NEWS

Tracking players & characters?

• 5 Replies

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« on: <04-01-13/0944:22> »
I'm gearing up to begin running missions at my FLGS in a few weeks (and am applying to the CDT). My plan is to run every two weeks, with some form of "Welcome to the Sixth World" runs for complete rookies on the alternate weeks. Since I expect to have a lot of repeat players & characters, I'm curious about what other GMs have done as far as tracking what missions various players have run, and which ones their characters have run. Do you let players play in the same mission with different characters? I've seen the tracking sheet, but do you then tabulate these somehow?
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #1 on: <04-01-13/1223:57> »
The only restriction is that a character can't play the same mission twice.  A player could play the same mission three times with three different characters, though.  It takes a bit of the surprise out of it, unless you have the time as a GM to work in little surprises, so those players should avoid using their player knowledge to spoil the run for those who haven't played it.  Sadly, the Welcome events don't have logs or guidelines for tracking a character into the Missions campaign, so they can't take any Welcome rewards (whether karma, nuyen, or other) and remain Missions-legal.  (I've thought a half-mission worth of rewards might be appropriate, given there's usually about a half-session of play.)

If you're expecting a lot of repeat players/characters, you could put together a Google spreadsheet to track what characters have played what missions.  That works reasonably well with my group, as long as players are conscientious about inputting (or letting you know) when they've done a mission (or if your table is the only one they're playing at).  Our team tracker just has a column for each character (under the player's name), a row for each mission, and an X if they've done it and a N/A if they won't or can't play that mission for some reason.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-05-13/0941:55> »

We have used the Google docs to let the players fill in what they have played and what ones they want to still play for those that missed regular game nights.  Because we have a few FLGS and some of the players bounce between them we made an area Facebook group as well to help communicate with one another and post events on top of the CDT site its a little extra work on the GM side but its worth it to make sure the players can find the events they are looking for and a great way to get fresh blood. 
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-13-13/1335:24> »
Sadly, the Welcome events don't have logs or guidelines for tracking a character into the Missions campaign, so they can't take any Welcome rewards (whether karma, nuyen, or other) and remain Missions-legal.
Not true, actually. There are debriefing logs for WttSW events.
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #4 on: <12-13-13/2018:59> »
Sadly, the Welcome events don't have logs or guidelines for tracking a character into the Missions campaign, so they can't take any Welcome rewards (whether karma, nuyen, or other) and remain Missions-legal.
Not true, actually. There are debriefing logs for WttSW events.

Yes, now.  When I wrote this response in April, there were not.  This is a new development for Season 5.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

biotech66

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-03-14/1027:07> »
I tend to leave that up the the players themselves.  I post the mission I'm running for the games about a month ahead of time.  They know they can't get rewards for rerunning a mission.  Heck that's true for any living game.  If they show up and they've already played I give them a pregen or the character generation sheet and 5 minutes.
Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral