NEWS

Re-chambering Firearms

• 64 Replies

MadBear

• Chummer
« on: <02-13-13/2051:42> »
I've come across a reference or two about 're-chambering pistols to take a different caliber', but cannot seem to find the actual rules for making that modification.
The clearest reference is in Augmentation, P 128, but only in passing, there is no mention of re-chambering for larger caliber ammo.
Because, yeah, a Ruger Superwarhawk doesn't do enough damage...
So, can anyone point me in the direction of a real live RAW? Or even a house rule?
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
-Dr Suess

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-13-13/2103:56> »
There's High Power Chambering, which is in War.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

MadBear

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-13-13/2249:42> »
Awesome! Thank you.
Looking at the stats, high powered rounds have a 20F availability. Not exactly something you want to be caught with(because a Ruger with Increased Cylindar, Ammo Select, and Firing Selection SA won't attract notice...).
So, what about simply re-chambering for a higher caliber? As a GM could figure out how to work that, but it's nice to have a RAW to fall back on. All those wonderful weapon mods, and not one listing of upping the caliber?
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
-Dr Suess

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-13-13/2255:56> »
There are no caliber rules.  At all.  Zip, zilch, nada.  All SMG's use the same type of rounds, all Assault Rifles use a different round from that but still all the same, etc.

If you want your weapon to do more damage, you need high-power chambering.  End of story.  Part of this is a balance perspective.
« Last Edit: <02-13-13/2258:02> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-13-13/2256:39> »
Awesome! Thank you.
Looking at the stats, high powered rounds have a 20F availability. Not exactly something you want to be caught with(because a Ruger with Increased Cylindar, Ammo Select, and Firing Selection SA won't attract notice...).
So, what about simply re-chambering for a higher caliber? As a GM could figure out how to work that, but it's nice to have a RAW to fall back on. All those wonderful weapon mods, and not one listing of upping the caliber?

High Power Chambering is all there is. Period.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

MadBear

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <02-13-13/2307:11> »
Petitioning GM for house rules it is.
Thank you.
-Dr Suess

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-13-13/2309:26> »
Thank you.

I know if I were your GM, I would deny that petition. It's unnecessary added complication for zero real benefit.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-13-13/2326:08> »
Thank you.

Do what you want, but my advice: Don't.  You don't want to be the guy who petitions the GM for non-balanced house-rules - especially because when you want one that isn't a balance issue, or that actually corrects an issue, it would be that much more difficult to get.

And were I your GM, you'd be getting an answer along the lines of "hell no".  And, well, any time you get me and Guns to agree on something...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-13-13/2330:31> »
And, well, any time you get me and Guns to agree on something...

Definitely...I'm starting to think that the End Times are drawing near...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <02-14-13/0104:46> »
And, well, any time you get me and Guns to agree on something...

Definitely...I'm starting to think that the End Times are drawing near...
Especially since I'm in firm agreement with you two.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #10 on: <02-14-13/0200:14> »
You could reason it out that the ammunition for the most part is as optimized as it can be for those weapons, I would expect that by 2050 most weapons would already be using high performance high velocity ammunition like the .357 SIG, 10mm Auto, and 5.7x28mm. So any caliber change isn't going to mean a measurable improvement (in the abstracted game terms) over just using better suited ammunition for the job, or having a better designed gun in the first place.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <02-14-13/0201:54> »
I miss .45 ACP.   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #12 on: <02-14-13/0203:24> »
was dispensed by people with weak wrists.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-14-13/0657:50> »
Spare Clips: Extra ammunition clips come unloaded; they can hold the maximum rounds for the weapon and are not interchangeable from weapon to weapon even within the same class.

Ever find it weird that ammunition is standardised, but spare clips aren't?

MadBear

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <02-14-13/1019:21> »
I don't think what I was looking for is unbalanced at all.
High Powered Rounds have a +2 DV and a -1 Ap, which is pretty big, though they are highly illegal-20F availability. Re-chambering relatively accepted with an availability of 8R. I was looking for something more along the lines of +1DV with a more acceptable attainability, something you could carry around with you on the streets.
Look at the Taurus Multi-6 in Arsenal, it's a Light Pistol that can take either Light Pistol rounds OR Heavy Pistol rounds, for either a 4p or 5p DV. So why can't you re-chamber a Heavy Pistol to take 6p rounds instead of 5p? The Ruger already does 6p, so there is precedence for 6p pistols. How is that possible unbalanced? My suggestion is a lot more reasonable than forcing High Powered Rounds. Yes, yes, I know, I could just use explosive rounds. That's not the point.
What you all are suggesting is that if one of your players came to you with this suggestion, that you would turn it down and insist they modify their Ruger Superwarhawk to take High Powered Rounds instead? DV 8 with -3AP? And you call THAT balanced?
As a player, I enjoy having something small like that unique to my character, like a signature gun. As a GM, if it makes my player happy and will not unbalance the game, I would allow it. If he wanted the High Powered Rounds, he would have to deal with having Forbidden/illegal rounds; and if he wanted just a higher caliber, he would have to deal with a Restricted mod, and had better have a fake permit.
Another thing I do as a GM, is if my players use tech like High Powered Rounds or Combat Rifles, I let my NPCs use them too. If my players never bother with such things, I don't either. Keeps the game balanced. But if they want a small advantage like I am suggesting, yeah, I'll allow it., and while I won't have Loan Star start modding their weapons the same way, you can bet your tusks I'll have them notice that BFG you're packing.
-Dr Suess