NEWS

Runner's Toolkit--pre-order now! PDF download now! And free PDF GM screen!

• 86 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #45 on: <03-05-11/1930:02> »
But does it work with NERPS™?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #47 on: <03-05-11/2010:52> »
NERPS™ makes everything better.

BTW, I have a running gag with my group.  They don't know what NERPS™ is.  Every time they hit the store, it's sold out.  I keep this up with one of the characters I write for.

Which, considering that we don't even know what NERPS™ is, makes perfect sense.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <03-06-11/1103:06> »
NERPS™ makes everything better.

BTW, I have a running gag with my group.  They don't know what NERPS™ is.  Every time they hit the store, it's sold out.  I keep this up with one of the characters I write for.

Which, considering that we don't even know what NERPS™ is, makes perfect sense.

Reminds me of the Run back in second edition to steal a NERPS truck...but, of course, they were one of two teams going after
two trucks...they got the Decoy...

Still, I must say, JH, the method for the Metatypes is cool. I admit, when I first saw it, I was a little confused on why Orks cost 0, until
I realized how the math was calculated. Of course, this also hearkens back to the old days of "Racial Modifiers" which really is good for
people coming from the OTHER game company...

Though, you know..I am surprised there is no "Basic Street Survival skills" pack of Etiquette, Perception, Con, Intimidation....I know
I have had people ask me "Why do I need Ettiquette?" Or "I'm not the face..why do I need Con?"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #49 on: <03-06-11/1215:49> »
Though, you know..I am surprised there is no "Basic Street Survival skills" pack of Etiquette, Perception, Con, Intimidation....I know
I have had people ask me "Why do I need Etiquette?" Or "I'm not the face..why do I need Con?"
Show them, in game, just how important they are.

Just have them meet a gang peacefully, and wait until they say the wrong thing.  Just one wrong thing that shows disrespect.  Even the most peaceful gang can't let something like that slide.  "How were you to know?  Well, that's where the Etiquette skill comes into play, oh, you don't have it, you don't know what will and won't piss them off!"

And for Con...  Well, just pull them over for a broken taillight by a traffic cop.  But don't tell them that's all it is, the cop won't until he has all the ID he wants, and checks over the interior of the car (Plain View Laws) to see if he can nail you for something better than just a ticket.  Make them sweat.  Have him ask questions.  Oh, no Con, they have to default or tell the truth.

Better hope that body in the trunk isn't start to smell.  Or kick if still alive.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #50 on: <03-06-11/1504:36> »
<snip>

I have had people ask me "Why do I need Ettiquette?" Or "I'm not the face..why do I need Con?"

Yeah, there are gaps to fill--and between things on this forum and future PDFs, we'll be looking at ways to fill them!

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

Malachi

• Freelancer
  • Newb
« Reply #51 on: <03-07-11/1424:35> »
You are charging them. That's why they only get 10 points back for losing 50 points worth of attributes.

PACKS costs are the same as normal character creation costs...
Excellent explanation Jason.  I knew some people would be wondering why the metatype costs were all different.  You explained it perfectly.

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #52 on: <04-01-11/1345:34> »
just some clarifation, in case I may been doing my PCs wrong the whole time....

I noticed in PACKS for the magic based characters that the cost of magic was figured in with the rest of the attributes. Now does that leave 30 or 40 points unspent on attributes I can now spend on Cha, Will, and such? Or have I been misreading the book the whole time, by not including the magic attribute cost when I am figuring how much I have spent on attributes?

that 200 will only go so far...
and if I have been doing i wrong, then so have bunch of other people.

on side note, I think trolls lose out with the negatives at times.  I was playing around with a troll tank brawler type concept using PACKS, and before I got to the skills  & equipment, he had a Cha 1, Int 1, & logic 1. that 10 point bonus doesn't help much there. I don't like playing characters hurting thart much in the mental department. he would be a mind mage wet dream: all that physical power & nothing mental defend it with. I could see a mage doing control & having the troll attack his teammates. Or a dwarf stare him down....

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #53 on: <04-01-11/1412:58> »
The mage, fine.  But someone like that would be too stupid to intimidate.  I've seen it far too often.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #54 on: <04-02-11/0653:58> »
just some clarifation, in case I may been doing my PCs wrong the whole time....

I noticed in PACKS for the magic based characters that the cost of magic was figured in with the rest of the attributes. Now does that leave 30 or 40 points unspent on attributes I can now spend on Cha, Will, and such? Or have I been misreading the book the whole time, by not including the magic attribute cost when I am figuring how much I have spent on attributes?

that 200 will only go so far...
and if I have been doing i wrong, then so have bunch of other people.
No, you have been correct.  The 200 bp (or rather, the "half your starting bp") rule is only for the core Physical/Mental stats.  The fact they lump in other stuff for PACKS is an abstraction and simplification, just for PACKS. 

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #55 on: <04-02-11/1712:06> »
cool, thanks
just making sure I didn't miss a rule change

seems to me a quick character can be written up with PACKS, ..whether it is one that will survive is the question

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #56 on: <04-04-11/2058:51> »
Quick question that got me confused.

I ordered the RT yesterday on Battleshop (here praying the overseas shipment goes well), but I tried checking it at work (bookstore with lots of international connections, including Baker & Taylor on US) and B&T said the book was "out of stock."

What is this, I don't even.
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #57 on: <04-04-11/2145:51> »

I ordered the RT yesterday on Battleshop (here praying the overseas shipment goes well), but I tried checking it at work (bookstore with lots of international connections, including Baker & Taylor on US) and B&T said the book was "out of stock."

The box set hasn't arrived from the printers yet, so no one has it in stock yet. It'll take a bit more time, but before too long we'll get it in stock for anyone who wants it. And of course, the Battleshop will get what it needs to fulfill pre-orders.

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #58 on: <04-04-11/2146:48> »

The box set hasn't arrived from the printers yet, so no one has it in stock yet. It'll take a bit more time, but before too long we'll get it in stock for anyone who wants it. And of course, the Battleshop will get what it needs to fulfill pre-orders.

Jason H.

Thank you very much, good sir.
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #59 on: <04-18-11/1528:53> »
We keep getting closer to the print release of Runner's Toolkit. The latest milestone is the arrival of a final version of the components and the box at the Catalyst offices, where Randall was kind enough to take some pictures. Those pictures are now up on the Shadowrun4. com blog. Enjoy!

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer