NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings DUSK

• 445 Replies

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #135 on: <10-04-16/1053:34> »
...Torley was doing his level best to piss her off, and nothing was going the way she wanted things to go....

....(Torley's spiel painting you as part timers)....

I've got to say, both of these interpretations are a surprise to me. Torley was trying to project an air of confident professionalism throughout; the only "slip" I can see was his comment about her probably already knowing his name, which she interpreted as a reference to their mutual connection through the Club. Sam's response--that he was expecting her to have done at least some research into the group, which would presumably have told her at the very least the face's primary alias--was my honest expectation from the get-go. When she made her misunderstanding clear (with the "what connection would we have" line), Sam tried to butter her up a bit by talking about how he didn't believe her to be an incompetent J.

She responded to this attempt at flattery with cold-hearted condescension ("Now, here is how things actually happen in 'our line of work.'...). Sam's response to that was to adjust his opinion of her (sliding down the competency scale rather quickly), and tried to reassure her that she was working with professionals. At this point, he included the possibility that he could end the meet, connection with the Club be damned. He was still trying to be respectful, but letting her know that she wasn't doing a good job on her end.

At this point, she went into full-on bitch mode, telling Torley to "get that stick out of your hoop", and then immediately turning that into a rather insulting nickname. (Sam's really not going to enjoy this trip if she keeps using it, since as far as he can tell, she's the one with the stick.)

Since she'd finally gotten around to giving us details & a (presumed) starting point for negotiations, Sam ignored her crassness and indicated the team's willingness to leave quickly, even proposing that they could leave without Snow. I guess I can see his comment about "obligations which will have to be postponed" as indicating a part-time status, though to my mind that's a stretch; most Shadowrunners have side gigs going on in their downtime (training, 'science' experiments, ritual spells, whatever) and would have trouble leaving for a foreign country at a moment's notice.

And although he didn't roll very well on the negotiation test, four hits should have gotten more than "if you're not going to take my opening offer, we're done here" line. That's what I'd expect from a glitch roll.
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #136 on: <10-04-16/1709:05> »
By the way, Sam's going to give the Johnson a polite (but cold) nod and follow Snow onto the plane unless the J stops him to say something. Sam still thinks of her as a frigid, arrogant, demanding J; he's not going to go out of his way to make nice with her until/unless he sees her say or do something to indicate that he might be wrong.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #137 on: <10-04-16/1838:10> »
Just letting folks know, I live in Charleston South Carolina, and it is looking very likely that I will be leaving town tomorrow before Hurricane Matthew starts fucking up my area.  May cause some hiccups in my posting ability, fair warning.

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #138 on: <10-04-16/1841:40> »
Stay safe! (And don't send it up here to northern Virginia! ;) )

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #139 on: <10-04-16/1847:12> »
So team composition is

Sammy - Neutral Good
Clem - Chaotic Good
Torley - Neutral
Snow - Lawful Evil
O'Connor - Chaotic Evil

Crossbow, you never put in your two cents.

I don't think any of you qualify as evil by the D&D standard.  Killing without motive and acting in a selfish or cowardly way are the marks of evil. I would also push Clem up to Neutral Good, her way of doing tings is way too ordered to by Chaotic.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #140 on: <10-04-16/1849:23> »
Stay safe! (And don't send it up here to northern Virginia! ;) )

I am not sending it anywhere, it is coming on it's own, though you are probably just going to have a rainy weekend out of it.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #141 on: <10-04-16/1854:17> »
I am all for moving on and RPing the hell out of this.  There is little we can do to correct the J's impression of us at this point, so we move on or dump her contract.  She may think Snow made a poor choice by going to the date, but the Vory had told her of the date days before the J arranged the meeting.  There has never been a question in Snow's mind which was more important.  The trick was trying to see if both could work.  If the date decides to stay or the Vory wants her to follow this guy she will have to look at that, but her initial loyalty is to the Vory.

Which is all well and good for Snow to be able to sleep at night, but Johnson(Jane) knows nothing about your ties to the crime family.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #142 on: <10-04-16/1913:50> »
Thinking large gym bag, your gear would fit, but only just.  No room for clothes.

Dufflebags come in various sizes. Are we talking a small gym bag or a honking army kitbag? How much of the following list is feasible?

Everyone put in 1,700¥ so the team fund stands at 8,500¥. R6 Medkits with the 10% markup are 660¥ each, for a total of 3,300¥. Leaving 5,200¥ in the team fund.

Pencil that in, but it could change.

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #143 on: <10-04-16/1955:19> »
So team composition is

Sammy - Neutral Good
Clem - Chaotic Good
Torley - Neutral
Snow - Lawful Evil
O'Connor - Chaotic Evil
Crossbow, you never put in your two cents.
I don't think any of you qualify as evil by the D&D standard.  Killing without motive and acting in a selfish or cowardly way are the marks of evil. I would also push Clem up to Neutral Good, her way of doing tings is way too ordered to by Chaotic.
So you see the team as?
Sammy - Neutral Good
Clem - Neutral Good
Snow - Lawful Neutral
Torley - True Neutral
O'Connor - Chaotic Neutral
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #144 on: <10-04-16/2316:55> »
As for gear, I think the only things Snow has are the medkit and refills.  If that is too much for the bag then she would have given her clothes to Andrew at the airport, except for putting a couple of pairs of panties in her pockets.

