NEWS

The Opinion on Shotguns

• 65 Replies

CosbyPro

• Newb
« on: <11-22-12/0030:16> »
In my various internet shadowrun browsings, I have heard mention that shotguns are not actually that good. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to their pros and cons.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <11-22-12/0043:29> »
With buckshot/flechette ammo, not that great against most targets (because armor is so very very common).  With slugs, they can be a scary in-close option for someone who's relying on a single firearm skill (instead of having Pistols or Automatics or what-have-you, like a dedicated sniper-type).  They're a classic on the streets for intimidation value and relative bang-for-the-buck, availability on many is low, so they're often easy to get ahold of (or to toss after a gig if the heat is on).  Their base damage code is pretty solid, and they're good for what they're used for IRL (blasting single targets during close-in firefights, like roomsweeping).

Mechanically, there's all sorts of number-crunching out there about how full-auto bursts are scarier, range brackets can make bigger guns more attractive, there's a lack of accessories for them, and on and on and on.  And that's all valid, depending on the game, the power level, and the character.

But I still dig 'em, and for the right character they can just "fit" better than some hardcore mil-spec stuff.
« Last Edit: <11-22-12/0106:17> by Critias »

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-22-12/0054:55> »
Pretty much what Critias said.

Besides, it's not like you can't buy an Auto Assault 16, or mod one of the burst fire shotguns should you absolutely want to pepper the room with terror. And why the hell wouldn't you want to?

As for range... a lot of shadowruns happen in very close-in environments. Not sure it's that big an issue. And if things are really wide open, the fact you can pick up a sniper rifle just as easily isn't too shabby.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #3 on: <11-22-12/0126:32> »
Damage wise, full autoshotguns are great at clearing corridors quickly if messily.

Rulewise, too bloody complicated. Maybe if someone in my games used then regularly, but for ocassional use, slows the game down while we try and work it out.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #4 on: <11-22-12/0256:03> »
well they are ok, i'd def use one if i had a dedicated sharpshooter who needed a backup weapon, but i wouldnt choose longarms over automatics.
the ability to walk around with an AR on FA with so much recoil comp it barely twitches just means that shotty's dont compare. i think its probably more a reflection of how good the automatics group is than how bad the longarms group is tbh!
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #5 on: <11-22-12/0305:29> »
well they are ok, i'd def use one if i had a dedicated sharpshooter who needed a backup weapon, but i wouldnt choose longarms over automatics.
the ability to walk around with an AR on FA with so much recoil comp it barely twitches just means that shotty's dont compare. i think its probably more a reflection of how good the automatics group is than how bad the longarms group is tbh!

Except Longarms has the Barrette M-121. Load that thing up with APDS or Anti-Tank ammo and you've got yourself a big ol' "F* You" to whatever's on the other end of your shot. With a dedicated sharp-shooter using it, we're talking nearly guaranteed one-hit-kills against anything short of a Main Battle Troll, even through a brick wall.

That gun is worth it, all by itself, and the shotguns are simply a useful backup for situations where you can't hang back and snipe.
« Last Edit: <11-22-12/0307:21> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <11-22-12/0358:49> »

Except Longarms has the Barrette M-121. Load that thing up with APDS or Anti-Tank ammo and you've got yourself a big ol' "F* You" to whatever's on the other end of your shot. With a dedicated sharp-shooter using it, we're talking nearly guaranteed one-hit-kills against anything short of a Main Battle Troll, even through a brick wall.

That gun is worth it, all by itself, and the shotguns are simply a useful backup for situations where you can't hang back and snipe.
totally, its a great gun. its no good for a combat street sam mind :-) and iirc, you need to take restricted gear to get one @ chargen which makes it an expensive option. if i had longarms, then i'd totally use a shotty, but i wouldnt take longarms just on the basis of using shottys.
i have to say, i like the auto assualt and things like that, but i would normally go to an FA rifle with R/C due to range, R/C, sound suppresion etc. pump action shotguns are just so badass though, i could see it being a good gun for a custom look 2 mod for intimidation :-)
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #7 on: <11-22-12/0721:55> »
A full auto shotgun modded with high velocity is capable of shredding hordes of unarmoured foes like nothing else in the game:
Full auto splitting fire into 4 long bursts, with wide choke. that's 12 targets in one complex action, though they do need to be closely grouped. Still, when ghouls are rushing through a chokepoint then accept no substitutes.

Just remember to either pack a tripod or a gyromount, depending on budget.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-22-12/0731:19> »
A full auto shotgun modded with high velocity is capable of shredding hordes of unarmoured foes like nothing else in the game:
Full auto splitting fire into 4 long bursts, with wide choke. that's 12 targets in one complex action, though they do need to be closely grouped. Still, when ghouls are rushing through a chokepoint then accept no substitutes.

What about a gren launcher? 2 grens in a chokepoint will chunky salsa anything as well.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #9 on: <11-22-12/0734:24> »

What about a gren launcher? 2 grens in a chokepoint will chunky salsa anything as well.

that should work. not exactly a shotgun though eh? :-)
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #10 on: <11-22-12/0735:51> »

Meh, not as cool as a full auto shotgun spitting hundreds of ball bearings in a cone of indiscriminate death... particularly as it's not actually that indiscriminate. if you have an ally in the mix then the shotgun won't chunky salsa him like the grenades would.

Anyway, why only two grenades? you can mod a GL for full auto as well...
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Mournclaw

• Chummer
  • The trees have eyes... And so do I!
« Reply #11 on: <11-22-12/0746:59> »
By the way, regarding shotgun spread... what would a barrel extension do to it?

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-22-12/0912:38> »
Why shotguns? They're nice for a breaching role (Shock Lock rounds), and for me personally they're the only gun class I will load SnS into. And yes, I include the thee pistols that can fire shotgun rounds in that list.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <11-22-12/0920:17> »
In our games they're the only guns you're -allowed- to load SnS in.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #14 on: <11-22-12/0921:29> »
By the way, regarding shotgun spread... what would a barrel extension do to it?
it would just extend the range of the rounds, so the spread would happen 10% further from the tip of the barrel, meaning it would be narrower cone (more accurate) of shot for slightly longer.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor