Neo-Tokyo FAQ Discussion

• 90 Replies

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <03-21-18/1523:00> »
"That is a fair and generous offer, Tanaka-san, but..."
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #31 on: <03-21-18/1718:50> »
Yeah this negotiation topic is one of those things that gonna be awkward for awhile, right next to players are gonna wanna to pull swords instead of guns as the default plan B response.

But characters have etiquette on the sheet for a reason. 
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <03-22-18/1534:18> »
You can nod silently while allowing your eyes to look troubled as you absentmindedly tap the lip of your tea cup.  Or whatever.  There are lots of low key ways of demonstrating dissatisfaction in negotiations--it's not like people slam their fists on the table during irl talks (often).  At first glance, it feels like Chicago was defined by "loud" and Tokyo is going to be defined by "quiet."  Not exactly a pink/black line, more one of scale and focus.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Ktonberry249

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #33 on: <03-23-18/1232:27> »
While i understand the logic, cutting off All the CMPs from previous years to "Japan" characters seems like a bad move, i might suggest that you open up either 2017 and maybe 2016 CMP Missions, or maybe just the sets published like London Falling and Firing Line to Japan Characters. Otherwise i honestly don't see playing any of the old CMPs ever again which is honestly quite a disappointment. It would likely completely kill most of my local Shadowrun missions group since we would have no missions to play locally except the 6 SRMs which if they are being released at the speed they are may as well be a year delay between Origins and PDF release.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <03-23-18/1451:53> »
While i understand the logic, cutting off All the CMPs from previous years to "Japan" characters seems like a bad move, i might suggest that you open up either 2017 and maybe 2016 CMP Missions, or maybe just the sets published like London Falling and Firing Line to Japan Characters. Otherwise i honestly don't see playing any of the old CMPs ever again which is honestly quite a disappointment. It would likely completely kill most of my local Shadowrun missions group since we would have no missions to play locally except the 6 SRMs which if they are being released at the speed they are may as well be a year delay between Origins and PDF release.

You can keep running Season 5, 6, 7 CMPs and such until a big enough backlog of Season 8 Missions builds up.

I don't think the release schedule is changing so if the Season 5,6,7 material was keeping pace with your Missions group swapping over to new setting should be fine.  If your  group was re-running the older stuff anyway you'll have to juggle for a bit.  Heck just run the Tennessee suite series, that should take care of any season 5 survivors.  : )   

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <03-23-18/1634:43> »
I think a clean slate is a good choice. Chicago really wants different characters then Neo-Tokyo. I liked Chicago fine, but I ready for new things!

I'm super excited about making a katana packing adept, I just haven't determined from which angle to approach from.

I think the Modern Shin-sen-gumi may have to be reborn, or maybe a character based off Bushido Gourmet, wander around Neo-tokyo while on runs eating at famous food carts? Perhaps something a little more anime? I'm not sure yet. But I will keep at it until the concept exactly where i want it.
Thinking
com
speaking

Ktonberry249

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #36 on: <03-23-18/1727:51> »

You can keep running Season 5, 6, 7 CMPs and such until a big enough backlog of Season 8 Missions builds up.

I don't think the release schedule is changing so if the Season 5,6,7 material was keeping pace with your Missions group swapping over to new setting should be fine.  If your  group was re-running the older stuff anyway you'll have to juggle for a bit.  Heck just run the Tennessee suite series, that should take care of any season 5 survivors.  : )

That doesn't end up being the problem, i run with two groups, one we have given up on missions for the moment so the endgame of slow releases and the character reset has already taken its toll. The other has enough players who are interested but they want their characters to be relevant and not need to re-start them whenever catalyst decides to release season 9 in 2019 if we're lucky since they can't attend the larger cons.

Limiting the material is fine, as long as some can remain relevant, which is why i argue published CMP books should be legal. The point you seemed to have missed is that many actual players as far as i can tell want to play a character that will be relevant in two years, not essentially dead once season 9 starts except for Prime missions.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #37 on: <03-24-18/0852:48> »
I believe limiting Prime Runners from Chicago to PMs and SMHs from the new Season is the best option. That allow for us to dust off old favorites for 4-8 or so Missions in the new Season if the production pattern holds true.

As far as legalizing additional CMPs, I am torn. On the one hand, it provides more material to play more quickly, and that is good. On the other hand, it leads to higher karma PCs, and they are just difficult to challenge in the confines of the mission setting.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <03-24-18/0906:49> »
As far as legalizing additional CMPs, I am torn. On the one hand, it provides more material to play more quickly, and that is good. On the other hand, it leads to higher karma PCs, and they are just difficult to challenge in the confines of the mission setting.

