skilled / defaulting PCs.

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <09-28-10/1313:41> »
I am reading what ever 4A Book they sold at Gen Con last year.  Did not by the limited edition though.
Still can't find it.  Cas tell me the page number for the books we use. 

You have an SR4a dear I am 90% sure of that so the page should be right that they are quoteing

I did start reading what Max was kind enough to put in print.  I just stopped to soon because it seemed to not be what I was looking for.  And now I know that certain people need to stop telling me I don't know the rules.  I have just never bothered learning the optional ones.