Shadowrun General > General Discussion

I am over tentacles...

(1/4) > >>

GBL:
... So whats the next best way to do lovecraftian otherworldly aliens so powerful that your mere presence near them is tolerated merely because you are so damn insignificant?

I want to start putting ideas together for a Shadowrun game to come a long way off. I am leaning towards Deep Crow or similar, but i get the feeling my players will just start talking Penny Arcade when that is brought up.

Last game i had put together a series of semi corproate runs that lead them to discover a Computer that had decided it was a Deep One and was able to gather a significant amount of power to accomplish similar tasks (mind controlled an army of technopaths and mages etc) It was able to strike at the players anywhere (Matrix, Magical and RL) which spooked them pretty mightily.

I think they want something in a similar vein to that. What would people recommend?

Mooncrow:
Possession, while hard to pull off well, has always been one of the most frightening things for my groups.  Especially when it starts happening to people near the players.

The_Gun_Nut:
If their presence is only tolerated because the players are insignificant, then why would they posess anyone?

Also, the Lovecraftian Horrors out there LOVE the people of Earth...as a snack.

GBL:

--- Quote from: Mooncrow on ---Possession, while hard to pull off well, has always been one of the most frightening things for my groups.  Especially when it starts happening to people near the players.

--- End quote ---

Possession could freak them out. Especially if i take the possessed outside of game mechanics. They can punch as many holes into it as they want, the animated remains just keep coming until the controlling influence decides to end it. I like that!

--- Quote from: The_Gun_Nut on ---If their presence is only tolerated because the players are insignificant, then why would they posess anyone?

--- End quote ---
It could be a seriously powerful enemy mage, or similar. Perhaps a devotee to the Old Ones. Something along those lines

--- Quote from: The_Gun_Nut on ---Also, the Lovecraftian Horrors out there LOVE the people of Earth...as a snack.

--- End quote ---
Heh, True.

The_Gun_Nut:
Anyone getting my ED reference?

Seriously, though, alien entities from beyond who simply don't care about human existence simply wouldn't bother showing up.  Because, really, why would they care?  If they are capable of being noticed, however, then they are capable of being interacted with.  That interaction might be hostile, especially since dragons don't like being ignored.

While I enjoy Lovecraft horror as much as the next guy, the fundamental flaw with it assumes that these entities don't care about human existence...and then go around manipulating humans and starting cults and stuff.  If you introduce baddies that are that cosmically powerful, then what's the point?  The players will never measure up.  There is already a game for that (Call of Cthulhu), and while it's fun, it's not a game I want to play all the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version