NEWS

[IC] Waves of Desperation (Seattle Gauntlet, Part I)

• 374 Replies

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #15 on: <07-11-13/0226:04> »
man am I glad that's done! Time to go shopping.. I need some new threads, something more summery than.this bloody jacket
Matt pops his piloting helmet off, gives his head a good itch and stashes the helmet in his satchel bag, folding his heavy jacket over his arm and pumping his shirt to move some air over his sticky feeling body.
well this scrip aint gonna help me with the bills so might as well spend it!
Matt swipes his contractor pass through the maglock and heads out into the crowds, Drone Shack and Zara his first ports of call.
The security door slammed behind him with a heavy thud and he was greeted with a cool blast of air conditioning, marble and a blaze of AR. This place looked even better 'in the meat' than through the sensors of the company's drone fleet.
Skipping brealkfast meant Matt was bloody starving. The smell of the nearby noodle bar catching his nose and leading him in.
A large ARO hovering above the stand advertised the introductory deal, free supersize upgrade with every large noodle box purchased today.
Deal!
The queue was dying down as Matt made his mind up, and. It wasn't long before he took a seat with a veritable box of sticky chicken noodles and people watched for a while
« Last Edit: <07-11-13/0416:14> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <07-11-13/0455:42> »
--Leroy--
As you ranted on, the human took on the characteristics of an overgrown turkey. Face puffed and red, his breath came heavier by every word. The comm drone tried to get his attention back, but the voice coming from it was drowned in yours, and finally the man swatted it away with a sweep of his hand.

It could’ve gone well, some inevitable shouting match closing the whole incident. But as Leroy used the keyword – beanstalk – the man burst out. Impertinence! How dare you, you little runt! Where have the standards of this place fallen? ‘Customer first’, sure. Now you apologize unless you want your squat little ass handed to you and then call the manager, understood?” And as if it was an afterthought he added “And call a real medic to take care of my mother!”

--Miko--
The warm and better-than-usual food made your day. You couldn’t even be bothered by some of the sneers and snide comments you overheard, commenting on your skin and well-groomed outlook. As you neared your post though, this semblance of calm shattered as you heard raised voices form nearby. Directing your attention there, almost subconsciously, you heard the last few shouted sentences. “Now you apologize unless you want your squat little ass handed to you and then call the manager, understood?... And call a real medic to take care of my mother!”

You saw that people already started to avoid the immediate vicinity of the two arguing men, a dwarf in simple clothing and a human, not too much higher than the other, in black synthleather. There woulds someone on a bench behind the human but you couldn’t see from here.

--Matt--
Zara was a piece of cake. Most people gathered now at the food stalls, and though it was still crowded, you’d have hated to be here earlier. And the DroneShack was worth looking at, even though they mostly sold basic stuff. Their offer on coolant fluids was such a bargain that you even thought of sending a rack of it Danny’s way – he’d surely be thankful.

And the Shack wasn’t the only place to look. You noticed a shop of a rare brand, Companero de Rotor, in a somewhat remote corner in Sector C. As you came near, you noticed that this was a rag-tag collection of shops: the one you were looking for stood right next to one selling pharmaceuticals for paranormal critters. As you passed the other shop, the door slid open. You realized too late that the photocell didn’t sense only you but also someone coming from the inside, and you couldn’t avoid collision. You both fell down, two boxes of merchandise scattering around you.

--Joel—
You found the Evo ParaPharma in Sector C, in a somewhat remote corner, among a rag-tag collection of other shops. A rather strange combination, a pharmacy and a drone parts shop standing next to each other. Dr. Stills was inside, browsing the wares, and firing away a series of questions to an employee, who answered them with a slightly apprehensive smile on his face.

As you arrived, and the doctor finally noticed you, his expression brightened. “Good, you’re finally here. Help me with those boxes, will you?” With no place for objection, you stood there, waiting for the employees to finish filling the boxes. You took two out of three – fortunately, they weren’t heavy at all.

