NEWS

[SR5] Cyberlimbs: Unarmed DV still low

• 49 Replies

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <07-21-13/0913:56> »
Huh, thought I was missing something. I would imagine at least some sort of modification that takes up capacity to harden a cyberlimb for unarmed.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <07-21-13/1701:19> »
And why can't you wear knucks on your cyberarm?

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-21-13/1956:09> »
And why can't you wear knucks on your cyberarm?

Why should I?

It's a futuristic bionic arm. I can put guns and swords and such in it, a gyroscope, all sorts of things. But I can't mess with its hardness?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <07-21-13/2108:55> »
Yeah. That's the limit of functionality you get with a bog-standard cyberlimb. Perhaps they'll add more to that in whatever augmentation book eventually comes out. If you're not playing in Missions, ask your GM fluff the current batch of cyber implants as bashing weapons, rather than cutting weapons.
« Last Edit: <07-21-13/2110:45> by Novocrane »

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-22-13/0834:42> »
Doesn't the Street Samurai archetype have 11-Strength, 9-Agility cyberarms with retractable cyber spurs in one of them? Sure, they cost about a hundred thousand (15k for the arm itself, an extra 40k to customize them to 8/6, hitting an Ork's natural maximum for both Strength and Agility, and another 39k to enhance them to 11/9, plus 5k if you want the spurs), and his entire build is about 200k over the nuyen limit since they increased the pricing later on, but the point is you can have a character with X Strength and a natural maximum of 8 Strength, who has 11 Strength for the sake of punching, and who can deal either 11S (I assume cyberarm punches are still Stun damage?), or 14P/-2, with that arm. Plus if you drop the Agility Enhancement by 1 level, you can pack all that in a synthetic instead of an obvious cyberarm for 1.5k less.
« Last Edit: <07-22-13/0837:11> by ZeConster »

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-22-13/0842:21> »
(I assume cyberarm punches are still Stun damage?)

Neg. It is Physical. That is why I do not see a problem with it being (STR)P damage. The hand is still not as solid as
a fist-loaded hand, or a rigid bludgeon over the hand, but it is more solid then the unaugmented hand, hence why it
does P damage instead of S.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-22-13/0915:24> »
Ah, right, missed that bit on page 456. Thanks.
In that case, I really don't see the problem - with cyberware, you can deal [Natural Strength + 7]P, while with a cyberlimb, you can deal [Natural Maximum Strength + 3]P, and with spurs, that becomes [Natural Maximum Strength + 6]P. So unless you hardcap your Strength, cyberlimbs are on par or better when it comes to maximum damage output, plus make your damage output independent of your actual Strength - well, unless a cyberlimb's Strength doesn't affect your physical Limit when solely using said cyberlimb for an action, I guess?

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <07-22-13/2214:07> »
if you want higher dmg cyberarm just take spurs and "refluff" them as hardening or something. imo no reasonable GM is going to argue with you, esp if you also forgoe the 1 point reach bonus.

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #23 on: <07-23-13/0142:32> »
I'm not following your math, Ze.  How are you getting Str+7/Str+6/etc.?
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #24 on: <07-23-13/0749:48> »
Natural (Maximum) Strength. With augmentations you can go up 4 above your current Natural Strength, with cyberlimbs you can go at most 3 above the maximum of natural strength as raw stat, and at most 4 above your Natural Strength as effective stat. On top of that comes the weapon/ware damage. If I have 6 strength, +4 Strength from ware and Lacing for (Str+3)P damage, I end up at natural strength + 7 damage (+4+3). With 5 Strength, a 9-Strength cyberlimb with spurs will be at 12 (so Str+7) damage, it just means I can't hit that 13P but with my attribute 1 lower (or not, really) I can still settle for 12P.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #25 on: <07-23-13/0843:05> »
Oh... I would've included the Str boost from whatever in the (STR+) part of the formula.  I do see why you would keep it separate now.  Sorry for being a bit slow, I've been slogging a bit as I work my way through the book.  It's a bit more of an adjustment than I expected.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <07-23-13/0939:04> »
I'm not following - isn't the cyberlimb stat max equal to your racial max (i.e. Human 6 strength) before a potential +3 from Enhancements?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #27 on: <07-23-13/0943:45> »
Yes, so your max is 6+3, +3 from the spurs = 12P damage. But you still face the fact your Augmented Maximum is Natural Attribute + 4, so if you're below 5 Strength, that 6+3 would get capped.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <07-23-13/1036:45> »
Yes, so your max is 6+3, +3 from the spurs = 12P damage. But you still face the fact your Augmented Maximum is Natural Attribute + 4, so if you're below 5 Strength, that 6+3 would get capped.

So why does the Street Sam archetype have a pair of Str11 cyberarms?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #29 on: <07-23-13/1046:01> »
*shrugs* He has 670k in gear to begin with, and the Augmented Maximum rule is very hidden.