NEWS

Shadowrun 5 Preview #4

• 69 Replies

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« on: <06-11-13/1613:44> »
Parts of the combat chapter and a gunslinger adept.

I'll just leave that here.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/115537/Shadowrun%2C-Fifth-Edition-Preview-%234?filters=0_0_1700_0_0_0
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
http://bannockburn1981.deviantart.com/

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-11-13/1701:57> »
Indeed...just noticed that as well. Thanks

Edit - quite like the art for the gunslinger adept ;D
« Last Edit: <06-11-13/1707:58> by AJCarrington »

VajraSupremus

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <06-11-13/1759:16> »
This answered my queries about how Armor was changed. I wonder why they decided to just lump Ballistic and Impact into just Armor?
Also, the Gunslinger is gawjus.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-11-13/1815:23> »
My guess: To cut off the constant munchkining of the two that people kept doing, and to keep things simple and easy to get into.

Trolls are slow? That's weird. Movement is much nicer now, by the way. No complicated splitting over Passes, you got a Walk allotment, a Running allotment and can generate a Sprinting allotment. On top of that, Running now has more value because it determines how many IPs you can Sprint.

I'm confused by the whole "can't do another attack action" rule. Does that mean Singleshot weapons are limited to once per Combat Turn while Semi-Automatic can fire once per Action Phase?

Meanwhile, Complex Action FA/Burst Fire indeed accumulates recoil over multiple IPs, as someone reported before from PAX East. On top of that, you can use them as Simple Action to basically do the Short/Long Burst effects from SR4. Since you can't fire them a second time that Action Phase, no cumulative recoil.

I'm not gonna draw the other conclusions here yet, but it seems like they brought everyone except Magicians back to 1 attack per IP, while a Magician will find it to hurt like hell to do 2 attacks, what with Force as Drain base value and +3 Drain for Reckless Spellcasting. (This is based on other information, not Preview #4)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Aaron

« Reply #4 on: <06-11-13/1827:29> »
Magicians don't have to cast twice when using reckless spellcasting. My personal favorite combo is reckless cast, get the hell outta Dodge.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <06-11-13/1839:58> »
They don't have to, Aaron, but they appear to be the only ones capable of doing 2 attacks per Initiative Pass.

Also, just noticed something: Skill Group 5 at chargen. Wowzers.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Justice

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-11-13/1912:56> »
Love the troll pic in the package. Thumbs up to the artist.

Warmachinez

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <06-11-13/2047:57> »
Interrupt actions... Very interesting. I wonder how much they will affect the game?
Chaos? Lack of protection? Enemies lurking in the shadows? Sounds
to me like the fun’s just beginning. Sorry you’ll miss it, omae.
> Kane

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-11-13/2058:47> »
Liking the change to bows, and the reckless spellcasting option.

Really like the Interrupt actions as a system. Given that the Dodge action uses Gymnastics it seems like the Dodge skill has gone the way of the dodo, which is probably good. The change to full defense is interesting, I think I like it.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-11-13/2105:02> »

Really like the Interrupt actions as a system. Given that the Dodge action uses Gymnastics it seems like the Dodge skill has gone the way of the dodo, which is probably good. The change to full defense is interesting, I think I like it.

Interesting yeah, but I suspect that a lot of the munchkins optimizers on the forums will be telling people to stack Initiative to hell and back and Full Defense every Turn.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Warmachinez

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <06-11-13/2105:21> »
Dodge skill has gone the way of the dodo, which is probably good. The change to full defense is interesting, I think I like it.

1 less skill to spend points on... Perfect  8).

This part is also funny: P.169 'too much can make Joe Shadowrunner
look like the SoyPuff Marshmallow Man'
> Kane

Warmachinez

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <06-11-13/2110:45> »

Interesting yeah, but I suspect that a lot of the munchkins optimizers on the forums will be telling people to stack Initiative to hell and back and Full Defense every Turn.

You still need alot of willpower for this to be effective though. Also if i paid to get extra inittiative why would i not get that advantage?
> Kane

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <06-11-13/2115:33> »

You still need alot of willpower for this to be effective though. Also if i paid to get extra inittiative why would i not get that advantage?

Just seems like a potential bit of cheese. For the most part it won't be that big a deal, but with some I can see a few problems arising.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <06-11-13/2223:02> »
They don't have to, Aaron, but they appear to be the only ones capable of doing 2 attacks per Initiative Pass.

Yah, that seems off to me.  I can fire once and get another simple action but I can't use it to fire again? What is the difference in SS and SA then?  And 2 spells is okay when 2 pistol shots isn't? Don't get me wrong without knowing the extra drain of reckelss and base drain of spell casting reckless casting might be kind of rare. But it seems weird I can throw 2 fireballs but not pull the trigger twice.

While the pic is good I am kind of disapointed with the adept in that it looks like none of the powers he has that are 4e powers have a different PP cost than 4e.  If that stays the same I'll be irritated that adept focuses are really a patch for the core problem of the damn powers costing too much.  Fix he core issure instead of narowing the style of adept into tatooed focus adicts.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <06-11-13/2315:33> »

Yah, that seems off to me.  I can fire once and get another simple action but I can't use it to fire again? What is the difference in SS and SA then?  And 2 spells is okay when 2 pistol shots isn't? Don't get me wrong without knowing the extra drain of reckelss and base drain of spell casting reckless casting might be kind of rare. But it seems weird I can throw 2 fireballs but not pull the trigger twice.

While the pic is good I am kind of disapointed with the adept in that it looks like none of the powers he has that are 4e powers have a different PP cost than 4e.  If that stays the same I'll be irritated that adept focuses are really a patch for the core problem of the damn powers costing too much.  Fix he core issure instead of narowing the style of adept into tatooed focus adicts.

As far as I can tell the only way to make multiple attacks in a single action phase is with the Multiple Attacks free action modifier which requires die splitting. The only thing that seems unclear is whether Quickdraw is an "attack action."