NEWS

The Opinion on Shotguns

• 65 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #60 on: <12-02-12/2152:22> »
Indeed. Whenever I make a sniper character, I always keep a good combat shotgun as my close range weapon.

I've had GMs rule that Melee Hardening added to a Sniper Rifle removes the Edge Check for using it outside of sniping situations, and adding it twice gives you the actual written benefit as well. Could be just a smidge over-powered, though, depending on the tone of the game.

After all, a super-ruggedized Barrett's only problem can be summed up with one word... "over-penetration".

More "over-compensation" :P

Not for a really big Ork... or, of course, a Troll.

Especially if they happen to be named Ronald Jeremiah?

*facepalms* Bad JAD! Bad! No biscuit! :P
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #61 on: <12-03-12/0414:59> »
@ Max: 5P + net hits isn't bad considering they had no dice to avoid the shot, that in itself compensates for a lot of the lost DV. 9AP looks good on paper but it's  not as game breaking as you might think. As it turned out, all 3 targets were firing from behind a door and they were all very wounded so they had -3 dice.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #62 on: <12-03-12/0558:38> »
@ Max: 5P + net hits isn't bad considering they had no dice to avoid the shot, that in itself compensates for a lot of the lost DV. 9AP looks good on paper but it's  not as game breaking as you might think. As it turned out, all 3 targets were firing from behind a door and they were all very wounded so they had -3 dice.
So you ment that you finished of 3 allmost dead enemies with a single shot, thats a very differend think.
Actually one shotting a target with 5P AP + 9 attack would have been a pretty hardcore feat, even a simple ganger will have 18 dice to resist that, 20 if their behind a door.

Also just to make sure your not miss understanding the rules, a wound modifiers don't apply to damage resistance tests.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <12-03-12/0601:19> »
Ahh, yes. I see what you mean. Yeah, they were severely wounded. Thanks for letting me know about that rule though, I have been subtracting damage resistance dice.

One other thing to consider is whether or not you're alone or with friends. Being able to hit multiple targets and soften them up for your friends can be quite nice, especially considering how lethal a lot of the weapons are. Shotguns are also much better in small spaces where there are multiple targets.
« Last Edit: <12-03-12/0616:07> by Shadowjack »

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #64 on: <12-03-12/0642:03> »
One other thing to consider is whether or not you're alone or with friends. Being able to hit multiple targets and soften them up for your friends can be quite nice, especially considering how lethal a lot of the weapons are. Shotguns are also much better in small spaces where there are multiple targets.
Yes ofcource, softening multiple opponents so your ally can finish them of easily(or finishing of enemies your allies almost killed) can be a valid tactic.
But you don't necessarily need shotguns to do that, any full auto capable weapon can also shoot three enemies at the same time(four if it's a hyper-velocity weapon) and does so with a damage bonus(as it counts as a seperate short bursts) instead of a minus and AP bonus.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #65 on: <12-03-12/0650:00> »
That's true. Although Full Auto is a complex action while the shotgun can still use two simple actions to hit multiple targets. Also, the defender does get to keep more dice to avoid the attack, which in some cases could cause you to miss the attack.