Exiting the shop, you turned to the doctor. He just started to talk about where you should take the boxes, when you felt a hit, and you were sprawled on the ground, the boxes out of your hands, their contents scattered all around.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

Gustovness

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-11-13/0925:22> »
Leroy smiled, looked around, knew he had been wronged first, and shouted, "SECURITY!"

When the security guard would arrive, the man would have to explain to the guard (hopefully not another human), that he wasn't allowing Leroy to do his job and why.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Mentor Spirit

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <07-11-13/1005:17> »
Joel yelped as he was knocked back, the two boxes he was carrying opening as the landed around him. "Oh, frag." He cursed quietly as he landed. "I hope nothing in here was fragile... Sorry Doctor." He began quickly attempting to repack the boxes, muttering under his breath before looking up belatedly to see whom he had collided with, noting the appearance of the older male human briefly before returning quickly to repacking the boxes.

This is why I hate crowds. Oh well, if this stuff isn't fragile, we've got some nice supplies for the pens back at the pyramid.
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #19 on: <07-11-13/1132:26> »
"Shit, I am so sorry. are you ok? here, let me help you with those"
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-11-13/1150:17> »
--Joel and Matt--
Dr. Stills neatly sidestepped the whole scene and looked at both of you getting up, a bit worried. "Not so quickly, Joel, be careful with those. Hope you didn't hit yourself too bad." Fortunately most of the stuff was in plastic casings, and even the glass pastilles were wrapped in polystyrene. Nothing seemed to be damaged. The doctor then turned to Matt. "Thank you, mister, i'd be grateful for your help, it is... OH MY GOD, WHAT IS IT DOING, SOMEBODY STOP THAT DRONE!" The old man's voice alarmed both Joel and Matt, it carried so much anger and shock. He pointed at a maintenance drone closing in almost soundlessly, tools for cleaning up what it undoubtedly - and mistakenly - sensed as a mess at the ready.
Bulldog
Stake

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #21 on: <07-11-13/1204:53> »
Matt spun on his heels and saw the drone heading over unnecessarily. Realising he'd be locked out of the drone maintenance system now he'd swiped out for the day, he had to get a message through to the on-duty rigger.
//Matrix Message Protocol 1.0.2b//Duty rigger, we have a clean-up drone in sector C outside campenero de rotor showing signs of inappropriate response. Please can you jump in and override its pilot before it hurts someone? Thanks -Hunter//
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-11-13/1242:38> »
Just fracking great, Jade thought as she stomped over.
"What's going on here," she asked when she arrived at the scene.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-11-13/1254:04> »
--Miko and Leroy--
"I'll tell you what happened... here..." The voice of the human trailed off somewhat as he turned towards Miko. He certainly didn't expect a person more than one and a half time bigger to appear. Although it didn't seem possible a few seconds ago, his face became even more puffed and red, but the momentary surprise took the wind out of his sails.
Behind the man, Miko could see that an elderly human woman, probably a relative of the former, was sitting on the bench, clutching her left leg with a pained expression, eyeing the medkit hopefully.

The arrival of the troll security guard opened up the way to the patient, and Leroy couldn't miss the pleading in her eyes.
Bulldog
Stake

Gustovness

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <07-11-13/1649:38> »
Leroy shot a grin at the racist human, then looked over at the large troll who showed up to help him,

"Would you mind sticking around to make sure that this kind lady gets the medical attention she needs?"

Leroy put enunciation into certain parts of his request of the security guard to send the subtle message that something was up and he wasn't keeping her around without a valid reason.

"Alrighty, ma'am, we're gonna go ahead and get you patched up, okay?  First, let me ask you a couple of quick questions to make sure I don't end up making any injuries worse..."

