NEWS

Hockey Playoffs

• 37 Replies

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <04-19-11/0931:04> »
How would someone with ADD find that attractive?

"Hey, what's going on? Oh, left turn! Let's see if anybody spins out."
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <04-19-11/1007:42> »
The same way Rednecks find anything interesting.  Add more al-coh-mah-hol.

After a few, the only thing they can understand is the simple stuff.

And, of course, there are the car crashes.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #32 on: <04-19-11/1246:04> »
I'm not sitting through six hours of brain grinding boredom just for the off chance that the cars will crash.  Most crashes suck anyway.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <04-19-11/1323:33> »
Agreed.  Nascar is dull.  The formula 1 racing I see over in Europe (where they race through twists and turns in the streets) is a lot more interesting.  But then, go kart racing is like that and is more interesting.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <04-19-11/1526:34> »

There's a link between NASCAR and alcohol aside from obvious consumption:

Early NASCAR drivers were also bootleggers. They would modify their cars mechanicals without touching the exteriors as much as they could. Cars that would look stock (NASCAR being short for the National Association of Stock CAr Racing) would have the ability to pour on the speed if a cop decided to take a closer look at the car. After Prohibition ended some of the cars ended up on the dirt tracks that are scattered across the South, the various organizers would get races put together, and it grew to what it is today.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #35 on: <04-19-11/1756:05> »

There's a link between NASCAR and alcohol aside from obvious consumption:

Early NASCAR drivers were also bootleggers. They would modify their cars mechanicals without touching the exteriors as much as they could. Cars that would look stock (NASCAR being short for the National Association of Stock CAr Racing) would have the ability to pour on the speed if a cop decided to take a closer look at the car. After Prohibition ended some of the cars ended up on the dirt tracks that are scattered across the South, the various organizers would get races put together, and it grew to what it is today.
Not just in the South.  Canada was also a big home to that.  A few 'Shiners up here even had recipes to fuel their cars that ran better than the gasoline that was available at the time according to legend.

It's also where a lot of motorcycle culture came from, as a bike with a sidecar full of bootleg booze could outrun any car at the time.  Which is also where motorcycle cops came from as well, as they would have motorcycles that weren't weighed down by a sidecar or booze.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #36 on: <04-19-11/2352:08> »
Well, back to hockey- anyone else watch tonight's Hawks/Nucks game and think 'uh oh...'? That sure looked like the Canucks team that rolled over so meekly to the Hawks the past couple of years. The late-game nastiness was interesting as well- looking forward to see how much of that- and Luongo's bad night- carries over to Thursday!
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <04-20-11/1045:47> »
Well, back to hockey- anyone else watch tonight's Hawks/Nucks game and think 'uh oh...'?

"At least we managed to avoid the sweep."

That sure looked like the Canucks team that rolled over so meekly to the Hawks the past couple of years. The late-game nastiness was interesting as well- looking forward to see how much of that- and Luongo's bad night- carries over to Thursday!

While I think it would be great to think of the 'Hawks as being able to pull a Flyers I don't see it happening. Not unless Luongo's psyche is so fragile that he can have his will shattered in one period.
Power corrupts.