NEWS

A. Nonymous

• 766 Replies

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #435 on: <11-07-11/1007:11> »
She seems to have walked in the door at the draco foundation recently...

REALLY? What source if I may ask, real NEW for me...

Try Street Legends!

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #436 on: <11-07-11/1051:17> »
Fantastic book, it is! Leafing through the PDF, there was just too much *stuff* that I wanted tor ead, so I went ahead and ordered me a copy (Along with the new Black Book and the boxed set) so I can actually *peruse* it on a regular basis.

Every entry has at least one thing that made me go "There's a plot seed I need to make a run about", and the characters themsleves are much more interesting than the old Prime Runners by far.

I'd love to see a companion piece on "Rookie Runners" sometimes, people that look like they might be 'draft picks' in essence and could turn into Street Legends down the road.

Admitedly, it's because I really want to write up /Dev/Grrl, but not *just* because of that.

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #437 on: <11-07-11/1145:57> »
Going back a few pages,

I'm not sure if it's in System Failure or Emergence, but there is a short bit that aludes to the 3 AI's being around still, I want to say it's near the end of one of the two books.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #438 on: <11-07-11/1147:49> »
]It is most definitely NOT Captain Chaos (no matter how much I begged and pleaded for it to be him...)
:'(

*Pours a 40 on the curb*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #439 on: <11-07-11/1321:24> »
Well, there are a lot more than three AIs running around out there now. But I do think I remember reading that three of the original ones had managed to stay alive somehow. (Probably by retreating into an isolated system and shutting down for a while).
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

wizard_of_ozzy

• Newb
« Reply #440 on: <11-07-11/1628:13> »
unless we are seeing the digital equivalent of a pre-born...
So the question is: when did the kid start hating dragons? And when did (s)he start working for Horizon? If the children's books that his/her parents read to him/her are made by Horizon then, BAM, smoking gun right there.
« Last Edit: <11-07-11/1645:47> by wizard_of_ozzy »

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #441 on: <11-07-11/1657:52> »
Quote from: Spy Games, p. 136
Great dragons and their ilk have yet to accept that the world moves faster than them, and it has no regard for their plans. They may think long-term, but humans are unpredictable and a bit crazy. We’ve also been playing this game for millennia without end.

I think, out of all the A. Nonymous posts (so far), that is the most revealing quote. So much so, that even though this is in the Secret History section, I'm still going to throw a spoiler cloak around the rest of my thoughts...

[spoiler]
The sheer level of "let's bring dragons down a notch" in nearly every post about dragons by this person heavily points towards an immortal elf. But specifically for the quote above, the use of "We've also" allows for the "we" being referenced to sever itself from the "humans" in the previous sentence. If the author had said "And we've" or "Who have" then it would clearly be a reference to the "humans." But with "We've also," "also" designates another set, another group; not humans and not dragons. And it points to "this game"...the game is "long-term" thinking. Who else thinks long-term like dragons...the immortal elves. "We, Immortal Elves, also play the game of long-term thinking for thousands of years." The use of the phrase "millennia without end" is, almost without a doubt---or with 95% certainty, a reference to the novel Worlds Without End...about immortal elves in general and Aina & Harlequin in particular. That quote is the core to my argument that it's Harlequin...below are how the other quotes fit with that hypothesis.

Aina's turned up dead. And Harlequin's always been a bit more outspoken than the rest of the IEs.

Next, with the poster being anonymous and for the past couple of years Anonymous using the Guy Fawkes mask, there's a Harlequin-esq image association there. 

While the question;
Quote from: Spy Games, p. 152
Computers are optical now, right? How can they have a magnetic field?
Made me think of Leonardo, but if taken from the perspective of 2070s JackPoint posters it's quite sarcastic, which is right up Harlequin's posting MO.

Harlequin's always had an interest in Azt-lan/technology, especially since Mr. Darke was hanging out with them back in the day. And the War! quote (pg 83) about drug dealers and prostitutes fits in with his man-of-the-streets/shadows - not afraid to hang out at the bottom rung - style.

