NEWS

A. Nonymous

• 766 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #105 on: <06-07-11/2312:30> »
I'm going to have to nominate Alice, because she's the only one that I would think would fit that and have the skills to hack JackPoint - we are talking FastJack, after all...
Oh man...  I just had a scary thought...

Good morning world. Welcome back. Play nice.
         -Saeletra
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #106 on: <06-08-11/0036:07> »
 Good point... although I recall that the Big D was less than impressed with Jack's story...  ;)

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #107 on: <06-08-11/0543:39> »
I'm gonna put in a nomination for . . . David Gavilan.  Because although the prevailing opinion is that Damien Knight was Gavilan, there has been little confirmation one way or another.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #108 on: <06-08-11/0720:12> »
Did alice not get deadened?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #109 on: <06-08-11/1008:24> »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #110 on: <06-08-11/1053:22> »
Alice

Sorry, who?
Alice Haeffner, late wife of former president Kyle Haeffner. Alice was part of Echo Mirage under David Gavilan, and became an early "e-ghost" in the system after the Crash of 2029. She spent most of her time in the Matrix making Thomas Roxborough's life hell. When Crash 2.0 hit, it's assumed her ghost was "wiped" or subsumed into the Matrix per the short story "Down the Rabbit Hole" in System Failure (p. 95).

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #111 on: <06-08-11/1104:43> »
Someday I have to get my hands on the Dragonheart Trilogy.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #112 on: <06-08-11/1231:52> »
Alice Haeffner, late wife of former president Kyle Haeffner. Alice was part of Echo Mirage under David Gavilan, and became an early "e-ghost" in the system after the Crash of 2029. She spent most of her time in the Matrix making Thomas Roxborough's life hell. When Crash 2.0 hit, it's assumed her ghost was "wiped" or subsumed into the Matrix per the short story "Down the Rabbit Hole" in System Failure (p. 95).

Thanks  FJ!

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #113 on: <06-08-11/1316:59> »
Alice

Sorry, who?

I'm not completely filled in on SR backstory.  Is the connection between Alice Haeffner and Roxborough explained anywhere?  She apparently made several posts on Shadowland to the effect that Roxborough deserved everything that had happened to him - life in his tank, I'm guessing - and further deserved anything and everything she could throw at him.  How did this vendetta start?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #114 on: <06-08-11/1337:43> »
I don't recall if they ever went into great depth on what Roxborough did to Alice. I just know that she is pissed at him and has claimed his crimes are against humanity himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he had "studied" her for a while after her condition became known so he could retain his "mind" on the Matrix.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #115 on: <06-08-11/1345:51> »
As I remember, Alice said Roxie was ,in part if not whole, responsible for Crash 1.0
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #116 on: <06-08-11/1455:46> »
Thomas Roxborough ran a company called Acquisition Technologies. The company best programmer was David Gavilan (with Lucien Cross as a close second, but I disgress). Dunkelzahn was a shareholder of Acquisition Technologies. He tried to have Gavilan quitting Acquisitech and joining Gossamer Threads, a Dunkelzahn-controlled corporation. This led Roxborough to start a corporate war against Gossamer Threads. He ordered
Acquisitech engineers, including Gavilan, designed a virus to destroy Gossamer Threads network. They tested the virus on a company called Effexx Studios. The virus successfully destroyed Effexx system, and then proceeded to destroy Internet.

As the Crash started, Dunkelzahn met Gavilan to offer him a position at Gossamer Threads. He read his mind and learned about the Virus design. So he suggested him to join Echo Mirage Team Two and try to redeem himself.

That is, as far as the story told in the novel Clockwork Asylum is true.

David Gavilan was the lead programmer of Echo Mirage as "Major David Gavilan". IMO, it suggests Gavilan served in the armed forces for some time before joining Acquisition Technologies (as it is unlikely a civilian in the emergency of fighting the Crash would get a Major rank). And according to Corporate Guide, Gavilan resurfaced at Acquisition Technologies' investigative research division after the Crash.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #117 on: <06-08-11/1459:32> »
Basically, Rox was THE ONLY ONE responsible for the first crash . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #118 on: <06-08-11/1635:04> »
Much like stories regarding gods and such in other games, and much of what's posted in Shadowland/Jackpoint comments, you have to take the story with a grain of salt. It's been a while since I last read Clockwork Asylum, but I think I recall most of it being "as XXXX tells it" type of story.

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #119 on: <06-08-11/1700:22> »
Interesting so our A. Nonymous maybe a Ghost in the trix back to wreck havoc.  The only thing is why would he/she/it care about pirated stuff?