NEWS

Exteneded Tests and Sleep Regulation.

• 8 Replies

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« on: <09-21-10/0323:59> »
Sometimes a test, like a software test, will have day, week or month long intervals, but what exactly does this mean?

If you are to be working on something for a day, does that mean 16 hours? 8 hours?
What if you only need 3 hours sleep due to a Sleep Regulator or Sustenance magics? 
What about the Crank spell?  or Longhaul?

An hour's work is an hour, but a day's work is not a standard thing.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-21-10/0417:52> »
I don't recall if there are any rules along these lines, but in RPGs it's typical for a day's work to mean at least 8 hours. And in real life, there isn't a lot of benefit to working extra-long days in the long term, because focus suffers and exhaustion sets in, even if you're getting enough sleep. So it would be reasonable to rule that reduced sleep requirements give you more free time, but not more work time.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-21-10/0510:33> »
I think this one will come down to GM call,

Personally if the job itself is something the character would normally work on quite dillergently like a mage creating a fomular or a Rigger moding a drone I would say the extra time can be put to use.

Rough rule of thumb I would say instead of a eight hour day you can work a twelve hour day so reduce the time period by a third.

A week goes down to four days (rounding up just for balance mostly) which is still a fairly good bonus.

Its very much a house rule at this point as no official answer is about from what I can see but this could be the answer to how does a hacker write his own programs and keep them updated.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-21-10/0525:36> »
12 hours a day... Hm. As Bradd already pointed out, it could be, that you won't get 1,5 times as much done if you simply work 12 hours instead of 8, because of lapse of concentration. I can only speak from my experience (ymmv), but for me, doing this once in a while is ok: If something needs to be ready till tomorrow morning, ok working until midnight might get it done. But if I worked 12 hours every day for a longer time, I really doubt that I would get 1,5 times as much work done.

So, personally, I would really love the Sleep Regulator, but I doubt that I could work much longer in one job with it. Perhaps doing two very different jobs would work better...
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-21-10/0615:30> »
I would say it depends on what is being done.

If we are talking about my day job then no way in hell will you get more work out of me for just more time. But if we are talking about something I love or something I'm really invested in then putting in more time is something I have done and can see myself doing in the future.

Hell we are geeks right we all sometimes focus on things for hours on end without losing conentration to much.

But I can see your point on a day to day basis it would be hard to maintain the same level of work but there are other things you can add to yourself to help concentration. Cant rememebr the name but there s a couple of infusions that improve concentration.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #5 on: <09-21-10/0707:06> »
Its very much a house rule at this point as no official answer is about from what I can see but this could be the answer to how does a hacker write his own programs and keep them updated.
  This is really the hidden benefit that I was leading up to.  If you only need to put in 8 hours work to be considered programming for a day, then with 3 hours sleep, that still gives you 13 hours to get about your daily business.

Suddenly these long ass tasks are not a full stop situation.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-21-10/0718:32> »
Depends. If you spend half the day breaking into somewhere, fighting guards, etc. then I don't think that you'll be able to code much. You may not be tired, but you surely are exhausted :-)
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #7 on: <09-22-10/0535:56> »
Oh, yeah, sure.  *I* would be.  But *I* don't have a magical future machine in my brain alleviating nearly all need for sleep, or spells which instantly provide the equivalent rest of [force + hits] hours of sleep.

Mental exhaustion is the exact thing that this power/mod/drug/spell is supposed to alleviate.
Trying to judge it from personal experience is not really going to cut muster.

But, actual rest is one of the only possible ways to heal stun or physical damage, so I could see wound modifiers from the day's combat pulling dice off your coding pool, but shrugging off an adrenaline crash?  That's really not a rules issue...

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-22-10/0622:56> »
I think as a idea it has legs but choices need to be made proberbly on a case by case basis really. Maybe the odd will power test to see if the person carrys on working hard each day with failed days being normal time but good days being worth more hours.

That could add far to much math in though for the longer time scales though