NEWS

5th Edition D&D

• 22 Replies

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« on: <01-17-15/0114:02> »
So, anyone around here playing the newest iteration of the classic?  I recently picked up the player's handbook, was sort of curious as to what other folks think.  I love what I've seen so far, especially the Oaths for paladins.  A free-love holy-power hippie in plate-mail is completely possible now!  (That is an over-exaggeration, just so you know.)
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <01-17-15/1330:01> »
I played it a bit with my gaming group.  The character creation and classes are solid, and bring a lot of life to stuff.  I like their new balance attempts (every stat caps at 20, AC isn't raised to infinity, etc) to keep it feeling like stuff that is dangerous stays dangerous and your character wouldn't become a god among men by level 9.

The change of spellcasting with the introduction of ritual spells (utility spells that, if you know but don't prepare, you can simple cast with a time consuming ritual instead, spells like Tenser's Floating Disk and such) was a nice touch.  I like the changes to the Bard class, and Fighter has a clear and effective niche.

Only thing:  when we played, there was no DM Guide and only a prewritten adventure.  Don't play that adventure.  It's very poorly written.  In particular, there's a point where it sets up for your group of level 1 or 2 players to duel a level 4 half-dragon fighter in single combat, and have him one-shot a character and then leave (first taking the time to strike them while they're down, to make it more likely the player loses the character), and if you kill him, he literally just gets replaced by a differently colored version of himself.

Maybe it'd go better for you guys but for my group, it was a trainwreck (although the DM was bad, objectively, so that didn't help).  If the DM guide is out now, or if you'd just wing it, the game is very worth trying out though.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #2 on: <01-17-15/1357:32> »
I've heard the first campaign is pretty good as well.  The dragon one?  A friend of mine has done some of the art in it, and got a copy with his paycheck.  From all he's said, it's a fun one. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-17-15/1400:02> »
Mmkay.  Like I said, went badly for us, but either way I wouldn't have it reflect on the game in general.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #4 on: <01-18-15/2258:29> »
Been running a dungeon-crawl with the 5th edition rules and haven't had any complaints...so far.  Certainly better then 4th. :)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #5 on: <01-19-15/0138:53> »
Dungeon crawl, you say?  What kind? 

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #6 on: <01-19-15/1305:47> »
I was never a fan of D&D, could never get into it. So I can't really compare 5th Ed with the previous versions. What I know is I've tried 5th edition with some friends, and actually had a wonderful time. For the first time, I'm actually entertaining the thought of starting a D&D campaign now, so at least they managed to convert me :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-19-15/1317:43> »
I was never a fan of D&D, could never get into it. So I can't really compare 5th Ed with the previous versions. What I know is I've tried 5th edition with some friends, and actually had a wonderful time. For the first time, I'm actually entertaining the thought of starting a D&D campaign now, so at least they managed to convert me :)

I liked 3.5 and I like Pathfinder. WotC lost my business initially on creating 4th and has now permanently lost their chance at any of my money with 5th.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #8 on: <01-19-15/1438:35> »
Personally, I love what I've read on Fifth.  The stream-lining was done in a good way; it got rid of how stupid-high the numbers were getting, among other things.  My first RPG was the FATE system, which was a little too streamlined for my tastes, but this has just the right amount of crunch to it.  The advantage system is also quite interesting.  The de-emphasis of magical loot is great as well, the actual value of a '+1 Sword' is much higher in a thematic sense now, not just in price.  I also love what they did with the paladin options. 

My main issues are the halfling art (watermelon sized heads, creepy-ass twisted mini-hands, feet the size of hands, and legs that might be 1/4th the total height?), the class system (I'd honestly take a Storyteller or Shadowrun style system over it, much more flexibility, so it's a problem with all D&D type stuff to me) and how they did tone down some of the writing and art for what tey consider a more 'kid-friendly' approach.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-20-15/1316:22> »
My main issues are the halfling art (watermelon sized heads, creepy-ass twisted mini-hands, feet the size of hands, and legs that might be 1/4th the total height?), the class system (I'd honestly take a Storyteller or Shadowrun style system over it, much more flexibility, so it's a problem with all D&D type stuff to me) and how they did tone down some of the writing and art for what tey consider a more 'kid-friendly' approach.

Hah, sounds like you're just to spoiled by Shadowrun's grittier and mature themes too.  Going back to the "generic fantasy setting for all ages" can never be the same.  I know once I read the SR4A book the first time, I was like "...This is my new favorite setting, it has everything I will ever want."

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #10 on: <01-20-15/1554:19> »
Hah, sounds like you're just to spoiled by Shadowrun's grittier and mature themes too.  Going back to the "generic fantasy setting for all ages" can never be the same.  I know once I read the SR4A book the first time, I was like "...This is my new favorite setting, it has everything I will ever want."

Partly, I guess.  Shadowrun, Exalted and 40K top off my favorite written RPG settings overall (not exactly in that order, it varies from mood to mood).  Other than that, I tend towards homebrew, dark fantasy, maybe some elements of horror. 

NOTE:  I don't like the anime aspects of Exalted all that much.  I much prefer the Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern and South-East Asian aspects (particularly the Hindu ones).  The Aztec-esque saurian people who rip out the hearts of criminals as offerings to the gods are badass as well.

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <01-23-15/0622:14> »
Reading through the PHB right now. As this is the first time I've ever had my own copy of any D&D books don't exactly have anything to compare it to. Primary thing that stood out to me was a very clear attempt to buff up fighters to make them absolute beasts in combat. Also that most of the classes has some kind of magic capability; aside from your standard wizards, sorcerers, and warlocks, the othe classes have the potential to learn magic. Either it's stuff right out of the box (paladin and druids) or you could get as sub classes (the rogues' Arcane Trickster, monks' Way of the Four Elements). Not sure what to think of that. Unfortunately, it's going to be a bit before I get to actually play this stuff and run it as DM since I'm already neck-deep in my SR campaign and starting up a Vampire chronicle.

Also, still have yet to hear a credible explanation of why some would rather stick to Pathfinder. Aside from "PCs are overall stronger and more fun to play then 3.5"
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #12 on: <01-23-15/1037:48> »
I suppose that I should say something here, since I run the DnD encounters tables at my LGS. 3.5/pathfinder is great for extremely complex and powerful characters. 4.0 is still the fastest running system, and it introduced a new generation to rpgs, due largely to the simplicity of the system. 5.0 is closer to 3.5 than 4.0, and has gone a long way towards making characters, weapons, and threats relevant across the spectrum of experience. Yes, tyranny of dragons could have been better written, but that is the metaplot adventure, not the ruleset. All in all, comparing the three, I would have to say that 5.0 is the best. And that's coming from one of the "game geezers" on here (started with DnD before ADnD was available, started running shadows in '90). Take it for whatever you think it's worth.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #13 on: <01-25-15/0314:01> »
What I like in any game-system, be it D&D 5th or Shadowrun or any other, is two things.  If a player, enjoying playing the system.  If game-mastering, running a good story and keeping my players on their toes. ;D

Been playing D&D since 2nd edition and don't mind Pathfinder.  'Course I read a ton of fiction, (fantasy, sci-fi, ectra...), and also an admitted cinophile;  so spinning a good tale for my group takes precedent over straight hack'n'slash or pillage/burn campaigns. ;)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« Reply #14 on: <02-04-15/2046:20> »
I ended up making the kids of the 3.5 character I used. Love the reintroduction of the Dragon lineage for sorcerers. Albert I miss Favored Soul but that was not really a core class... Anyone play any interesting campaigns?
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych