NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #315 on: <01-20-14/1915:49> »
So, what's the general consensus about Sybil?

Does the virus overwrite the PC's personality in the "Real World", or only while in the Matrix, and if so, how long does the virus last?

Is there a way to purge the virus once it has been contracted?

We do know from Storm Front that it is DEFINITELY in meatspace, rather than isolated to the Matrix.  No room for argument on that one.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #316 on: <01-21-14/0427:02> »
Looking back at both the original writing, and the speculation that's gone on . . .

I think I agree with the theory that there is an Agenda/Goal that these Fragmented are pursuing. I also have the feeling that the people who have exhibited these tendencies are not part of the Agenda/Goal - that they are stepping stones. I . . . think . . . that the secondary personalities will, for the most part, leave their 'hosts' if possible, further down the track as the plot/story is developed. People - even augmented ones - don't seem to be the preferred containers for these personalities.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #317 on: <01-21-14/0525:00> »
Would you explain your reasoning?  I have seen no evidence of an agenda or goal; I also see no likelihood of 'abandonment' of the host bodies.  In fact, I foresee them wanting to remove themselves, and discovering that they cannot do so ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #318 on: <01-21-14/0939:49> »
I'm wondering now if Sybil is a response by the Dissonance Realms to the restructuring of the Matrix that the Megas enacted?
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #319 on: <01-21-14/0952:35> »
Would you explain your reasoning?  I have seen no evidence of an agenda or goal; I also see no likelihood of 'abandonment' of the host bodies.  In fact, I foresee them wanting to remove themselves, and discovering that they cannot do so ...

For me, the agenda/goal concept primarily comes from Miles Lanier's briefing - particularly the part about hacking into NeoNET and sending the memo to those recipients (Abigail James, Nightengale’s Clinics; Finion Elparanza, Dorada Genetech; Aston Faust, Pioneer Cybernetics; John Bogden, MindStorm Neurotechnologies; Teng Suzhou, Suzhou Biotechnology) - quite possibly fellow Fragmented/Inhabited. Also the account of those three people at the NYE party, and SEARCH's demands on FastJack(SR). Trying to get all Fragmented/Inhabited to get the same augmentations suggests they're shooting for something specific, yet to be revealed - but they don't get biology (yet). They don't get that the people they're in aren't the same as them. SEARCH taunted Fastjack about not "getting attached to this shell" - to me this implies SEARCH thinks FJ is another Fragmented/Inhabited who happened to get in first, and SEARCH has no problem about evicting him, provided the nanohive and genewipe are in place. Another point of interest is why SEARCH didn't contact MindStorm during one of the blackouts FJ had . . . correction: SEARCH did try to access MindStorm, presumably to arrange to get those augmentations.

I don't agree with the theory that Danielle de la Mar and her backers knew about all this and designed the new [SR5] Matrix to work against these entities. De la Mar just comes across as incredibly "I know what's best for the world, so you should all do what I say" - annoying, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou - but she really believes the line she's pushing/selling.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #320 on: <01-21-14/0954:40> »
I'm wondering now if Sybil is a response by the Dissonance Realms to the restructuring of the Matrix that the Megas enacted?
It's not. Splintered State supports my suspicions that NeoNet has meddled with e-ghosts too much and caused Sybil.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #321 on: <01-21-14/1038:25> »
As for Danielle De La Mar, I really think she resembles Harvey Dent a lot...before his fall, that is.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #322 on: <01-21-14/1443:07> »

For me, the agenda/goal concept primarily comes from Miles Lanier's briefing - particularly the part about hacking into NeoNET and sending the memo to those recipients (Abigail James, Nightengale’s Clinics; Finion Elparanza, Dorada Genetech; Aston Faust, Pioneer Cybernetics; John Bogden, MindStorm Neurotechnologies; Teng Suzhou, Suzhou Biotechnology) - quite possibly fellow Fragmented/Inhabited. Also the account of those three people at the NYE party, and SEARCH's demands on FastJack(SR). Trying to get all Fragmented/Inhabited to get the same augmentations suggests they're shooting for something specific, yet to be revealed - but they don't get biology (yet). They don't get that the people they're in aren't the same as them. SEARCH taunted Fastjack about not "getting attached to this shell" - to me this implies SEARCH thinks FJ is another Fragmented/Inhabited who happened to get in first, and SEARCH has no problem about evicting him, provided the nanohive and genewipe are in place. Another point of interest is why SEARCH didn't contact MindStorm during one of the blackouts FJ had . . . correction: SEARCH did try to access MindStorm, presumably to arrange to get those augmentations.

I don't agree with the theory that Danielle de la Mar and her backers knew about all this and designed the new [SR5] Matrix to work against these entities. De la Mar just comes across as incredibly "I know what's best for the world, so you should all do what I say" - annoying, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou - but she really believes the line she's pushing/selling.

Keep in mind, I don't have Storm Front nor Splintered State and have no clue as to whom Danielle de la Mar is or for which Mega she works for, but she sounds like someone suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder with a megalomaniacal streak as long as the Nile River (heh, heh, heh).
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #323 on: <01-21-14/1617:08> »
IIRC, doesn't Danielle de la Mar work directly for the Corporate Court?  I was under the impression she spent a lot of time in Zurich-Orbital too.  That kind of thing might either give someone a god complex, or be the result of someone with one.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #324 on: <01-21-14/1744:37> »
well se was ddicated crusader, that is true, butI wnt blame her for that...IDN if she has any personal history with Matrix crime. And she was able to convience that Dodger to cooperate with her, you know...

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #325 on: <01-21-14/2133:59> »
She never worked for any of the megacorps - apparently she never needed to work in her life. "Reforming" the Matrix is all her own idea - just ask her. There was some speculation it was sparked by her former husband's ONLINE affair with a younger woman.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #326 on: <01-25-14/2202:54> »
Anything new regarding FastJack?
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #327 on: <01-26-14/0408:41> »
Buy StormFront and you can read all about FastJack.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #328 on: <01-26-14/0501:01> »
Buy StormFront and you can read all about FastJack.

Imo he has something NEW on his mind...Stormfront is pretty old news, if you ask me...

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #329 on: <01-26-14/0541:20> »
Way I understand it, FastJack is more or less written out for now - AKA, don't be expecting updates on him all that soon.  The end of Storm Front is kinda a goodbye to the character.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites