NEWS

IT'S THE RECOMMEND A MOVIE THREAD

• 54 Replies

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <09-20-11/0245:20> »
For a Shadowrun setting (And really, just watch it for setting ideas, and not for good acting) I would actually recommend Johnny Mnemonic. Just remember, there is NO good acting in that movie. Wait, correction. Henry Rollins was the only good part, but he seemed crappy because of who he was surrounded by...

I just read Neuromancer by William Gibson who wrote the original short story for Johnny Mnemonic for once they did a good job adding stuff to the original story.  My favorite scene is the meltdown in the river.  Which isn't in the short story that was written.

Boondock Saints is a perfect movie for believable Gunslinger Adepts.

Idiocracy is an awesome film for how I truly see the world going.

Monster Squad and The Gate are Classic movies as well.

Scott Pilgrim is always good for a laugh.
Living the Electronic Dream

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #46 on: <09-20-11/1540:35> »
Scott Pilgrim and Percy Jackson & the Olympians are perfect Movies for Scion RPG

with a perfect Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #47 on: <09-20-11/1555:35> »

I just read Neuromancer by William Gibson who wrote the original short story for Johnny Mnemonic for once they did a good job adding stuff to the original story.  My favorite scene is the meltdown in the river.  Which isn't in the short story that was written.

Never...NEVER...mention the movie Johnny Mnemonic and the short story Johnny Mnemonic in the same breath.

Certainly not in a breath that has uttered the words "good job".

Heresy.

William Gibson is a genius. As is Neal Stephenson. I recommend Neuromancer, Burning Chrome, and Snow Crash as required reading for anyone who likes anything cyberpunk.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophsit

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <09-20-11/1603:36> »

Never...NEVER...mention the movie Johnny Mnemonic and the short story Johnny Mnemonic in the same breath.

Certainly not in a breath that has uttered the words "good job".

Heresy.

William Gibson is a genius. As is Neal Stephenson. I recommend Neuromancer, Burning Chrome, and Snow Crash as required reading for anyone who likes anything cyberpunk.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophsit

I saw the movie years ago.  It's one of the FEW good Keanu Reeves movies.  I just read the book.  I was surprised at how much was added to the story.  I thought it was a good job on the conversion.  It was a lot better than I Am Legend.  My biggest problem is that they changed Molly Millions out for Jane, but I understand the need to keep her out because of the possibility of doing a movie version of Neuromancer.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #49 on: <09-20-11/1723:10> »
I think that Gibson was actually involved in the adaptation. A lot of the stuff that was added was taken from other Gibson novels - Virtual Light was heavily cannibalized, for example.

I think the movie suffered from trying (understandably) to be topical and relevant to the time it was made and it's audience...I think it was misguided. I think choosing Johnny for a full length film was misguided.

*shrug*

Of course, I may be biased. Johnny Mnemonic is possibly my favorite short story of all time, and Gibson is my patron saint. The man has paradoxically inspired me to be a writer and caused me to despair of ever being worthy of being so. Heh.

Gibson can say more with less than anyone. Hemmingway? Pfah! Amateur.  ;)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <09-20-11/2008:37> »
That is one thing I do know, he was involved, that's why Molly got changed to Jane.  He was expecting to make more mone with a Neuromancer movie that was in talks with another movie studio.  I still love the Meltdown in the river.  I am a firm believer that Keanu Reeves can only play idiots or jackasses. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #51 on: <09-20-11/2011:47> »
Dirty Harry.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #52 on: <09-21-11/0050:44> »
Dirty Harry.

Anything with Clint Eastwood is normally pretty darn good!

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #53 on: <09-22-11/0716:39> »
They Call me Trinity
Trinity is Still My Name
Boot Hill

Three of the Best Spaghetti Westerns of all time.  Have used these movies for reference for so many gunslinger characters it's crazy.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #54 on: <09-22-11/0743:10> »
Just saw: London Boulevard...9/10...hate to say that, the final result of events is sad, but painfuilly true. Collin Farel acts well, as the other actors do. A few weaker scenes, but IMO good