NEWS

The Live Action Akira Remake

• 55 Replies

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #30 on: <04-18-11/0210:29> »
I know what Firefly is and I've seen part of the movie that was made on it, but I went years without any TV and only intermittent internet access so I know very little other than the bare basics of it.  One of these days I'll have to get around to giving it a shot.
Many moons ago, I had heard of Firefly, but never got around to watching it.

Some years later, a mate at work gave me a DVD of the full season, fairly threw it at my noggin, and with madness in his eyes, grabbed me by the shoulders saying 'You MUST watch this  :o!'... and still I never got around to it.

Some years later, on a $1 DVD coupon I borrowed Serenity from the local store, and the missus and I watched it early one Sunday night. And it was pretty good.
'Didn't they make a TV Series for this first?' she says
'Yeah, I've actually got it lying around somewhere' I reply and scrabble through my 'must file this someday' IT drawer. And we start watching the series.
at 2am, we decide we're both calling in sick on Monday, and finished watching the TV series. LOVED it. Many levels of awesome.
...then we slept.
At about midday, we get up, and figure some of it was worth watching again during the afternoon.
At around 1am, we decide we're calling in sick on Tuesday...

We got to our separate work offices on Wednesday, bleary-eyed but happy, and even several years later as we now are, Firefly quotes are part of everyday language in the household.
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #31 on: <04-18-11/1640:00> »
ATHF, Venture Bros, Metalocalypse, and Evil Dead quotes are part of my household.  ;D

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #32 on: <04-24-11/1000:04> »
Well, I've now watched Firefly all the way through.  It wasn't too bad.  It got a little cliche at times and I found some of the characters irritating, but in general I thought it was pretty good.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #33 on: <04-24-11/1018:51> »

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #34 on: <05-08-11/1957:11> »
can i change my vote?

seriously, when i saw the idea i was thinking, "Eh, that could be good, they did a decent enough job with "Blood, the last vampire" but if they're going for a PG-13 rating and using Justin bloody Timberlake, then we should burn it and scatter the ashes to the four corners of the world.

in our house its mostly lethal weapon, monty python and mel brooks quotes, except when a Steven Segal quote just works better.

"I missed, I never miss, they must be smaller than i thought."
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <05-08-11/2126:29> »
I try to hate Timberlake, and I will always hate his music, but everything I see him do away from the stage or recording studio makes it a little harder.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #36 on: <05-09-11/0648:15> »
Last Rumor has Keanu "i only have 2 facial expressions" Reeves as Kaneda.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <05-09-11/0724:58> »

I used to rip on Keanu too. They I discovered two things about him with regards to his work on The Replacements that made me change my mind. The stadium scenes were filmed at the stadium the Baltimore Ravens played at. Coaches and players were signed as extras to fill in the sidelines as you would expect to see at a football game. After filming was complete, the Ravens' QB coach pulled Keanu aside and offered him a slot at a try out camp. The coach felt Keanu had enough of what it took to give him a shot at being an NFL quarterback.

While that is cool, it's what he did earlier in the production that really impressed me. He was the first actor signed, and he was keeping tabs on the rest of the cast being assembled. The producer was grumbling at one point that they were having problems getting Gene Hackman signed. Keanu inquired as to the nature of the issue, it came down to money. Hackman's agent held firm at one number, the studio at another. There wasn't enough budget space to cover the difference and the studio made it clear they weren't going to up the budget. Keanu asked how large the gap was, was given the number, and said he needed to think about something. Came back with an offer to lower his salary if it would get Hackman's salary up.

Keep those in mind the next time you decide to pick on the guy who plays characters with limited emotional ranges, but mostly the second one.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #38 on: <05-09-11/0748:18> »

I used to rip on Keanu too. They I discovered two things about him with regards to his work on The Replacements that made me change my mind. The stadium scenes were filmed at the stadium the Baltimore Ravens played at. Coaches and players were signed as extras to fill in the sidelines as you would expect to see at a football game. After filming was complete, the Ravens' QB coach pulled Keanu aside and offered him a slot at a try out camp. The coach felt Keanu had enough of what it took to give him a shot at being an NFL quarterback.

While that is cool, it's what he did earlier in the production that really impressed me. He was the first actor signed, and he was keeping tabs on the rest of the cast being assembled. The producer was grumbling at one point that they were having problems getting Gene Hackman signed. Keanu inquired as to the nature of the issue, it came down to money. Hackman's agent held firm at one number, the studio at another. There wasn't enough budget space to cover the difference and the studio made it clear they weren't going to up the budget. Keanu asked how large the gap was, was given the number, and said he needed to think about something. Came back with an offer to lower his salary if it would get Hackman's salary up.

Keep those in mind the next time you decide to pick on the guy who plays characters with limited emotional ranges, but mostly the second one.
See, I can never hate on Keanu. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and B&T's Bogus Journey are key parts of my growing up.

SIxty-nine, Dude!

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <05-09-11/0928:25> »
See, I can never hate on Keanu. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and B&T's Bogus Journey are key parts of my growing up.[/quote]

"Put them in the iron maiden."
"Iron Maiden! Excellent!"
"Execute them."
"Bogus."
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

SirDelta

• Newb
« Reply #40 on: <06-13-11/2143:40> »
I thought he did a very good job in A Scanner Darkly.  I don't mind that he plays characters with very little emotion.  He could be playing them with too much emotion.  Now that is bad.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <06-14-11/0959:17> »
I thought he did a very good job in A Scanner Darkly.

The animation style for ASD was too distracting to me. I find it works best with those investing commercials and not for a whole movie. To this day I still couldn't tell you what it was about, aside from being a drug story.
Power corrupts.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #42 on: <06-14-11/1246:28> »
Isn't that the point of most drug movies?

Except for "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas"?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <06-14-11/2235:03> »
TETSUO!!!!!!!!!!!  I just don't think it will be the same if someone isn't yelling that! if its a bunch of crackas...... sigh....The Last Airbender.....what is wrong with hollywood.......

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #44 on: <06-14-11/2239:48> »
TETSUO!!!!!!!!!!!  I just don't think it will be the same if someone isn't yelling that! if its a bunch of crackas...... sigh....The Last Airbender.....what is wrong with hollywood.......
Well, it started in the late 1890s, early 1900s and has gotten worse from there.

Mainly, it's a bunch of artists and people that had to go to school to learn how to watch movies that run some parts, and meddling executives who don't have a clue who run the rest.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11