NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1650 on: <09-12-18/2234:48> »
Can I got +2 (+1 form Berwick Suit and +1 from Greatcoat Coat) dice pool bonus or only +1 dice pool bonus to Social Tests when my character wears both of a and b? ;)

The text of Social Limit Modifiers under Armor Features is pretty clear that the answer is no (despite what Hero Lab keeps telling me).

Quote from: Run and Gun page 59, Social Limit Modifiers
The value and status of simply wearing certain outfits help characters impress those around them, while on the other hand wearing camo fatigues at a social gathering isn’t the social standard. Some pieces of armor raise the Social Limit of the wearer. These modifiers do not stack; only the highest modifier of any visible clothing item counts (and “visible” means seeing enough of it that viewers get a solid impression of what the garment does on the wearer. Seeing, for example, only the edge of a cuff poking out from under the sleeve of a battered overcoat or the hem of a dress beneath a housecoat will not provide the modifier). Some increases are limited to certain social circles; those limitations will be listed along with the bonus.

gungadi

• Newb
« Reply #1651 on: <09-24-18/2313:52> »
Adept Ways - Do they double in cost post char gen or not? 

I found https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23294.0 but the thread isn't official nor is it covered in the FAQ's current version under Shadow Grimoire nor the Errata, and merely speculation on the writers mistake. 

Highlander

• Newb
« Reply #1652 on: <09-28-18/1117:32> »
Hi all. :)

So I'm new to the forums, but have been into the game and the universe since it's inception way back when (yes, I'm dating myself, lol). I'm currently playing a Technomancer, and I have a question about Diffusion of Firewall.

Now I get ROW states it can only be used on a device, and I want to hack a host. To me, it makes no logical sense that I can't Diffuse a host's Firewall. A Firewall is a Firewall is a Firewall. They're all the same thing. Taking down a device's Firewall should be no different than taking down a host (excepting difficulty). If it's a scale thing, keep in mind that scale has no real bearing in the Matrix (other than prestige/appearance), and if it did, then I should just be able to bore a hole through it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rules that I may be missing? Looking forward to what all of you may have to say.

-Highlander

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1653 on: <09-30-18/0503:10> »

I found https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23294.0 but the thread isn't official nor is it covered in the FAQ's current version under Shadow Grimoire nor the Errata, and merely speculation on the writers mistake.

The writer has said numerous times that ways do not cost double after creation.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

gungadi

• Newb
« Reply #1654 on: <09-30-18/1227:09> »

The writer has said numerous times that ways do not cost double after creation.

Sure but what the writer has said and official policy i.e. - http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=52339 states that until something official from Catalyst comes through they made it an optional rule and thus for both my missions play as Im just getting into the running (And to have a point of reference) and a popular tool won't make it a change until Catalyst officially makes a statement on it other than the writer's intention. 

&#24525;

« Reply #1655 on: <10-08-18/2020:33> »
something official from Catalyst comes through
That's like one of them unicorns I hear about right?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1656 on: <10-08-18/2124:27> »
Like I said from about 10 mins after that disgrace of magic book came out. Forget Ways in 5th, they are almost totally useless. Any character would be much better of dropping those 20 into stuff from FA. SG is best used for kindling or maybe propping up a table imo.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1657 on: <10-26-18/1845:03> »
Given how it involves taking damage then immediately using the point, farming it won't be easy since you'd keep taking on damage and Heal spells take a while to become permanent, and a GM likely will not allow you to gain Protection points from deliberate inflicted damage due to the intent ruining the sacrifice. But whether they mean 'summoned' as in the 1 unbound summon, or summoned as in unbound&bound, is something I'm curious about.

Not sure why you're saying you could feed them force when you recover from wounds?_?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1658 on: <10-27-18/0626:06> »
(( Not sure how instant healing is that easy, given how it involves using tricks to keep more hits than the Force and then sacrificing hit(s) to push the sustain-duration down to 0, all while in combat. All in all it sounds like a risky tactic, not as easy as you're making it sound. ))

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1659 on: <10-27-18/1534:44> »
((And I take it you're spending Reagents on every Heal spell you cast, so the limit is higher than the Force? ))

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1660 on: <10-27-18/1543:54> »
Okay, so there's no limit. Which means you can safely heal up to 4 damage per time before physical drain becomes risky. As long as you take up to 4 physical damage per time you cover people, and the damage doesn't become stun, and you keep your drain in check, you can theoretically keep stacking this. Which makes 'is this bound or unbound-only' relevant, in case you run into a scenario where a player can farm this without a wipe.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1661 on: <10-28-18/0457:18> »
You're only worried about 600+ karma?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1662 on: <10-28-18/1232:13> »
Notion i seriously don't think you understand how the magic systems works.
If you casting something at force 16, it ain't gonna be stun damage, odds are your character is gonna need doc wagon if they tried that.
Drain pools are very limited. Yes cha elf is best capable of dealing with it max possible starting is 13. Centering pool is limited by initiation rating.  You are NEVER going to reach 80 dice of drain or a magic of 40. If you do the math on 40 magic and 40 initiation rating which still wouldn't give you 80 drain dice, and it would cost you 4995 karma that decades of play. This is beyond the scope of play of 99.999% of games. Even in those .001% you won't being spending all that karma straight into that. It's complete unrealistic.
This isn't the purpose of this thread. You don't like SR that's fine, no big deal. But please move on to something you do enjoy.
Thinking
com
speaking

mbisber

• Newb
« Reply #1663 on: <10-28-18/1311:36> »
Well, my Chicago Missions character has achieved far more than 600K so far, with a few missions left to play, so she is not yet done. And, she can cast Spells at Force 24 with 35 or 37D.

But, dice can roll badly on occasion. She could not get enough hits with 46D and so ended up in a hospital. The higher and more powerful your character gets, the less you really want to take foolish risks.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1664 on: <10-28-18/1813:07> »
Look Notion, I never said you were stupid, nor did I insulted you in anyway, you're making a bunch false assumptions, and pretty clearly making the jump to Troll, so keep going if you want, but keep in mind that I asked you nicely to move on to something else you like. I'm prepared to and have no issue with dealing with trolls. I have done it for Thousands of posts.

You are wrong right here:
Re-read channeling on page 148 of Grimoir
"Because two minds inhabit this same body,
Mana spells or powers are resisted by the lowest
Mental attribute of the two. Damage from
Mana spells or powers is applied to both (no
free rides)."

Now to be fair I don't like Grimoir at all, FA is a much better magic book. If you read my posts subject I have said no shortage terrible about Grimoir but this isn't BESM or some other brand new easy to break system. SR is on 5th edition, there are holes in 5th, but nothing you can drive a truck like that through.
Thinking
com
speaking