I've played around with the numbers in the "dose: numbers" quote and at this point, I think it's supposed to be gibberish, a kind of crazy response to Plan 9's rantings. Things I've tried; Can't be lat/long (terrestrial or astronomical), as it should only be two sets of 3 numbers (6 total) but there's 9 and also 250 and 905 rule that out. 905 also rules out them being atomic weights. 905 also rules out it there being some IP address hidden in there, like an Easter Egg website to check out. With 9 numbers they could correspond to the 9 letters in Harlequin's name, so I assumed each number counted up the English Alphabet and every time it reaches Z, then start back at the beginning, (so 27 = A, 28 = B, and so on). But that results in P, J, A, S, N, N, U, F, T and I thought of shifting the letters by some number X to try to match them up, but the double N's means there would always be two letters the same, which Harlequin doesn't have and his other common names, Har'lea'quinn, Caimbuel, or Quentin 'Quinn' Harlech have more or less than 9 letters. I tried just using the name of the language for each number; English, English, Spanish, Spanish, Italian, Italian, Norwegian, Norwegian, Italian, (Russian end) first letter of each gives EESSIINNI (R). Killing off the double's and you get (cutely) ESINI(R) which could mean E-sinner...but that's a stretch. The numbers themselves add up to 1473 and AD or BC doesn't ring any bells (other than Hatshepsut's rule starting in the BC, and Copernicus born in the AD...there may be something in Worlds Without End, but I don't think so as the middle ages portions of the book are mostly around Queen Elizabeth's era in the mid-to-late 1500s). None of the numbers share a common denominator. Multiplying them gives 3,598,630,416,000,000 which if you divide by seconds/min, minutes/hr, hours/day, and days/year gives 114,111,821.92. dividing that by years/magic cycle gives 22,265.72...again, not seeing anything which just leads me to think the poster is playing a joke on Plan 9's conspiracy-pattern mind, which I can see Harlequin doing. But, of course, I could be missing something.

The "Horizon is good for the soul" could be serious, but based off all other comments, the anti-media stuff, etc., it sounds sarcastic in that light.

The near insider knowledge on SK-Prime operatives and Dunk's watchers point to deep connections and insights...something Harlequin definitely has, especially if one wonders what he's been doing with his time since Crash 2.0.

Harlequin would also be very interested in the Horizon - Tír Tairngire - Hestaby dealings (as would other IEs). But again, the level of sarcasm and general attitude in the posts, leads one away from the "refined and snooty" attitude of most of the other IEs.

The Artifacts Unbound "Thirty-two" ... don't have the book yet, so I can comment yet as I don't know what it's in reply to.

So that's my argument for it being Harlequin using the quotes alone. Outside the quotes, in the real world, it's been a long time since Harlequin's shown himself to the shadow-public (though he's been mentioned in some fiction pieces, notably Dusk's intro) and given there are rumors and hints among the developers and writers that Harlequin might show up more heavily I think this would also be a perfect way to seed Harlequin into the books without hitting the SR Universe over the head with him...it fits well with the "IEs need to take a backseat for a bit" idea and if anyone's going to be an outspoken backseat driver, it's Harlequin.
[/spoiler]
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #442 on: <11-07-11/1716:00> »
unless we are seeing the digital equivalent of a pre-born...
So the question is: when did the kid start hating dragons? And when did (s)he start working for Horizon? If the children's books that his/her parents read to him/her are made by Horizon then, BAM, smoking gun right there.
Grandma and Grandpa Slamm-0! would smack the stupid out of the two parents for something like that.  Good, old fashioned Neo-@ Literature is what the little one needs.  And sugar.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

wizard_of_ozzy

• Newb
« Reply #443 on: <11-07-11/1720:23> »
The numbers might not mean just one thing. They could be any combinations of dates, times, locations. I haven't read any of the pre-SR4 books or novels so I can't comment on the Harlequin or immortal elves stuff. The "32" quote is from a serial killer that was stalking Denver. The other shadowrunners thought there were 31 victims but (s)he corrected them. The serial killer was an elf that was trying to reach immortality.
« Last Edit: <11-07-11/1740:44> by wizard_of_ozzy »

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #444 on: <11-07-11/1805:50> »
book and page #'s?
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

wizard_of_ozzy

• Newb
« Reply #445 on: <11-07-11/1819:14> »
The book is Artifacts Unbound, pg. 36.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #446 on: <11-07-11/1835:56> »
nah,

could the numbers in various tongues be book and page #'s

aside from that, FJ, who is or isn't on the list, or is on the list but not likely to be A. non?
like early on you said slamm-o was off the list for not being as sneaky as he seems to think he is.  and so forth?
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #447 on: <11-07-11/1840:02> »
So far, it's not the baby, Captain Chaos, or Dunkie.

HOW THE HELL DID THAT GROUP OF PEOPLE END UP IN THE SAME SENTENCE???   :o

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #448 on: <11-07-11/1843:30> »
All things considered, I think I'm sticking with either a) Nadja Daviar (who says it has to be an otaku technomancer who's hacking in?), b) an Immortal Elf (likewise, with my choices being Ehran the Scribe, Harlequinn, or, actually, Aina Dupree -- what, you thought that was her actual body??), or c) an unknown, and we're waiting on the Reveal.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

wizard_of_ozzy

• Newb
« Reply #449 on: <11-07-11/1845:42> »
So far, it's not the baby, Captain Chaos, or Dunkie.

HOW THE HELL DID THAT GROUP OF PEOPLE END UP IN THE SAME SENTENCE???   :o
Because VK babies, ghost-dragons and E-ghosts would make the best group of Shadowrunners ever?
« Last Edit: <11-07-11/1848:07> by wizard_of_ozzy »