NEWS

Who needs a 'Crash' when ya got a courtroom of lawyers.

• 17 Replies

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« on: <01-25-14/0300:05> »
Heard Net Neutrality is past and the cable/telephone companies are moving like sharks in bloody water.  Who here is looking forward to paying monthly fees just to get on specific web-sites?  You know this one may be allowed, (though you'll be paying a 'modest' toll to get on it), but Dumpshock.com will disappear since that's a fan website, not a corporate one.
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-25-14/0317:05> »
Considering you already have to pay a monthly fee for internet access and many webpages already charge you a fee, I think you are a little bit behind the times :p

Or are you referring to something else? (A link would be good)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-25-14/0334:44> »
Considering you already have to pay a monthly fee for internet access and many webpages already charge you a fee, I think you are a little bit behind the times :p

Or are you referring to something else? (A link would be good)

Basically, in net neutrality, it does not matter what the data is - the ISP cannot charge more per gig for Data A than Data B; without net neutrality, this is not true.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-25-14/0347:32> »
Did a little reading.... and it sounds like those of you in the states could get boned.

Interestingly enough, it only seems to be the states. The EU and Canada have had a regulatory compliance system for ISPs for years (the CRTC in canada) and they have come down hard on the few companies that thought they could block service to competative sites, or even throttle connection speeds for some activities. (Rogers Communications was hit with a huge fine gor throttling connection speeds of online gamers. Bell was issued notice to terminate its throttling of streaming media)

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-25-14/0401:08> »
And the US has the FCC.  There were rules for this in the US, as I understand it, and the US ISPs have been working for years to get them changed.  Those of us outside the US need to keep alert on this.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <01-25-14/0403:02> »
In addition, the service doesn't have to improve at all for higher fees.  And, considering the quality of the service in the US/Canada right now...   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #6 on: <01-25-14/0403:59> »

Did a little reading.... and it sounds like those of you in the states could get boned.

Interestingly enough, it only seems to be the states. The EU and Canada have had a regulatory compliance system for ISPs for years (the CRTC in canada) and they have come down hard on the few companies that thought they could block service to competative sites, or even throttle connection speeds for some activities. (Rogers Communications was hit with a huge fine gor throttling connection speeds of online gamers. Bell was issued notice to terminate its throttling of streaming media)

When has U.S. companies or it's government really cared about what or how the rest of the world did things?  Not when money can be made! ;D
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-25-14/0408:31> »
In addition, the service doesn't have to improve at all for higher fees.  And, considering the quality of the service in the US/Canada right now...   :'(

Basically, US carriers now get to charge more money, and double dip on charges (even charging providers who aren't even their customers), and otherwise extort people for a crapton more money without ever actually having to do anything to earn that money.

When has U.S. companies or it's government really cared about what or how the rest of the world did things?  Not when money can be made! ;D

Not related the point, really.  He's saying the problem only exists inside the US, or for providers delivering content into the US (wonder if this could run afoul of things like NAFTA...).
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-25-14/0427:10> »

Basically, US carriers now get to charge more money, and double dip on charges (even charging providers who aren't even their customers), and otherwise extort people for a crapton more money without ever actually having to do anything to earn that money.

Not related the point, really.  He's saying the problem only exists inside the US, or for providers delivering content into the US (wonder if this could run afoul of things like NAFTA...).

that's a good question....

and the other issues the US companies are going to have to work out is how they are going to charge when they only own between 5-405 of the total signal route to your home ("last leg" as it's called). if your signal from a website in say the EU is only traveling 5% of the way on "Greedzpocketz IP", how can they say you are hogging bandwidth and thus expect to charge you more?

how are they going to attempt to charge foreign users of sites in the US? After all, they show up with a bill to my door in Canada, I would laugh at them and tell them to file suit in a BC court and PROVE that I owe them money......

on a different note, with out looking into it, there are very few US ISP operating in Canada anymore, as they could not compete (HAHAH!!!! read: make the money they wanted, due to actually having to provide a SERVICE!) so they left. I think the last hold out was Comcast and they folded a few years ago as the courts upheld a client's right to refuse to pay due to crappy service provided. (could be wrong)

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-25-14/0444:21> »
on a different note, with out looking into it, there are very few US ISP operating in Canada anymore, as they could not compete (HAHAH!!!! read: make the money they wanted, due to actually having to provide a SERVICE!) so they left. I think the last hold out was Comcast and they folded a few years ago as the courts upheld a client's right to refuse to pay due to crappy service provided. (could be wrong)

There aren't enough ISPs up here in general - need some competition.  Alberta's basically just got two, and they don't do much of anything to develop service quality.

I am curious to see what will happen when US carriers come up here, given the CRTC's rule changes...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <01-25-14/0615:03> »
The Netherlands already has Net Neutrality. A phone company was talking about wanting to restrict an app that rivals with their own SMS services, and the politicians immediately began pushing through a net neutrality law. The only reason it still took nearly a year to fully approve was that a christian party slipped in an amendment that took time to get rid of.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Pixelmancer

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-15-14/2135:26> »
That's what happens when you legalize bribery. Blame citizens united.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-15-14/2230:12> »
That's what happens when you legalize bribery. Blame citizens united.

Now if you want a grand demonstration of irony look no further than that name...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #13 on: <02-15-14/2309:21> »
Remind me again how Shadowrun is supposed to be darker than reality?   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-16-14/1135:42> »
Remind me again how Shadowrun is supposed to be darker than reality?   :'(

in shadowrun, after I shoot you dead, I can charge your wife for the cost of the bullets I used to kill you. After all, you stole the lead and didn't give it back!

:P