NEWS

Codes of Honor and SRM.

• 80 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #75 on: <02-23-19/0521:36> »
...hate having to necro this thread, but where exactly is the description of "Nationalism".  I've looked through every sourcebook I have, did a search here (which only pointed me back to this thread) and even tried googling it but found no references.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <02-23-19/0548:20> »
Assassin's Primer

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #77 on: <02-23-19/1630:04> »
...looked through it again and couldn't find it, even did a word search for "national" and nothing turned up. 

As it apparently is from that particular supplement, wouldn't really work for a Face.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #78 on: <02-23-19/1736:12> »
Are you thinking of "My Country, Right or Wrong" on page 17?  (4 point Positive Quality)

Quote from: Assassins Primer
Patriotism is the core of this assassin’s being. He serves his country by doing his deadly job, and he knows his work is justified because it helps the nation that he calls home.  Enemies both foreign and domestic must be dealt with so the nation’s citizens can live in peace and security.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #79 on: <02-23-19/2055:45> »
...no, as in the latest FAQ (Combined 1.3 section 5. P. 21) it lists "Nationalist" as a "form/type" of an Honour Code, along with the other Negative quality types from the Ethics Codes and Other Jokes section in Run Faster (p. 22 - 32) where I expected to find it   

On P. 19 of that same section it lists My Country Right or Wrong from The Assassin's Primer as being disallowed.

A "Nationalist" also doesn't necessarily need to be an assassin as we have seen in RL history which is why I inquired about it.
« Last Edit: <02-23-19/2132:28> by kyoto kid »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #80 on: <02-23-19/2107:30> »
We all know the Steve Long Quote.

I'm perfectly fine to have that conversation, it's really at the heart of this topic. I've also runs a good number of missions, and I other then bees one which was particularly memorable b/c the American Honey bee is extinct according the fluff. I don't really recall any flaws ether. So I'm just saying we need to find means to help address that. I think Codes are way to do it. I'm perfectly willing to admit I'm biased, but at the same time, that doesn't necessarily make me wrong.

What I'm trying to say is, Codes atlesat give a broader set of conditions then a binary reality of an allergy or Prejudice.

Code of Elven Chivalry- fights happen in public a lot, a ganger could easily grab beautiful passer by and trigger that code. Yes it does require action on the GM's part, but it's easier and flows more naturally then some magically escaped bees.

Since this thread got necroed, I want to point out the difference in game design with steve long games and this one.  In champions or many other hero games like 1/2 your points come from disadvantages.  In SR5 its like 3-5%. You really aren't getting many points so it doesn't really take much to have it impact play proportionally. I've always used them as ways to add interesting quirks to the story instead of ways to make people earn their points so to speak. In that respect I'd prefer code of honor as a GM as more of the onus is on the player to bring it into the game so I don't have to worry about it.  allergy on the other hand I wouldn't even consider mentioning silver unless I knew the character had the allergy.  If someone took code of the hermetic(not in missions) I'm sure there will be plenty of events over the course of the game where the destruction of unique items/knowledge might come up.  I'm doing nothing to feature, it the ordinary course of the game does that for me.