She will be giving the inoculations as the team rolls in.  You have not said if Jane needs the shots.  Snow did get enough for all six, if she needs them.

As for the hurricane, good luck.  I was stationed in Charleston when Hurricane Hugo came through.  I went about 17 miles inland to Summerville to stay with friends when it blew in.  Lost a good part of the roof of my places and lots of stuff from rain damage.  No power for days.  Some looters were shot.  Some fragging scalpers were trying to sell 10lb bags of ice for $30 and gas for generators and chainsaws for about $8 a gallon.  We were trapped in the friend's home for about three weeks before they got a temp roof on our place.  Quite traumatic.  Played a ton of D&D to pass the time. 

I hope that you fare better.
« Last Edit: <10-04-16/2323:34> by Mercy Merchant »
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #145 on: <10-04-16/2336:09> »
Necro, that's about right.  Snow, you have plenty of room.

Thvor, I appreciate the insight into Sam's mind, but you all need to understand, Jane was confused, anxious, more than a little angry at different times during that meet.  But the biggest part of things was, she was friendly and sarcastic, or, better descriptor, snarky.  Your character can read that as arrogant and condescending,but it really isn't true.  BTW, as far as she is concerned, your name is Stick, if it pisses you off, more the better in her eyes, you don't get to pick your street name.

In fact, when you nod at her, she will return the greeting nod and say "Stick." in a friendly, matter-of-fact way.

Another point, Sam's assumptions of how things work are not accurate.  No one could do sufficient research on your team at this point to have the information you seem to expect her to have.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #146 on: <10-05-16/0145:22> »
Just letting folks know, I live in Charleston South Carolina, and it is looking very likely that I will be leaving town tomorrow before Hurricane Matthew starts fucking up my area.  May cause some hiccups in my posting ability, fair warning.

Indeed, stay safe.  I'm so lucky I live in a place where we don't have these extremes in weather.  We often bitch about our weather (we can get quite a bit of rain), but compared to other places, it's not that bad.

Anyways, if you're out of it for some day, we might not speak again before my leave.  I'll continue to post until Sunday and after that I'll see depending on where I am (and I'll put a post in here on Sunday with some things if needed).
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #147 on: <10-05-16/0421:41> »
Meanwhile in Japan, we're on our 10th or so typhoon since the start of summer. Nevertheless, don't take any chances and stay safe.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #148 on: <10-05-16/1052:16> »
Thvor, I appreciate the insight into Sam's mind, but you all need to understand, Jane was confused, anxious, more than a little angry at different times during that meet.  But the biggest part of things was, she was friendly and sarcastic, or, better descriptor, snarky.  Your character can read that as arrogant and condescending,but it really isn't true.  BTW, as far as she is concerned, your name is Stick, if it pisses you off, more the better in her eyes, you don't get to pick your street name.

...and this is the challenge of playing a face character through PbP. Sam's charisma and kinesics should be enough for him to pick up on her subtle social cues and interpret her comments accordingly, which would change how he interacts with her. If she was confused or anxious, or trying to be friendly or snarky, that didn't come across in her dialog, though there should have been body language cues for it. Especially since Sam had 6 hits on a perception roll on the Johnson at the very beginning, it's hard to believe that he wouldn't have picked up on her emotional state*.

PbP is slow enough as it is; I don't want to have to post in the OOC thread asking if Sam has noticed any of these cues (or, even worse, do a judge intentions roll and ask for you to provide extra details) for every line of dialog. If we were at a table, it'd be easier to just ask you to clarify, but... <shrug> I'm not sure how we could handle this better. It's frustrating for me, as a player, to realize that the issues all of us had with the initial meeting stems from a misunderstanding between player and gamemaster, rather than the interaction one would expect from two highly charismatic characters.

* He picked up that she wanted to know their individual capabilities, which as others have said isn't all that common, and that she already knew the size of our group, but nothing was said about her overall emotional state, comfort level, and so on. Unfortunately, by this point you were already playing her as interpreting Sam's greeting as a subtle nod towards their mutual connection, which was not my intention at all.

Another point, Sam's assumptions of how things work are not accurate.  No one could do sufficient research on your team at this point to have the information you seem to expect her to have.

Not Sam's assumption--mine. If that assumption is wrong, then that's on my inexperience as a Shadowrun player. As a player, I'm aware that each of us are gaining Street Cred and Public Awareness. We've started shopping ourselves around as a group, with a group name. Sam is the face of the group; my expectation is that any fixers we contacted would be told to contact him, which would include his preferred alias. If that's an unreasonable or inaccurate expectation, then I, the player, am the one that needs to learn. Sam (the character) would already know this, and has a high enough charisma that he wouldn't make such a blunder.

I guess what I'm saying is that, if you as GM suspect that I've had Sam say something that he wouldn't realistically say, especially based on his charisma & ability to read people, then point out to me in the OOC thread that I've made a mistake. I try to post Sam's inner thoughts frequently so that you can understand where (I believe) he's coming from. If you feel that his interpretation of dialog doesn't match the emotional content you intended the NPC to convey, bring it up and give me a chance to rework it with more complete information.

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #149 on: <10-08-16/2018:34> »
Crossbow, saw on the news that the hurricane passed through South Carolina today. You get through it okay?
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters