NEWS

Need Some Help, With An Idea. What's Valuable In Seattle?

• 18 Replies

SekhmetBast

• Newb
« on: <05-16-19/1702:19> »
I'm starting a 4e campaign soon, the first mission will involve the players riding out from Seattle and coming back to Martial Law.
My intention is for their Fixer/Mr. Johnson to know something is about to go down, and send the players out to make a delivery, so they aren't around when the shit initially hits the fan.

While they are gone, several teams of runners will operate at the same time at multiple sites to cause disorder and act as a distraction, for the corps.
While someone, breaks into a corporate HQ, or the likes, and takes something really valuable.
But, the problem is, what's in Seattle that is valuable enough to put the corps, LoneStar, and Knight Errant on high alert.
Or, what would be that valuable.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <05-17-19/0214:20> »
If you want to really upset into Martial Law, it should either be something super dangerous instead, or robbing the Army as well.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

SekhmetBast

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-17-19/0240:54> »
To be fair, I was considering valuable to also include potentially, or highly dangerous.
Valuable meaning it's worth money, it's technologically advanced, magically potent, some form of deadly weapon, virus, or nano-virus. Or some combination, and that's probably not the end of the possibilities.
Though, I should have been more precise. So, I'm sorry.

The Army, now that's an idea, more fronts, more upset.
« Last Edit: <05-17-19/0247:17> by SekhmetBast »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <05-17-19/0247:52> »
Hm... How about the Army was developing a new AI that can't go wireless by depending on certain hardware to be able to run, and it got stolen with all its data so now Seattle got locked down while they're trying to find it, while all the Corps want it too?

SekhmetBast

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-17-19/0258:23> »
I was thinking AI, especially with the Crash(es) it would be something people are wary, even afraid, of being in X's hands.
It would also be something, that other corps would want.

Attach it to Winternight, or Ex Pacis. Even, if that's a red herring.

Or, maybe something to do with Insect Spirits? I don't think it's a secret in meta, that certain corps are messing around with insect spirits.

But, I'll take other ideas, or tips/info. I spent a couple days drawing a blank, till I hit AI a few hours ago.
« Last Edit: <05-17-19/0305:04> by SekhmetBast »

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #5 on: <05-17-19/0732:49> »
Martial law could be declared for a number of reasons, but usually it is to prevent or clamp doen on civil unrest, or to  protect public safety.  Or at least that is usually the justification, no matter what the actual reason.

Soooooo, something stolen from a dragon?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <05-17-19/0744:08> »
Martial law could be declared for a number of reasons, but usually it is to prevent or clamp doen on civil unrest, or to  protect public safety.  Or at least that is usually the justification, no matter what the actual reason.

Soooooo, something stolen from a dragon?
Which one? Kalanyr or Urubia? :P (Yes, we have 2 Dragons in Seattle, both of which with a base in the Redmond Barrens.)
Kalanyr is business and mafia, Urubia is funhouse and gangs. Both are around 100b net worth. I'd argue a SHARED property of the two being stolen would be enough for Martial Law. =)

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <05-17-19/1337:38> »
A massive threat to public safety would justify martial law. A weapon of mass destruction (nuclear, biological, chemical, or magical) would do it. It doesn't even have to be real, just convincing.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <05-17-19/1340:40> »
Oooooh, a stolen load of Blue-27? That would definitely also piss off both Dragons, 'you were planning to use WHAT against us?!' And the mass-berserk side-effect risk is enough to really upset the army.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #9 on: <05-17-19/1528:41> »
Secret weaponized magical/biological area effect bomb, developed jointly by Ares and the Army goes missing....
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-17-19/1657:04> »
If this is a 4E campaign I don't know if you're playing with a different timeline, but you could basically take a lot of inspiration from Boston Lockdown. To wit, maybe someone stole a canister of mind-control nanites and nobody gets in or out of the city until the canister is recovered. If the canister isn't recovered, or if it's been opened, then - well - it was nice knowing you Seattle. You can't know who is infected and who isn't, so you might as well just push the city into the sea.

If you want to play up the value angle more than the threat angle, as everyone scrambles for something priceless, then make it the cure to mind-control nanites.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <05-17-19/1700:49> »
Something else you could do: All of the above. There's massive amounts of gossip, tons of rumours, everything is locked down and the corps are scrambling and nobody except Plan 9 has a clue as to what the McGuffin is. And even with Plan 9 we're not sure.

SekhmetBast

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-17-19/2007:26> »
So, I'm thinking about mixing up the Military AI and Blue-122. Throwing a smokescreen over it, and letting the panic and turmoil commence.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <05-18-19/0331:15> »
So, I'm thinking about mixing up the Military AI and Blue-122. Throwing a smokescreen over it, and letting the panic and turmoil commence.
Wicked! ;D

Voran

• Newb
  • Voran from Dumpshock. Making the move.
« Reply #14 on: <05-19-19/0442:29> »
One of the old classics maybe? Someone snuck in a suitcase nuke or the stuff for a dirty bomb, and the runners somehow get it without realizing what it is.

OR, they steal something seemingly normal and mundane and not at all hazardous and then everyone REACTS like they stole a nuke, and that's the public story too.