NEWS

A. Nonymous

• 766 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #480 on: <11-09-11/1430:01> »
I'm guessing their both disguised is what is happening there because an ork and a dwarf? xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #481 on: <11-09-11/1452:51> »
Yeah, I need to collect these, as well as a few other things.  Stuff like this needs to be Required Reading for Freelancers.

Know what I'd like?

A "Style guide" that compilied the Shadowtalk from each 4th ed book so that I could get the voice right by basing it on previous examples.

Man-of-Many-Names feels like he was 'off model' as they say in animation circles in certain areas of Spy Games, for instance. He normally pops in with mysterious things, like "When the Moon Spirits are watching, they do not blink" or the like. It has a certain gravitas by sounding like wise words from One Who Knows. Having him settle in with longer, more common talk threw me off a bit, but, it *might* be something he does now and thenand I'd just missed it before.

Mind you, I'd also love to lampshade that with him popping up on a detailed chat about something random, like Water Polo, and everyone staring. "What? I have hobbies!"

(Getting that inner commedian under control is gonna be haaaaard...)

Compiling everyone's lines into a single database isn't exactly hard, but would be terribly time-consuming. But oh-so useful!

Hrm.

Maybe a project for the near future if I get some free time.

And now I'm way off topic.

Back to A. Nonymous speculation!
*AHEM*

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #482 on: <11-09-11/1506:04> »
*AHEM*
[/quote]

*Glee!*

That lists the place and page of each person's content.

Now, I just have to type each comment in to make a 'script' of what each one says, to see what type of speaking pattern they have.

But that there is a HUGE head start. Thanks Fastjack! You the man!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #484 on: <11-09-11/1724:58> »
Yeah, FJ is a nerd like that.

And yeah, I was a little concerned with Man of Many Names appearance in my piece (I assume you're referring to the Maltese Falcon write up in Already Here).  He's had a couple more "Casual" conversations...  One of the problems I have writing Shadowtalk is that, simply put, I don;t "know" a LOT of the Shadowtalkers.  Most of the time their personalities don't come through in Shadowtalk (outside of a handful of Jackpointers).  There's like 60-odd members of Jackpoint, but only about 25% of them have had any kind of fleshing out at all.  The rest are little more than names and, on occasion, "professions".

I had already tapped WInterhawk for part of the magic discussion, and I needed another character that could be a voice of authority.  Jackpoint is a little limited, and I didn't want to bring in an outside voice, so I decided to have MoMN drop his "mystery act" for a bit and actually be part of the discussion for a change.  Personally, while i don't mind the rare "cryptic message" (Hell, I do it myself, see my "Heh" above), I find them incredibly boring and tedious when done all the time.  If that's all the character does, they lose a bit of resonance and meaning.

(I can also picture Fastjack sending MoMN a private message saying "Come on, Bob.  We all know the Secret Mystic routine is crap.  Will you just PARTICIPATE in the discussion for once?  You're a smart guy, that's why I invited you in!")

Bull

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #485 on: <11-09-11/1742:08> »
Check out Tom Dowd's Post Mortem for the conversation between Harlequin and Ehran after Dunkelzahn's death.
+1 to you, sir...I'd forgotten what a nifty piece that was.

Yeah, I need to collect these, as well as a few other things.  Stuff like this needs to be Required Reading for Freelancers.

Actually, what I'd like to see is a PDF of all of the fiction bits -- the old short stories from Dowd etc., the short stories and stuff in the texts and PDFs -- essentially anything that's a story, extracted from the surrounding material.  This would, IMO, include Hatchetman's cyberzombie story ... and even going all the way back to SR1, whether the first short in the original SR book or Renny and Halberstam from the first Matrix book.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #486 on: <11-09-11/1800:59> »
Check out Tom Dowd's Post Mortem for the conversation between Harlequin and Ehran after Dunkelzahn's death.
+1 to you, sir...I'd forgotten what a nifty piece that was.

Actually, what I'd like to see is a PDF of all of the fiction bits -- the old short stories from Dowd etc., the short stories and stuff in the texts and PDFs -- essentially anything that's a story, extracted from the surrounding material.  This would, IMO, include Hatchetman's cyberzombie story ... and even going all the way back to SR1, whether the first short in the original SR book or Renny and Halberstam from the first Matrix book.

