Shadowrun Missions Living Campaign > Living Campaign Discussion

Codes of Honor and SRM.

(1/17) > >>

Marcus:

So for variety of reason I'm very big on Codes of Honor.

They help give behavioral structure to characters.
They Mitigate the Murder Hobo issue.
They Give GM's a handle on the character.
They are Nice background piece and say a lot about a character.

So the big issue as has be said they are often non-functional in Missions Play, meaning that they become 15 freebie points.

So for a general solution I would purpose this:
For those that are currently band from Mission play, put them back in but at considerably reduced point value 5 or lower, whatever is felt to be worth while for those odd occasion they do come up.

We will have Hooding released sometime, and that will of course increase interest in Codes. Doing this now will save having to the jump though the same hoops when the book is released.

Thoughts, Concerns? Agree, Disagree?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Well being a negative quality that doesn't in practice negatively impact your character IS kind of a big deal.

For argument's sake, what's wrong with just saying your character acts in accordance with a given Code of Honor for purely roleplaying reasons as opposed to getting an adjusted X Karma points in the SRM format?  You'd still get the same benefits you listed without needing to try to codify any SRM specific rules for those qualities..

Marcus:

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---Well being a negative quality that doesn't in practice negatively impact your character IS kind of a big deal.

For argument's sake, what's wrong with just saying your character acts in accordance with a given Code of Honor for purely roleplaying reasons as opposed to getting an adjusted X Karma points in the SRM format?  You'd still get the same benefits you listed without needing to try to codify any SRM specific rules for those qualities..

--- End quote ---

Something that's on character sheet is more meaningful. At the 5 or lower point level, we have something effectively the same as Allergies, something we all know, regularly never see activation in most missions play, or prejudice, another 5 pointer that almost never sees activation in play. Better to have something like Code that can help a GM stear a PC with then another allergy to bees.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Well you have hit upon a point I think is kind of profound, even if it's not your intended point.  That being how easy it is to get away with free Karma on negative qualities that never trigger.  I'm not sure I'm prepared to agree that adding more is an improvement.. but that's not the discussion you're looking to have.

I'm going to sit and think on realizing that I've run oh about a dozen SRM tables now and I couldn't tell you a single one of any of all those characters' negative qualities. So clearly I haven't done my job of making sure the players get their Karma's worth of trouble from having them.

Nor do my negative qualities ever seem to come up either.  I'm thinking I need to seriously reconsider the importance of a pre-start "getting to know your PC" inspection of a character sheet.  Hell that's where a GM would be identifying "Hell no you can't play at my table with the Panzer your last GM signed off on for some reason" issues after all.

Marcus:
We all know the Steve Long Quote.

I'm perfectly fine to have that conversation, it's really at the heart of this topic. I've also runs a good number of missions, and I other then bees one which was particularly memorable b/c the American Honey bee is extinct according the fluff. I don't really recall any flaws ether. So I'm just saying we need to find means to help address that. I think Codes are way to do it. I'm perfectly willing to admit I'm biased, but at the same time, that doesn't necessarily make me wrong.

What I'm trying to say is, Codes atlesat give a broader set of conditions then a binary reality of an allergy or Prejudice.

Code of Elven Chivalry- fights happen in public a lot, a ganger could easily grab beautiful passer by and trigger that code. Yes it does require action on the GM's part, but it's easier and flows more naturally then some magically escaped bees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version