NEWS

[5e OOC] And The Rain Keeps Falling

• 575 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #210 on: <08-31-16/1109:41> »
Yes, Chaim did kind of ask her out, or at least, he made that impression.

And yes, let's see what's in the data packet from Dr. Nelson.  Looking forward to this.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #211 on: <08-31-16/1712:26> »
i'm just looking forward to our shooting our way out as they try to subdue us to be the next batch of test subjects. that ooo and in
You are not what you think you are. you are an imitation of what your wish you were

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #212 on: <08-31-16/1719:55> »
Don't worry, they aren't looking at you like test subjects, you haven't set off any alarms, and are free to leave. I would suggest seeing what Dr. Nelson gave you, and then working out an assault plan. Or sneaky plan, your choice once you see his data.

As for maglocks, you can try to imitate the voice, I'll call it a disguise roll? Unless you can think of a better test for it. You'd roll against it's rating to see if you can bypass that part of the lock, it you can try to disable it with a locksmith and electronics test, or a direct connection through matrix action to essentially brick the lock then manually break it.

Astral is out, as there are too many astral barriers in the walls. Could try a micro drone if you know where you're going.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #213 on: <08-31-16/1818:41> »
As for maglocks, you can try to imitate the voice, I'll call it a disguise roll? Unless you can think of a better test for it. You'd roll against it's rating to see if you can bypass that part of the lock, it you can try to disable it with a locksmith and electronics test, or a direct connection through matrix action to essentially brick the lock then manually break it.

Impersonation would be the roll.  From the CRB: "Impersonation can be used to improve a disguise, or it can stand alone. A character in disguise can roll their Impersonation + Charisma [Social] and add the number of hits to the threshold for breaking the disguise. If Impersonation is being used without the benefit of a disguise (such as when vocally imitating someone), treat it as standard Opposed Test." page 136.

I'm not sure what the opposing pool is, but my guess is Device Rating X 2.  @Herr, @Tec, you two care to weigh in?

Can we assume that they've quit the hospital and are back at the safehouse pouring over Dr. Nelson's file, or would you like an IC post getting us out?  My guess is that Pale Horse has the best REA, but we should probably rely on autopilot and it may be wise to also tool around a little bit and keep watch for tails before heading back "home."  I'll toss in a Perception test, just in case.  I have: INT (4) + Perception (5) + Visual Spec (2) + Vision Enhancement (1) + Specifically Looking (3) = 15 dice.
Perception + Specifically Looking + Visual: 15d6t5 4
Not bad, but if anyone has a higher skill rating and would like to treat it as a Teamwork test, feel free.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #214 on: <08-31-16/1819:21> »
I say we nuc the site from orbit; just to be safe
You are not what you think you are. you are an imitation of what your wish you were

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #215 on: <08-31-16/1827:44> »
I got 9 for ground vehicle and 19 for perception (21 if it classes as searching)

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #216 on: <08-31-16/2046:18> »
Ah, yes, impersonation will fit perfectly! That's the one I was looking for.

I will post an update for the team back at the safe house going over the doctor's data.

I do need a perception test, can be team worked, and if anyone has extras for pattern recognition, be sure to include the bonus.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #217 on: <09-01-16/0121:17> »
I count 17 dice for Pale Horse (including gear) but Gwilym might have dice I don't know about.

Ichante visual perception: Intuition 4 (8) + Perception 3 + Perceptive 1 + Visual Spec 2 + Visual Enhancement 3: 17d6t5 8 hits, yee haw

I'll try to get an IC up on Thursday that covers some of what Ichante did in the hospital. Namely, staying silent and then going on a brief astral tour while the lights were low.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #218 on: <09-02-16/1545:35> »
I'm not sure what the opposing pool is, but my guess is Device Rating X 2.  @Herr, @Tec, you two care to weigh in?
This is actually covered by the core rules for once:
Quote from: SR5 page 360
Voice recognition systems require a vocal response from an approved user’s voice, usually within a certain amount of time. If the response is not given within the time limit, or someone not approved answers, the system sounds an alarm. Characters can only defeat voice recognition systems by “speaking” with the voice of an approved user—by using a recording, some other simulation, or the real voice. Voice modulator cyberware (see p. 452) can also be used. An Opposed Test must be made between the voice recognition system and the equipment used to bypass it; whichever generates more hits, wins.

Unusually, this is generally just an opposed test between the Device Rating, not Device Rating x 2. As per Print Scanners:
"If a fake print is used, make an Opposed Test between the duplicate and the maglock rating; if the fake wins, the maglock accepts it."

And facial recognition:
"Prosthetic makeup and biosculpting can be used with varying degrees of effectiveness against facial recognition; make an Opposed Test pitting Disguise + Intuition [Mental] against the Device rating."

