NEWS

A Guide to Gridguide

• 54 Replies

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <02-22-19/1355:31> »
So according to SRM, the average ground vehicle does not have the capacity to detect a small child that has run out in front of it chasing a wayward soccer ball? Yeah, no. That's a step backward from even the most basic autonavs described in Rigger 3. Any ground vehicle is going have ultrasonic proximity detectors as a standard feature.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #46 on: <02-22-19/1414:48> »
So according to SRM, the average ground vehicle does not have the capacity to detect a small child that has run out in front of it chasing a wayward soccer ball? Yeah, no. That's a step backward from even the most basic autonavs described in Rigger 3. Any ground vehicle is going have ultrasonic proximity detectors as a standard feature.

Well Note 2 explains that no, the sensors can still (somehow) detect the kid chasing the soccer ball.  Since Sensor tests are "not impacted" by this list giving the presence/absence of sensors and their fields of view.

My point in bringing it up is (arguably) it's kind of shaky to assume GridGuide is routinely relying upon a vehicle's own sensors. But I think it's well established that we don't see eye to eye on that, so maybe it's for the best if I recant the example and say "never mind" since that'll only inevitably result in "Well that's SRM, not my home game" anyway.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <02-22-19/1424:46> »
Adds "Discussion about sensors for modern books" to the note list.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <02-22-19/1952:10> »
Upon reviewing the core rulebook, it appears that every vehicle is equipped with a sensor array. If you would allow me to humbly suggest what sensors would come standard on a vehicle, given that the corps are selecting them for safety concerns:
4 Cameras (1 on the front bumper, 1 on the rear bumper, and 2 on the sides/side mirrors)
2 Laser Range Finders (1 on the front, 1 on the back)
Ultrasound
Omnidirectional Microphone (this one is for the safety of riggers)

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #49 on: <02-22-19/1956:10> »
Upon reviewing the core rulebook, it appears that every vehicle is equipped with a sensor array. If you would allow me to humbly suggest what sensors would come standard on a vehicle, given that the corps are selecting them for safety concerns:
4 Cameras (1 on the front bumper, 1 on the rear bumper, and 2 on the sides/side mirrors)
2 Laser Range Finders (1 on the front, 1 on the back)
Ultrasound
Omnidirectional Microphone (this one is for the safety of riggers)

I'd quibble a bit with Ultrasound.

I can see why Runners and Security Drones would want it... but factory standard?  IMO only on purpose built security drones.  An Atmospheric sensor would be of greater interest to the civilian market, and correspondingly more plausible as a standard feature.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <02-22-19/2009:17> »
You need a means of detecting obstacles in a low visibility environment, so you need ultrasound. Mind you, on a ground vehicle the corps would probably cheap out and only give you a version with a maximum range of a few meters, but for basic crash prevention? A few meters is all you need.

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #51 on: <02-22-19/2028:11> »
A few meters range won't do a thing for crash prevention.  (and I'm arguing that the cameras with infinite LOS aren't doing much either, due to not being able to see THROUGH things as GridGuide can!)

Aside from detecting invisible shadowrunners the only call for ultrasound would be in environments where the camera doesn't work.  If darkness/fog is presumed to be an issue, addons for the cameras can address that.

A typical civilian car should have an Atmospheric sensor... hell real life cars at least have thermometers.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <02-22-19/2036:44> »
You can say that, but Rigger 3 says that in the 2060s, autonavs with ultrasound and basic radar sensors were standard on most vehicles. Hell, you can find ultrasound sensors as part of the safety systems of some modern vehicles.

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <02-22-19/2039:44> »
You can say that, but Rigger 3 says that in the 2060s, autonavs with ultrasound and basic radar sensors were standard on most vehicles. Hell, you can find ultrasound sensors as part of the safety systems of some modern vehicles.

I had something else to say, but partway through I had an epiphany.

It doesn't matter if we don't agree on what's "factory standard". The paradigm of unspecific sensor functions actually works better if it's not codified.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <02-22-19/2047:39> »
To be fair, if you could get both your sides with one camera, that'll let you have an atmosphere sensor too. Or just sacrifice the microphone, if you think the vehicle will never be rigged.
« Last Edit: <02-22-19/2051:43> by Ghost Rigger »

A Guide to Gridguide