NEWS

HMHVV

• 27 Replies

bobo69

• Chummer
« on: <09-14-10/1911:44> »
If a human vampire tried to embrace a metahuman, would that said Metahuman turn into a vampire or its metahuman equivalent(eg. Ork= Wendigo, Elf= Banshee etc.)?

I think there are probably more strains of HMHVV out there as the strain keeps mutating(either naturally or through human(corporate) genetic interference):

Example:

Werewolf: Basically a genetically modified HMHVV II Ghilani strain(Loup Garou). Victim permanently turns into a 7-8 foot tall Man wolf beast. Transmitted by blood or sexual contact(yes the disease gets turned into a sexually transmitted virus(read the novel Ravenous and Bestial by Ray Garton for inspration)

The disease effectively destroys human cognizance and the victim thinks like a ravenous animal whose only drive is to eat(it is constantly hungry) and to procreate(spread the virus sexually). So far it only affects humans. The werewolf is allergic to silver(severe).  As well as the weaknesses of the Loup Garou.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-14-10/1915:28> »
Oh yeah, victm is rendered sterile but also gains regeneration.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <09-14-10/1926:49> »
From Running Wild, p 57:

HMHVV I: Ghilani vrykolakiviridae
Isolated 2034 by Dr. Emil Harz and Dr. Carla Greenbaum
• Dwarves become goblins
• Elves become banshees
• Humans become vampires
• Orks become wendigos
• Trolls become dzoo-noo-qua
HMHVV Ia: Ghilani vrykolakiviridae sanguisuga
Isolated 2046 by Dr. Wilhelm Bruckner and Dr. Günther Langer
• Humans become nosferatu
HMHVV II: Ghilani moneriviridae
Isolated 2039 by Dr. John Russell Jarka and Dr. Michelle Criscione
• Dwarves become gnawers
• Elves become harvesters
• Humans become loup-garous
• Orks become grendels
• Sasquatches become bandersnatchii
• Trolls become fomóraig
HMHVV III: Ghilani wichtiviridae
Isolated 2051 by Dr. Jeffrey Krieger
• All metahumans become ghouls

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-15-10/0622:27> »
There was a PC Bat shaman in the game I played in who had warm fuzzies for vampires and ghouls (and Ares, and Lofwyr, and . . . ).  It was all part of her backstory.  She was shocked and aghast (no pun intended) at the number of people who were willing to kill vamps and ghouls on 'general principles'.  My suggestion was that the vamps & ghouls she knew were . . . different . . . from what the world knew.  Basically, no HMHVV.  Both the player and the GM went for it.
 But jeez, it would have created major problems in the wider SR world.

Pepsi Jedi

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-15-10/0905:24> »
Running Wild has a full chapter on this with some pretty detailed rules/results, written in character, if memory serves. It's a pretty nice book. I like the old Paranormal Guide to NA but Running wild is pretty good. I recommend it. Pick it up on PDF if you don't wanna spring full out for Dead Tree.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-15-10/1255:35> »
Yeah, Running Wild is a great book

Its THE critter book for SR.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #6 on: <09-15-10/2242:15> »
If you've got questions about this after you read the bit in Running Wild, pop back in and I'll see what I can do to answer them.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <09-16-10/0036:24> »
From reading Earthdawn, its hinted that the undead were originally created by the Horrors.

So HMHVV is actually a horror corrupted virus. Technically.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-16-10/0101:50> »
More HMHVV sub types:

Reaper: Basically a genetically modified HMHVV-II virus which brings out the Harvester genotype to other metahumans. However whoever tweaked this basically meant this as a bio weapon and added the following weaknesses: Self destruct. 1 week after infection, victim burst into flames destroying virus and infected. Virus itself is destroyed 1 week after being released.

Manananggal: Basically a Filipino variant of the HMHVV-1 vampire. Only affects humans. dual form. Basically the victim has two form human and manananggal(which basically the upper half of the body sprouts huge batwings, fangs, claws and seperates from lower half at the stomach. ), the manananggal can switch from the human and manananggal form anytime but it would rather do so at night(due to the manananggal form suffering from allergy: Severe sunlight). It likes to eat metahuman inner organs especially infant fetuses(It regards this as a delicacy). The usual MO is the Mananggal likes to go to the roofs of houses use its thin tongue to slide down a hole in the ceiling and suck up the infant fetus from a pregnant victim...it does not like Troll or Ork infant victims(too much dermal deposits).

