NEWS

Achievements

• 32 Replies

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <04-08-11/1628:22> »
To me, all the crazy stuff that could be an "Achievement" already falls under the karma award "Cool Stuff PC Did To Impress The Hell Out Of Everyone."  Your players will likely pull stunts that you never thought of, and pigeon-holing the awards into specific actions/feats takes away the special surprise factor of pulling the crazy stunt in the first place.

I assumed that the "achievements" were in addition to those karma awards, not in place of them. I don't think there's any harm in giving the players suggestions for cool stunts and such. No pigeon-holes there.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <04-08-11/1936:16> »
It's a gift.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Codac

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <04-08-11/2028:09> »
This is an awesome Idea I may have to steal and/or recommend.

Just one thing is Nailin' Mr. Johnson meant to be taken literally or figuratively.
"You Metahumans and your emotions are quite inefficient." ~Codac

"I am the Matrix." ~Codac

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <04-08-11/2055:36> »
This is an awesome Idea I may have to steal and/or recommend.

Just one thing is Nailin' Mr. Johnson meant to be taken literally or figuratively.

I think you can unlock it both ways.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-09-11/0938:03> »
To me, all the crazy stuff that could be an "Achievement" already falls under the karma award "Cool Stuff PC Did To Impress The Hell Out Of Everyone."  Your players will likely pull stunts that you never thought of, and pigeon-holing the awards into specific actions/feats takes away the special surprise factor of pulling the crazy stunt in the first place.

I assumed that the "achievements" were in addition to those karma awards, not in place of them. I don't think there's any harm in giving the players suggestions for cool stunts and such. No pigeon-holes there.
There is no "in addition to" for karma.  Either you are awarded karma or you are not.  There is nothing wrong with giving a player some extra karma for cool stuff, above and beyond what the other players get, if they floored everyone with the coolness.  And, yes, it does pigeon-hole the players.  By specifying the exact circumstances those awards will take place, then the players will simply go out of their way to do those things...and get no feeling of accomplishment for coming up with something special, because it won't be special.

Sure, they get the karma or whatever as a bonus, but then they expected that payout, so how is it a "special award?"  They did nothing out of the ordinary to get it, since the GM put it in there for them to perform that specific act.  I think listing a few of those actions as examples of crazy stuff they can do could spur them on to think up things for themselves to earn, but making a specific list forces them into thinking of ways to do the list, not  to do something cool and interesting.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #20 on: <04-09-11/1225:15> »
I did something that should help with the problem - I've made a list of Achievements, and presented a select few to my players. The rest will be secret, and I'll just hand them a small Achievement card when they manage to 'unlock' it. And some of them unlock Reputation bonuses (I've balkanized the Street Cred into several Reputation factors), contacts, and such...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <04-09-11/1249:42> »
"Sweet!  I got the 'Derailed the Adventure' Achievement which nets me 10,000 nuyen!"  "Actually, that's a minus sign in front of the money."  "...  ...  ...  I don't have 10,000."  "Somebody owe's Bubba the Hut, the Loan Shark money!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #22 on: <04-09-11/1422:43> »
Yeah, those also. There's a 'got sooo high' type Achievement for popping drugs a lot that has a 'loose 1 Essence, gain Addiction' reward. ;P
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <04-09-11/1452:00> »
I like the idea and agree with giving a reward for doing something cool, and the karma system already has that built in. My concern with the achievement idea is that players will do outlandish things just to try and get the rewards. Even if they don't know what they are they may try to just "go over the top" with something to try and get an achievement even if they aren't sure there is one.

Just my two nuyen
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #24 on: <04-09-11/1637:07> »
Well, this might happen. But it will also support and enhance a more cinematic game style. I like the idea*, and it gives the players a bit more fun. And the GM too - he gets to come up with all those nifty Achievements. :)

* But I've already implemented the stunt bonuses from Exalted, so you can see this is 'my kind of game'.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <04-09-11/2021:49> »
I enjoy a good story, but I guess I'm not into that cinematic of a campaign. I like the realism of shadowrun and the fact that combat can and will be deadly. I like the team to have to think on their feet and a perfect adventure means they survived by the skin of their teeth especially if they at one point thought they wouldn't.

Everyone has their own style and preferences and I see nothing wrong with the achievements, but it doesn't look like my cup of tea.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #26 on: <04-09-11/2257:53> »
The problem I'd have with Xbox style Achievements in my games is this: while it's all fine and dandy to ignore the plot and go exploring Liberty City while playing Grand Theft Auto IV, it is not okay for a player to jump off of the Chicago Spire in the middle of Dusk because they want to get some extra karma. (Or worse, waking up a <bleeping> hive because they need the achievement.) It's great doing inane and crazy things in a video game where no one cares, and if you die you can load your old save game. Not so much in when it derails the plot and hoses your teammates during a game of Shadowrun.
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <04-10-11/0137:55> »
If you do play with it, is anyone forcing you to show the players the list of achievements, or even tell them about it before you hand them out?

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #28 on: <04-11-11/0143:05> »
I read the post and went back and forth on what would play better,  Achievements awards for the players or PCs for the actions in game.  Awards for the PCs would be for street cred or other rep modifiers.  Like Foresquare on a shadowboard or Denver Data Haven.  I can see that playing out kinda cool for the competetive running soul, maybe even bought as thrillseeker or rival disad component.  It would be hard to imagine it in a global context but could work fine in a localized tech happy area.  Awarding players would be fun as a extra bonus suprise to the end game.  Just wouldn't want the goal of the runs to rack up achievements for that sole purpose.  I like to keep that difference from the Role playing games and video games.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #29 on: <04-12-11/1442:35> »
I've been thinking on this -- specifically, the idea that placing achievements in a game encourages the players to do outlandish things, just to accumulate them. To combat this, I'd recommend making most of the achievements things in which the players themselves have little to no control. Make them situations that are a bit on the extreme end, but are purely limited to chance.

Things like getting eight net hits on an opposed test, or rolling a critical glitch.

If there are things that call on conscious decisions by the players, make them things they're liable to do anyway; for some, they'd be one-shots (like gaining a contact via roleplaying), or things that require a quantity (like the one about emptying five clips of ammo). With these, you're calling attention to specific actions that are noteworthy, but not looking for abnormal activities.

Be careful about listing achievements for bizarre actions. The BASE jumping one in particular strikes me as something asking for the PCs to start chasing after, even if doing so is inappropriate.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/