Device Rating x 2 is mostly used for SIN scanners, but rarely for other security devices. However, I think this is mostly because when "equipment" is referenced it's usually in the form of Maglock Sequencers or Voice Modulators and the like, all of which have similar 1 to 6 ratings. Using the default RAW of Device Rating as the opposed pool does make it relatively easy for a social engineer of Chaim's talents to fool a voice print scanner, as even a Rating 6 device is highly unlikely to beat his 16+ dice pool (of course, a GM could easily rule that tailored pheromones do not apply ;) ).

I'd be tempted to use RAW in this case, but that's mostly because I usually play in low-powered campaigns. I'd also be OK with device rating x 2 as the opposed pool since Chaim would be using his real voice and thus his skills, and not a recording where that device rating would be pitched against the maglock rating, but I'll leave the final decision up to the GM.
« Last Edit: <09-02-16/1548:10> by Herr Brackhaus »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #219 on: <09-02-16/1755:50> »
The rules are unclear and somewhat inconsistent between books.

The voice modulator (cyberware, SR5, p. 452) adds its rating to Impersonation tests.

The vocal range extender (bioware, Chrome Flesh, p. 115) "allows for attempts to fool voice recognition systems or to imitate animal or artificial noises. Use an Opposed Impersonation + Charisma Test against the biometric system’s Rating for the former, or against an NPC’s Perception + Intuition for the latter."

The vocal range extender doesn't have a rating nor does it add any dice to an impersonation test; it just allows for the possibility of defeating voice recognition systems. The implication is that doing so is not possible without some sort of 'ware, which might be harsh or realistic or both.

If I were GMing, I might split the difference and allow for a straight Opposed test between Impersonation only (attacker) and Device Rating (defender), the logic being that the device doesn't care how charismatic you are (unless you have 'ware, in which case you're partly a device yourself and can then use all of your personal Charisma to sweet talk the maglock). That would give a skilled ware-less impersonator like Chaim a reasonable chance to defeat a good maglock, but means that a good maglock wouldn't be susceptible to some high school thespian that wanders by.

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #220 on: <09-02-16/1824:05> »
Since there is some ambiguity about how the device will resist the womanly wiles of Chaim, I'll just rule it as Chaim's Impersonation skill vs the device rating, which will likely come up later. If some point comes up, like Chaim gaining a voice recording of the tour guide, or if the maglock can be "distracted" by a matrix attack, then we'll compensate as necessary.

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #221 on: <09-06-16/0738:11> »
Hmm... Did we lose Pixel again?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #222 on: <09-06-16/0807:58> »
Hmm... Did we lose Pixel again?
Unknown. Do you want me to roll for Pixel? I can probably approximate what the Decker would do without roleplaying it too much, anyway.

That being said, as a player I'm not really sure how to proceed. rednblack or Techumseh; you want to throw up an IC getting back to the hideout? The way I see it it doesn't seem like the sewers are a good infiltration route, and while we could get in with Chaim's excellent charms that might be risky too. We've got guards we can impersonate, though, and a rooftop access we can use, but aren't we missing some crucial information in terms of how we get to what we need? I guess that's what Pixel is trying to decrypt at the moment?

Also, how is IC running on a datachip? IC is host specific, as per page 247:
Intrusion countermeasures, or IC (pronounced “ice”), is a type of program that runs in hosts.

I've no issue with you running IC on a chip, but I just need to know how to relate to that from a rules perspective as that's not covered under RAW. If Pixel recognizes the IC as any form of psychotropic she'd probably just yank the chip out of her deck, otherwise she might try to squash it.
« Last Edit: <09-06-16/0818:10> by Herr Brackhaus »

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #223 on: <09-06-16/0921:46> »
I was actually thinking I'd just modify the post, cause running IC on a data chip didn't really seem right. I was going to go with some kind of matrix connection called forth by the chip and that would host the IC, but seems overly complicated, and brings about a while other set of problems with tracing to Pixel's deck.

Also, the chip's info should clear up quite a bit of that indecision, and give you guys a solid way ahead. I'll modify and probably create a second post purely with the chip info tonight or early tomorrow.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #224 on: <09-06-16/0937:21> »
Cool. The chip could have a hidden file (which she'd have to find or search for, Matrix Perception or Matrix Search), that file could be protected and/or data bombed which she'd have to then deal with, or the file could contain some sort of hidden malware that's entirely GM constructed and that runs like an Agent program.

Let me know if you want some rolls. With her default loadout and in Hot-Sim VR, she rolls 13 dice on both Matrix Perception and Matrix Search. She rolls 16 dice on Hack on the Fly to MARK something, and her Crack File and Disarm Data Bomb pools are 12 and 11 respectively, with a limit of 5+ (highest ASDF score is 6, which can be boosted with various programs).