« Reply #62 on: <10-03-11/2117:33> »
I'm not a woman, back on topic.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #63 on: <10-04-11/0653:12> »
I know that's how they plan to do things in the ADF. And, so far, they are claiming that they won't lower the standards/requirements...

It said that they wouldn't lower the current requirements, but it didn't say that the current requirements aren't set by gender.   Was that discussed, whether it would be one standard for all applicants?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the fact that, for the US army, what passes as the lower end of a "good" score for a woman is a failing score for a man.  Double standards erode morale and endanger soldiers.  Either an applicant needs to be able run at least 2 miles in 15 minutes with full kit on, or they don't.  Genitalia just don't factor in to that.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #64 on: <10-04-11/0703:01> »
I know that's how they plan to do things in the ADF. And, so far, they are claiming that they won't lower the standards/requirements...

It said that they wouldn't lower the current requirements, but it didn't say that the current requirements aren't set by gender.   Was that discussed, whether it would be one standard for all applicants?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the fact that, for the US army, what passes as the lower end of a "good" score for a woman is a failing score for a man.  Double standards erode morale and endanger soldiers.  Either an applicant needs to be able run at least 2 miles in 15 minutes with full kit on, or they don't.  Genitalia just don't factor in to that.

The requirements are going to be the same for both genders, and they are going to be set at the current levels for men. That's the current information that I have. Given that they have 5 years to hash this out for the ADF, anything could happen. 5 years is a long time in politics (the federal government could change hands twice by then).

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #65 on: <10-04-11/0856:57> »
Having been an infantry soldier, seeing co-ed P.O.G. (prounounced, pough meaning Person Other than Grunt).  I don't see an issue.  My only exception is combat is physically taxing, the Male PT test should be the standard for combat troops, since the Female PT test is not as "tough".  Their scoring you get more points for less Push-ups, sit-ups, and longer times.  Either way, I don't see why they can't join.

Pretty much my thinking. I've known some WMs I'd much be on the pointy end of the stick with than the foxtrot uniforms I was occaisonally "gifted" with. And considering how SAWs have gotten lighter there isn't a role a woman can't perform equally to a man.

Just remember this one important fact though: WM PT test > Army male PT test ;)
« Last Edit: <10-04-11/0903:36> by Digital_Viking »
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."