^ This. We need this. Badly. So many things are hinted at in the books, but unless you've poured through the old sourcebooks, you don't know what they're talking about.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #487 on: <11-09-11/1826:00> »

And yeah, I was a little concerned with Man of Many Names appearance in my piece (I assume you're referring to the Maltese Falcon write up in Already Here).  He's had a couple more "Casual" conversations...  One of the problems I have writing Shadowtalk is that, simply put, I don;t "know" a LOT of the Shadowtalkers.  Most of the time their personalities don't come through in Shadowtalk (outside of a handful of Jackpointers).  There's like 60-odd members of Jackpoint, but only about 25% of them have had any kind of fleshing out at all.  The rest are little more than names and, on occasion, "professions".

I had already tapped WInterhawk for part of the magic discussion, and I needed another character that could be a voice of authority.  Jackpoint is a little limited, and I didn't want to bring in an outside voice, so I decided to have MoMN drop his "mystery act" for a bit and actually be part of the discussion for a change.  Personally, while i don't mind the rare "cryptic message" (Hell, I do it myself, see my "Heh" above), I find them incredibly boring and tedious when done all the time.  If that's all the character does, they lose a bit of resonance and meaning.

(I can also picture Fastjack sending MoMN a private message saying "Come on, Bob.  We all know the Secret Mystic routine is crap.  Will you just PARTICIPATE in the discussion for once?  You're a smart guy, that's why I invited you in!")

Bull

What do you mean "Heh?" above? o.O' (must be missing something)
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #488 on: <11-09-11/1835:04> »

Bull

I didn't say it was bad, just a tad jarring. I'd have loved to see someone comment on it, but, space limits and all. (But, handy use for Underground 93, isn't it? Hmmm...)

It's easy to forget that these guys lighten up with one another from time to time.

Of course, the day that Bul, Man-of-Many-Names, and Kane get into a Brony discussion, I'm gonna have to check my pills. :D

Man, wish I would have thought about the shadowtalk archive when my vacation was in front of me instead of behind me. That could have been five days well spent! Next time, Gadet, next time...

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #489 on: <11-09-11/1919:02> »
^ This. We need this. Badly. So many things are hinted at in the books, but unless you've poured through the old sourcebooks, you don't know what they're talking about.
Well, you're not supposed to have to know all of this stuff, and I know the current writers take pains to ensure that.

Unless it's stuff like Praxis, which is intentionally vague because it's about the FUTURE, not plucking a minor NPC from a twenty-year-old adventure.

There's like 60-odd members of Jackpoint, but only about 25% of them have had any kind of fleshing out at all.  The rest are little more than names and, on occasion, "professions".
Plus the sixty-plus guest users. It's no secret that writers have their favorites. They always have. That's why people care about Fastjack and Hatchetman and Captain Chaos (Actually, him I don't get. He's the lunchroom monitor of SL. No one likes the lunchroom monitor).

It's still better to keep track of than the old Shadowland system, though.
« Last Edit: <11-09-11/1923:04> by James Meiers »

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #490 on: <11-09-11/1925:03> »

http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=3216.msg85661#msg85661

I did a post that just said "Heh.".  In part, because I now know the lead contender for Anonymous.  As well as why they started posting. 

Can't say anything, of course, cause Jason has FASA's old GamePolice on retainer, however.

Bull

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #491 on: <11-09-11/1930:54> »

I did a post that just said "Heh.".  In part, because I now know the lead contender for Anonymous.  As well as why they started posting. 

Can't say anything, of course, cause Jason has FASA's old GamePolice on retainer, however.

Bull

That must mean they weren't posting before?

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #492 on: <11-09-11/1954:55> »
You could read it that way.  Or you could read it with an unsaid "Why they started posting as Anonymous" :)

Don't read anything into my comments, especially since I have nothing to do with the "him".

Bull

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #493 on: <11-09-11/1956:30> »

Bull

That must mean they weren't posting before?

Hehe, not necessarily, because "as well as why they started posting" could mean that haven't been posting at all for x-many years or it could mean "why the started posting [as anonymous]" meaning it could very well be Frosty, Man of Many Names (hehe, one of them being "nobody" for a Dead Man movie reference), or even Fastjack just because he felt like stirring things up and scaring everyone about JackPoint being hacked. (Not that I think that's the case, though the MoMN's angle is fun).

No, I think Bull's been expertly vague and has only revealed that he's pretty sure he knows who it is.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #494 on: <11-09-11/1959:34> »
Well, you're not supposed to have to know all of this stuff, and I know the current writers take pains to ensure that.

Unless it's stuff like Praxis, which is intentionally vague because it's about the FUTURE, not plucking a minor NPC from a twenty-year-old adventure.

Hey you never know when some minor NPC from a twenty-year-old adventure could become pretty important to a current plot.  Just saying....