NEWS

Rollerskates: How many uses can you come up with?

• 64 Replies

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #60 on: <08-13-11/1639:24> »
What you people REALLY want is, basically, a NON CYBER Version of the Skimmer Disc Feet.
Be it a Hover-Board *whines* we still don't have them ._. or rollerskates with skimmer discs instead of wheels . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #61 on: <08-13-11/1643:18> »
No, I don't want skimmer disks or hover boards. I want my 50+ MPH motorized skates.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #62 on: <08-14-11/0708:20> »
In the UB5 PbP Ive been running the corridor for the cover...and I was praying I hadnt forgot to buy skates before the run as I was planning to do so...IMO adept/sam with boosted reaction and agility should use this all teh time...smart weels can make it stable, firm standing point, or they may allow to pass any terrain you want...and if you ever been jumping over the standing vehicle on skates IRL, you know what Im saying when Im telling you the this is ery good for escape routes etc.
And...as a side jpobs...even today skaterrs ride the walkways to steal wallets, backpacks etc...

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« Reply #63 on: <08-14-11/1857:00> »
What you people REALLY want is, basically, a NON CYBER Version of the Skimmer Disc Feet.
Be it a Hover-Board *whines* we still don't have them ._. or rollerskates with skimmer discs instead of wheels . .
Why do they have Skimmer Dics for wares but not for mundane? The tech is there, why not use it? That would be a buttload of nuyen to the corp that marketed those. Every kid would want one. And on the shadow side, you could use a "hover board" for all sorts of devious things. If only to carry gear. Or bipass floor sensors and the like. Also, are Skimmjer Discs available for vehicles? How about drones? it seems i should be able to put them on my GM dobermans. Hmmm.....

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #64 on: <08-15-11/0310:04> »
Way back in 1993 when I used to play SRII, I had an Elf Sammy girl who used to carry around (or wear, depending on the situation) a pair of roller-blades.

I must confess that I'm not at all familiar with the SR4 Arsenal supplement, so I can't comment on it nor how the authors present the item in question.  That said:

Skates are light-weight, portable, legal, and fairly easy to get a hold of.  When you need a little speed boost that's not on a grand scale, from something that you can carry around with little to no difficulty, they can give a fair advantage for a number of things:

-Jumping

Sure, it's a risk: but you can build up enough speed to plausibly increase the distance of a long jump (say, from rooftop to rooftop).

-Increased movement rate

Not sure how movement is handled in SR4 (I'm getting my copy soon-ishly), but it is very much reasonable to figure that wearing a pair of roller-skates would increase the distance a character can move during their action(s).

-Maneuverability

In a tight spot, and by inventive use of the surroundings, sometimes being able to skate instead of walking or running can give an advantage.  Granted, in cramped quarters, the opposite would be true.

-Quick getaway

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the daredevil maneuver of gripping to the back of a speeding vehicle (although likely to be much, much more difficult to do than in movies) could plausibly help the character oust his/her person from a scene more expediently.

The most obvious downside is having to do with putting on the skates and removing them, as it's likely to be something that ought to take more than three seconds (or, at least, an action or two).  Therefore, the choice a character must make is to either A) arrive at the scene with skates on (which can and should prove problematic for, say, stairs, or might attract attention, or any other situational circumstances that ought to apply) or B) find some out of the way spot where they can be put on in peace.

As for Skimmer Discs?

I'll venture a guess in that they may be more expensive, more difficult to carry around undetected (at least, maybe they don't fit as well into a simple backpack in comparison to roller-skates), not as easy to find and acquire as roller-skates are (unless Skimmer Discs are available at your corner sports store?  Genuinely curious, am clueless on the matter).

Plus!

Them's fun.
« Last Edit: <08-15-11/0449:30> by Fallen »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."