NEWS

Underbarrrel grenade launcher

• 18 Replies

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-23-19/1413:09> »
I would allow to dodge the grenade, but as long as you're in the explosive range, you're going to take the damage.  If the grenade hit you in the chest or dropped right next to you doesn't matter.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #16 on: <03-23-19/1538:27> »
Interesting, very interesting.

There is a world of difference between a Thrown Knife, Thrown Grenade, Launched Explosive, AE Spell... IMO.... using real world physics v/s how the rules behave.

A Knife, Dart, Baseball, are all thrown directly at you, usually with as much force as possible.

Grenades on the other hand, at least according to my Basic Training Instructors, are lobbed.
We got yelled at for throwing them like baseballs or footballs or any thing from the shoulder or waist (sidearm).
We had to stiff arm toss them UP & over like you were one of those plastic army men from child hood.
It was really annoying actually, not at all natural, BUT, meant to teach us how to get it inside of a fox hole or sand bag emplacement & not bounce around rolling past the enemy or back at us.

The timed delay of them to me & that slow arcing toss is what is represented by the RUN chance you get with AE's.

I don't really see it applying to a Knife OR for that matter launched explosives/spells that are moving fast & explode on impact.

But I guess that was too much for the rules, so I'd rather see it work on all the AE's since as a general rule most of the AE's are overpowered.  (Not Direct Spells like Stunball, but the Indirect are for sure)

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #17 on: <03-23-19/1549:26> »
...yeah the "lob" makes perfect sense as why one only deeds on'y 3 hits to "place" a grenade.   In RL grenades didn't explode once they landed (during WW II there was an baseball pitcher who was known for hurling live grenades back at the Japanese after they landed in the LST he was on). 

The trick is waiting until near the end of the turn to lob one when the oppos may be out of initiative.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-23-19/1704:31> »
Interesting, very interesting.

There is a world of difference between a Thrown Knife, Thrown Grenade, Launched Explosive, AE Spell... IMO.... using real world physics v/s how the rules behave.

A Knife, Dart, Baseball, are all thrown directly at you, usually with as much force as possible.

Grenades on the other hand, at least according to my Basic Training Instructors, are lobbed.
We got yelled at for throwing them like baseballs or footballs or any thing from the shoulder or waist (sidearm).
We had to stiff arm toss them UP & over like you were one of those plastic army men from child hood.
It was really annoying actually, not at all natural, BUT, meant to teach us how to get it inside of a fox hole or sand bag emplacement & not bounce around rolling past the enemy or back at us.

The timed delay of them to me & that slow arcing toss is what is represented by the RUN chance you get with AE's.

I don't really see it applying to a Knife OR for that matter launched explosives/spells that are moving fast & explode on impact.

But I guess that was too much for the rules, so I'd rather see it work on all the AE's since as a general rule most of the AE's are overpowered.  (Not Direct Spells like Stunball, but the Indirect are for sure)

Yeah it makes sense why it works vs thrown grenades.  Grenade launchers would be a pretty direct shot and much faster, indirect spells even more direct and much much faster(mainly die to the ludicrous nature of LoS spells, they could flash from 5 miles out to the target spot in the same time a grenade shoots something 100 meters), so I'm not sure on the logic vs indirect AoE spells in the rules. But, yes given how overpowered most of these things are I'm fine with it working vs all of them.