So powers are different for each form:

Human: Immunity(age, Pathogens, Toxins), Infection, regeneration, sapience, enhanced senses(hearing, lowlight, thermographic). Weakness: Dietery Requirement(metahuman blood &  flesh: inner organs). Essence Loss 6 months).

Manannggal: Every powers and weakness of the human form with addition of: Powers: Flight, Bite, Claws, tongue stinger(used to suck up blood and internal organs). Weakness: Allergy Severe Sunlight, Allergy severe: Salt

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <09-16-10/0130:42> »
Another HMHVV subtype

Jiang Shi: A HMHVV-1a vampire subtype found in China. Infected deforms into a walking corpse, looking like it was dead for two-four weeks or so and sprouts claws. Basically its a Nosferatu but the following extras: Powers: Claws and Bite, Movement Weakness: Dietary requirement: metahuman flesh.

Infovore: The vampire for the new age. HMHVV-4?. Basically a psychic vamprie. drains memories or even age. Essence loss to zero either turns the victim into a mindless drone. Basically here are the powers: Essence drain, immunity age. Weaknesses: Dietery requirement(memories: drained via essence los), Essence loss.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-16-10/0324:52> »
Another HMHVV subtype

Ghul: Found in the Middle East, this HMHVV-1 sub variant only affects humans. Basically turns the infected human into a cannibalistic( raw metahuman flesh) immortal without the usual vampire powers or even weaknesses. Powers: Infection, Compulsion, influence, immunity: age, pathogens, toxins, essence drain, sapience. Weakness: Dietery Requirements: metahuman flesh(fresh).

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-16-10/0521:56> »
From reading Earthdawn, its hinted that the undead were originally created by the Horrors.

So HMHVV is actually a horror corrupted virus. Technically.
Used this once ago, to make the whole HMHVV viruses spread wide across the world an horror, as Rystul is, which feed of the pain inflicted to the infected's victims. Wasn't clearly said in the campaign, just a short and frightening vision of the horror, I don't think my players really understood, but it wasn't the goal, just a clue to make them think about crazy theories.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

NottiDredd

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <10-01-10/1248:46> »
While we are on this subject I actually just had a character that was infected in game with HMHVV, or a strain there of anyway (special ghoul strain).  So I have a question to all my fellow runners.  The new techniques of cellular repair can return lost essence and attributes due to the virus even though it can't cure it, however those techniques are not yet available on the particular time line (2059 at the current moment, gonna be awhile). 

So I turn to magic given that there are health spells that heal damage, could a health spell potentially be written to restore lost attributes (not essence/magic).  In fact I just so happen to have a spell written.  I'd like some opinions on whether anyone thinks it will work.  (it's written in 3ed format)

Restore (Attribute)
Type: M         Target: Attribute            Duration: Permanent           Drain:  M

These spells can permanently restore a lost attribute due to disease or damage.  Each attribute requires a separate spell.  The target number is the attribute to be restored.  Every two successes restore 1 point, up to the maximum force of the spell.  The spell may be applied anytime.  A character may only be restored once for any set of injuries (disease lowers strength then the runner loses an arm on a run.  Each may be treated separately, but only once.) A cyberware version could exist.  This spell will restore racial maximums as well.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #13 on: <10-01-10/1916:45> »
If what I remember from Runner's Companion is right, you can't restore Attribute losses from HMHVV by any means.  The virus actively resists any such attempts, rewriting the infected's DNA to what it wants and essentially either resets or negates the attempt or it kills the infected.  I think you're pretty much screwed on it.  Of course, you can always just say, "Eat it, I'm the GM and I'm making it this way."  But I would make the Drain on a spell that restores Attributes very high.  If I even allowed it.  It's very powerful.

NottiDredd

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <10-01-10/1929:32> »
In the FAQ, is states that "Can cellular repair (p.88, Augmentation) regain Essence lost due to infection with HMHVV?

Yes."

So if the tech can repair the attribute losses including essence (fairly cheaply i might add) then why would a spell not be able to repair the normal attributes?

This is the ghoul variant by the way.

The drain code fits with the spell design rules laid out by the Magic in the Shadows supplement.
« Last Edit: <10-01-10/1932:10> by NottiDredd »