While I agree having more things to play is good, and more then that opening them would encourage more folks to buy them which i also think good for everyone involved, PC thing is real. I just had couple page discussion with new demo team member who purposefully trigger the dragon intervention more then once simply to see if their pc could kill a dragon, and it seemed clear that some GM are not prepared to deal with the level of power gaming some players are prepared to push. While personal experience suggests that it's not huge issue it's important to recall that it does exist.
Thinking
com
speaking

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #39 on: <03-24-18/1409:14> »
That is fair. And don't get me wrong, I am one of those min-maxers. I just enjoy seeing how far I can push the limits with character building. But that said, table disruption is almost always more of a player personality factor than a character build factor.

The easy way to address that issue is to limit maximum potential karma and nuyen. I do not know how previous years of missions went, but Chicago Season had a huge number of available missions.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <03-24-18/1603:56> »
That is fair. And don't get me wrong, I am one of those min-maxers. I just enjoy seeing how far I can push the limits with character building. But that said, table disruption is almost always more of a player personality factor than a character build factor.

Agreed on both counts, pushing stats should just make the run go smoother, and not result in epic stupidity like trigger the dragon response.
But for ever good power gamer we have, there's always going to be couple bad apples spoiling it for us all.

Thinking
com
speaking

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #41 on: <03-25-18/1658:19> »

The easy way to address that issue is to limit maximum potential karma and nuyen. I do not know how previous years of missions went, but Chicago Season had a huge number of available missions.

Season 1 was SR3.

Season 2 was SR4 and Denver, and was about 24 adventures, give or take.  Season 3 was Manhattan and was 12 adventures.

Season 4 was Seattle and was 13 Adventures, and we put a limit on karma coming into this season (Max of 150 karma, IIRC). This was 2010, and the first year we started doing CMPs, and there were 3 years and 24 CMPs released for 4th Edition. There were also 3 SMH adventures, Special Missions done for special occasions.

The Chicago series (Season 5 through 8) was SR5, and was a hard reset on characters, since it was a new edition.  There will be 24 Chicago adventures, I believe 40 CMPs done for SR5, 16(?) CMPs that were collected, reprinted, and/or updated from SR4 to SR5 that were released in compilations, and I think 4 SMH adventures. 

Considering that the new location is on another continent halfway around the world, and has a very different vibe and restrictions, I think a hard reset is the best way to handle the new season, and would be what I would have done if I was still Missions Coordinator. 

Looking forward to seeing what the gang does with this season.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #42 on: <03-25-18/2125:20> »
3 SMHs and 3 PMs, but yes, that looks right to me too.

I personally am fond of the idea of very small allowances (such as SMHs and PMs only) that permit us to continue to play our prime runners from season to season, just to dust off old favorites once or twice a year. Other than that, I mostly agree with your position. Fresh is the best way to go.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #43 on: <03-27-18/1139:01> »
Once again, thanks for the discussion.

The Hard reset was something we thought about a lot.  Ultimately, the CMPs are written at a non-Prime Runner level.  If your Prime Runner Chicago characters played CMPs, the challenge factor would be lacking.

Yes, Chicago allowed for (non-SR4 converted) Prime Runners to go back and forth, but that was a nod to the fact that there weren't many PMs available once your character went Prime.

That said, for all of you with favorites you'll want to dust off from time to time, I do have a surprise for you...

I want to note something on Negotiations... the system is going to stay the same, mechanically.  You will roll Charisma + Negotiate vs the Tanaka's Charisma + Negotiate.  Net hits will score additional Nuyen.  We want to negotiate the flavor of Japan into the runs, so we;re adding a note to the fluff and how it 'plays out'.  Though, instead of the Johnson saying, "Alright, fine, how about another X nuyen?" you may not know if you will get more or not until the very end...
That's just like... your opinion, man.

evilaustintom

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <03-27-18/1220:29> »
...I want to note something on Negotiations... the system is going to stay the same, mechanically.  You will roll Charisma + Negotiate vs the Tanaka's Charisma + Negotiate.  Net hits will score additional Nuyen.  We want to negotiate the flavor of Japan into the runs, so we;re adding a note to the fluff and how it 'plays out'.  Though, instead of the Johnson saying, "Alright, fine, how about another X nuyen?" you may not know if you will get more or not until the very end...

That's what I was looking for.  That's good to know.  I'm all for holding off until the end on any 'bonus pay' for good negotiations or role-playing.
"Don't worry!  I'm your Candyman - we can make that happen..."