As Leroy began to touch and feel the woman's injuries, he asked her about current medical conditions and allergies to ensure he wouldn't end up giving her a painkiller that would have an adverse affect.  Once he isolated the sprain and confirmed that that's what it was, he handed the woman the appropriate pain killers and began to apply the required medical dressings to treat the sprain and prevent any further pain or damage.

[spoiler]LOG 5 + First Aid 7 + Medkit 4 - 1 Average Indoor Conditions = 15 (15d6.hits(5)=3)

Wow, 3 hits on a 15 dice roll! No glitch, but I did have eight 2's!

Anyways, the usual threshold is 2 so I got one net hit, right?  Just asking cause I've never played a healer before :P[/spoiler]
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Mentor Spirit

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <07-11-13/1751:16> »
--Miko and Leroy--
Under the forbidding stare of a troll, the human proved far less brave. He restrained himself by force of will - a miracle, really - and switched to look at the troll and the dwarf frequently. At the end of the treatment, when the man's eyes were at Miko, the woman gave an uncertain smile and mouthed a silent "thanks" to Leroy. He wasn't able to work as well as he expected but this place was full of distractions.

The receiver in Miko's ear came alive just as the pair of humans left the scene, the woman leaning heavily on the man. "A good one, Miyazawa. Make sure everything's all right then get back to your post." The shift manager's voice radiated mild satisfaction, just as when you did a good job in a task where everyone expected you to do so.
Bulldog
Stake

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <07-11-13/2042:21> »
"I'm fine, thank you." Joel responded to the concerns as he carefully began repacking the supplies, jumping slightly as the Doctor's voice suddenly changed tone. He looked up to see the maintenance drone approaching, and hoped one of the others knew how to deal with it. His knowledge of drones was mostly lacking, so he attempted to speed up the packing to hopefully make the drone go away.

"Thankfully these are packaged, or this would be more inconvenient."
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-12-13/0432:11> »
--Joel and Matt--
The drone was about half a meter from where the goods were scattered when it finally let out a barely audible beep, then stopped dead in its track. A few seconds later, it started up again and turned around, leaving you behind. The face of the maintenance rigger appeared in an AR overlay for Matt. ”Hey, I owe you a beer, chummer. And if I see Stetson from maintenance, I’ll give him a good whack on the head for both of us, I told ‘em to double-check these little buggers. Third fragging hiccup since zero hour. Lucky you are still registered in comms as local workforce, we are prohibited from taking personal calls during work.”

Meanwhile, the Doctor was slowly calming down, and with two people packing, the boxes were back together in no time. The old man offered his hand to Matt. ”Thanks again for your help. My name is Dr. Jason Stills. If it is not too much trouble, could you please help us carry the third box to my car? I’m afraid I was a little inconsiderate when I let Joel pack those two high.” He had a pleasant voice when he didn’t shout at the top of his lungs.

The few people, who started to pay attention to the shout, turned away and went on with their business again.
Bulldog
Stake

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #28 on: <07-12-13/0440:49> »
//Heh, yeah he's got his work cut out for him this week. Have a good one pal.//
"Matt Hunt, good to me you. Yep, no problems, lead the way"
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <07-12-13/0545:08> »
--Joel and Matt--
 Dr. Stills thanked again and started towards the elevators leading down to the parking levels. He seemed to be deep in thought during the whole way, so you had the opportunity for a little chat.

When you finally arrived to a green-and-grey, middle-sized Chrysler, and put the boxes in the trunk, he thanked both of you for the help. Sensing, that Joel might start to object being left behind, he held up his hands. ”No-no-no, I can manage from here. The guys at the department will be able to help pacing out. And you don’t have a pack so that means you didn’t get what you came for so you better go back. Have fun, Joel. And thanks again, Mr. Hunt.” The last words already came through the open window of the car, and without further hesitation, waving once, he ordered the autopilot to go.

That left Joel and Matt standing beside the empty parking space.
« Last Edit: <07-14-13/0656:59> by Ren »
Bulldog
Stake