NEWS

5th Edition D&D

• 22 Replies

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #15 on: <02-20-15/2141:41> »
Well, I've decided to bite the bullet and start a campaign in my area (since the game I was supposed to be in was cancelled an hour before we were supposed to meet).  Going to start with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen (I read it, and I don't see where the problems are yet) and branch out into my own campaign once I and the group I gather get to know the system.  Any advice from people who've got some 5th Edition experience already? 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #16 on: <02-21-15/2356:27> »
What I have done in running that adventure for the Encounters system in my LGS is to make it as fun as possible for my players. I now run three tables for this, and each one has a different personality. I have done things like make travel have random encounters such as a giant spider ambush or pirate/bandit attack to keep travel from being boring. The first couple of episodes can get very long in the environment of official play, as I had to keep adding players, and thus had to run more of the individual scenes, so that as many as possible had leveled by the end of the episode. If you are not running it as official, then you should not have this problem. if I were running this at home, I would select the scenes that I liked and that I thought my players would enjoy overcoming the most, and just use those. There is no need to use everything the adventure has. Would you like to know my procedure for character creation?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #17 on: <02-22-15/0118:36> »
I'm running it at a local game store, but it's not anything 'official'.  I'm just gathering a small pack of players to loose upon my foes and laugh as they cower in terr-

Oops, I went off on a tangent.  Anyways, I'm just running the Hoard of the Dragon Queen to start while I polish up my homebrew setting/campaign, and to weed out the inevitable negative players.  So, I'll be going by the book.  Thanks for the offer on your version of character creation, but I've got that covered. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-22-15/0407:01> »
OK..I ran a short run 5th Edition campaign over November-December, and am now playing in one being run
by one of our players. The system is rather straight forward. It basicly has a kind of tiered system, as well.
1st and 2nd Level characters are still the msot basic there are, with 3rd level where most pick their special
option. Healing Word should be the go-to healing spell for anyone who has access to it, as it is both ranged,
and is cast as a BONUS ACTION(meaning that it is cast, and you can drop a cantrip or do another action). Cantrips
(aka 0th level, always have them, cna cast them indefinately) spells are actually dangerous. The variant human,
which is just +1 to any two ability scores, then any skill, and then a feat is a truly great option to take, as is the standard
human that just gets +1 to all ability scores. So, either way, for once there is a mechanical reason to take a Human.

Bard has been changed to a full on spell caster, not a dabbler, though they have no offensive cantrips. (my solution to
this? I made a Human, took the Magic Initiate: Warlock feat, and got 2 Warlock Cantrips and a 1st level warlock spell to
cast once a day n addition to my bard 1st level spells.) That they made it that a Bard picks at 3rd level if they are going to
be loremasters or fighting bards helps address the old problem of a bard being not particularly good at anything.

One thing I really like is how it makes classes that have to prepare spells, and spontaneous casters better defined. The
Spontaneous casters have a limited number of spells they can know, while the prepared casters have a limited number
of spells they can prepare. However, unlike previous editions, yu do noot have to prepare a spell multiple times. Say you
can prepare 5 spells a day, but can cast 3 1st level and 2 2nd. Well, you could prepare magic missile, identify, and thunder
wave, and shield from 1st level spells, and only Melf's Acid Arrow from 2nd. That means you can cast any of those 1st level
spells up to 3 times if you had to, or Melf's acid arrow twice, or you could cast Magic Missile twice as a 2nd level spell..
Because, in this edition, you can cast a spell as a higher level, using up a slot of that level, and get more effect out of it.
One thing I miss are bonus spell slots for high attributes. However, that is not that big a deal..since Cantrips are so powerful
now. (There are cantrips that deal potential of 1d12 or 1d10 damage at first level! And their damage goes up as you hit
certain levels.)

One thing I don't like is that the highest end plate armor is rather low AC. However, that armor worn by a Fighter with Defender,
and who takes the Heavy Armor Mastery Feat is going to be darned hard to hit, considering the proficiency bonus caps at +5,
and a strength or dex of 2o(the maximum) caps it at +5 bonus.

Their concept of an XP budget is also a useful tool for GMs. Figure out how much XP the PCs should be getting from an encounter.
More, it helps work out a balanced encounter. Do not throw a 14 goblins and a Goblin Chief, for example, against a party of  6 level 1's,
for example, because that is 150 XP for each player..50 XP more then a deadly encounter..

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #19 on: <02-22-15/1146:40> »
Thanks for the advice!  Let's see... 
Healing word = Good.
Humans = Good.
Bards = Full Caster.
Better Definition between Spontaneous and Prepared.

I did the math on armor already, you can get a max of 21 with Defender (+1), Platemail (18, you can't add Dex to Heavy armor), Shield (+2).  There's a few other AC boosters and magic items that can improve that, but not by too much.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #20 on: <02-22-15/2125:28> »
I did the math on armor already, you can get a max of 21 with Defender (+1), Platemail (18, you can't add Dex to Heavy armor), Shield (+2).  There's a few other AC boosters and magic items that can improve that, but not by too much.

Well, when you add magic armor and shield, you can get +3 from each, for a 27, then add a ring of protection for another +1, a cloak of protection for another +1, and just to make it hard to kill you, a ring of regeneration and heavy armor master feat. So that's a 29 AC, damage reduction of 3 from normal weapons, and regeneration, all on a fighter that can potentially have improved critical and the survivor feature. Combat monster, anyone?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-23-15/1523:38> »

Well, when you add magic armor and shield, you can get +3 from each, for a 27, then add a ring of protection for another +1, a cloak of protection for another +1, and just to make it hard to kill you, a ring of regeneration and heavy armor master feat. So that's a 29 AC, damage reduction of 3 from normal weapons, and regeneration, all on a fighter that can potentially have improved critical and the survivor feature. Combat monster, anyone?

There is a solution to every problem.

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-01-15/0414:52> »

And then you just hit him with stuff that needs a Wisdom or Charisma or even a Dexterity save. It is not going to be full proof, mind you, but
those are going to hit for at least half damage, which is better then no damage.