NEWS

Alamos 20K

• 72 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <04-15-11/1255:03> »
Drop Bears might work, too, wouldn't they?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <04-15-11/1257:33> »
Kinda... but you'd definitely get a reaction out of bug spirits.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-15-11/1320:13> »
Not especially, they are a bit more niche than bug spirits.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #18 on: <04-15-11/1955:32> »
Drop bears would work on Dumpshockers and to a lesser extent people on this site. It is unlikely they have seen the holy scriptures.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-15-11/2247:10> »
It's just fun to play "spot the veteran SR player" by gauging how much they shudder, shiver, or flinch whenever you mention any sort of insect, that's all.   ;D

Frag, I have a bottle of "Bug City" sitting on my refrigerator that a fellow gamer got me back in '98 after the pain and suffering I imposed upon him and his fellow players.

I scream "Insect Shaman" every time I see a bee-bearded man.

Not to mention anything anywhere that even remotely mentions Scientology makes me think Universal Brotherhood (the parallels between Scientology's history and the history of the UB as outlined in The Universal Brotherhood (7205) are so close that, having read the UB book before knowing anything about Scientology and then seeing a Scientology documentary in '99 that I freaked out for several hours before I realized that probably, most likely, Scientology happened first, hehe, even then...I keep looking for bug symbols in Scientology scripts)

I always had this notion that UB was some writer(s)'s way to poke fun at Scientologists.  I'm shocked they didn't name FASA all supressive persons.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-15-11/2309:57> »
The author died in 1995.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <04-15-11/2324:56> »
The author died in 1995.
At a young age, no less.

You folks don't think...  No, I shouldn't say it.  They're watching everywhere.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #22 on: <04-16-11/0954:53> »
EVERYWHERE!!! <_<       >_>
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #23 on: <04-16-11/1002:42> »
So I'm reading over 'Threats', kinda why I started this thread, and I already know that in the 'What happened to Big D' had alot of posts about The Horrors; but did anything further happen with Mr. Darke? Or did he likely get brushed under the carpet with the change in meta-plot focus?
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #24 on: <04-16-11/1455:24> »
Darke seems to have died during a series of magical explosions set off by the release of mana through the Dragonheart and locus he was standing on at the time. I say seems because there was no body recovered,which would be difficult to do as everything within a kilometer or so was turned to glass. However his bloodspirit ally was set free so I'll say he ate it.

His seeming demise is detailed in the third book of the brown lusty elven nipples trilogy, aka the Dragonheart Trilogy.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #25 on: <04-16-11/1953:04> »
His seeming demise is detailed in the third book of the brown lusty elven nipples trilogy, aka the Dragonheart Trilogy.

I remember this one time where I was at a reading by William Gibson, and afterwards during the Q&A someone mentioned Shadowrun. Reading that sentence above, for the first time I feel like I truly understand his response.

(Note: I still love Shadowrun, regardless of how silly it sometimes seems.)
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <04-16-11/2317:29> »
Man, fuck Gibson.

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #27 on: <04-17-11/0013:35> »
He's always seemed like a nice enough guy when I've seen him, and I like his books. While he clearly disdains Shadowrun, he wasn't mean when it was brought up. In fact, he managed to get a good laugh from the crowd. (And frankly, without him there probably wouldn't be a Shadowrun... so I'd find it hard to get mad at the guy, whatever he may think about my hobbies.)
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <04-17-11/1014:17> »
I thought it was Sterling that had the huge issues with Shadowrun being "cyberpunk" not Gibson. Gibson always came off as really laid back kind of guy while Sterling was that guy we all know - the one who passionately categorizes what is or is not the proper member of a certain genre.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <04-17-11/1016:09> »
From what I've read, Gibson was pretty laid back about it, he just didn't like the mashup.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."