NEWS

A. Nonymous

• 766 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #465 on: <11-08-11/0503:38> »
Spoiler for the end of Loose Ends/I Am Legion/The Prestige serial in Street Legends. I assumed someone would have noticed this by now.
[spoiler]
Nadja Daviar knows about JackPoint.
[/spoiler]
All things considered, I think I'm sticking with either a) Nadja Daviar (who says it has to be an otaku technomancer who's hacking in?), b) an Immortal Elf (likewise, with my choices being Ehran the Scribe, Harlequinn, or, actually, Aina Dupree -- what, you thought that was her actual body??), or c) an unknown, and we're waiting on the Reveal.

So I suppose I should clarify -- a Nadja could be A. Nonymous.  (Hey, Nony Nony ...)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #466 on: <11-08-11/0604:18> »
Ugh, the spoiler implementation in this forum is annoying...

Yea, going back over the postings the kid is out (in more ways then one, given the rugrat reference from Netcat in Unbound).
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #467 on: <11-08-11/2301:27> »
The main reason that I don't think that the unknown poster is Nadja Daviar is "tone."

The poster says, "shit rolls down hill," "Mmmm. Mmmm Good," and "[Hestaby] is a media whore," which doesn't "sound" like Daviar...but then again having been the voice of D who can say if she was ever even allowed to voice her own thoughts during that time. But the "Computers are optical now, right?" quote just doesn't jive for me as something Daviar would say, even sarcastically. Harlequin on the other hand...all of it fits his style.

The other thing that stops me from thinking that it's Daviar is the anti-dragon rant, "In the end, all great dragons are cold-blooded. It’s their nature. Assuming or believing anything else is just believing in a lie." But I realize that's just my inner fanboy for Dunkie talking. Still, I wouldn't expect Daviar to have that point of view (especially if she ever was aware of the Big D death's as him sacrificing himself for the protection of metahumanity). It comes across as contrary to a scene out of The Prestige in SL,
"Dunkelzahn is dead," Nadja said with a voice hardened in a way Rory understood perfectly. He stopped smiling, "I seem to be the only person to truly understand that our actions are his legacy. It is not what we think he wanted that matters, but what we do with what he left us."

Of course it could always be a case of misdirection; using tone, style, etc. that isn't consistent with the known style of the individual making the posts...but making that assumption makes the mystery nearly impossible to solve...unless the falsified style is in the style of some other known individual, such as Dawkins Group posting as if they were Harlequin (an example only).

The one thing that I'm unsure of is whether Daviar has ever been confirmed to be an immortal. I don't think she has and thought there was some reference to someone finding out she spent time in an European orphanage in her youth (not that that couldn't have been falsified of course). But after a quick search I couldn't find the book so I may just be getting things mixed up. Does anyone know if there's a canon source indicated/alluding to Daviar being an immortal (or not being one)?

On the other hand, Daviar would have interests in nearly every post, from Azzies to dragons...but it just seems more in the style of Harlequin. Even the "Art exists for its own end," media-piracy sounds Harlequinesq.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #468 on: <11-09-11/0049:39> »
Good deducting and reasoning  :)

Is Harlequin enough of a hacker to pull it off though? Can he sit still long enough to learn to be really, really good at computers? I know he is a very acomplished jack of all trades but I just have difficulty seeing him as a expert hacker.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #469 on: <11-09-11/0052:43> »
He could just have found the guys that made Pocket Hacker and threw money, artifacts, paydata at them until they made him a ice pick that could get him access to The JackPoint...

Or, you know, just "Borrowed" Frosty's CommLink and got in through that way.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #470 on: <11-09-11/0056:02> »
He doesn't just need to get in.
He needs to be able to post without a user appearing.

Anf if he got in, would he be the type that could stop himself from bragging about it?  ;D

Regards
Rasmus

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #471 on: <11-09-11/0100:20> »
Damnit, he's got us there.  Ego, thy name is Harley.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #472 on: <11-09-11/0130:59> »
In Portfolio of a Dragon, The Lone Gunman claims she's one of the immortal elves he was ranting about in Threats.

Nadja knows Dunkelzahn sacrificed himself to power the Dragonheart and level out the spike.
« Last Edit: <11-09-11/0133:06> by James Meiers »

wizard_of_ozzy

• Newb
« Reply #473 on: <11-09-11/0139:33> »
All signs point to the immortal Juggalo elf.

EDIT: But I thought Harlequin was friends with Big D? He called him a friend at the end of Artifacts Unbound anyways. Or did I misread that?
« Last Edit: <11-09-11/0154:11> by wizard_of_ozzy »

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #474 on: <11-09-11/0204:35> »
As an IE Harlequin want all dragons dead.
But I think he respected D and he knew he couldn't kill a dragon himself.

Rasmus

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #475 on: <11-09-11/0326:03> »
In Portfolio of a Dragon, The Lone Gunman claims she's one of the immortal elves he was ranting about in Threats.

Nadja knows Dunkelzahn sacrificed himself to power the Dragonheart and level out the spike.

Knowing Dunkelzahn doesnt necessarily mean that she doesnt think of dragons as completely selfish and unscrupulous creatures. For al I know D and his close relationship to humanity was kind of exception amongst his kind, even in previous era...

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #476 on: <11-09-11/0832:34> »
As an IE Harlequin want all dragons dead.
But I think he respected D and he knew he couldn't kill a dragon himself.

Rasmus
Check out Tom Dowd's Post Mortem for the conversation between Harlequin and Ehran after Dunkelzahn's death.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #477 on: <11-09-11/1002:46> »
Check out Tom Dowd's Post Mortem for the conversation between Harlequin and Ehran after Dunkelzahn's death.
+1 to you, sir...I'd forgotten what a nifty piece that was.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #478 on: <11-09-11/1225:55> »
+1 to you, sir...I'd forgotten what a nifty piece that was.

Yeah, I need to collect these, as well as a few other things.  Stuff like this needs to be Required Reading for Freelancers.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #479 on: <11-09-11/1419:52> »
Yeah, I need to collect these, as well as a few other things.  Stuff like this needs to be Required Reading for Freelancers.

Know what I'd like?

A "Style guide" that compilied the Shadowtalk from each 4th ed book so that I could get the voice right by basing it on previous examples.

Man-of-Many-Names feels like he was 'off model' as they say in animation circles in certain areas of Spy Games, for instance. He normally pops in with mysterious things, like "When the Moon Spirits are watching, they do not blink" or the like. It has a certain gravitas by sounding like wise words from One Who Knows. Having him settle in with longer, more common talk threw me off a bit, but, it *might* be something he does now and thenand I'd just missed it before.

Mind you, I'd also love to lampshade that with him popping up on a detailed chat about something random, like Water Polo, and everyone staring. "What? I have hobbies!"

(Getting that inner commedian under control is gonna be haaaaard...)

Compiling everyone's lines into a single database isn't exactly hard, but would be terribly time-consuming. But oh-so useful!

Hrm.

Maybe a project for the near future if I get some free time.

And now I'm way off topic.

Back to A. Nonymous speculation!