NEWS

Open/Concealed Carry, Zones, and the Law

• 19 Replies

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <02-12-14/1605:36> »
I've always been under the impression that cowboys hats and boots were primarily functional, or at least popular because of their functionality.  I suppose that functionality is only really of use to people who still work outside on ranges/ranches or ride horses extensively, though.

Being from Seattle, I can say the biggest difference between Shadowrun Seattle and real Seattle is that the people are less passive-aggressive in SR.  They're more aggressive-aggressive.

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <02-12-14/1713:58> »
I've always been under the impression that cowboys hats and boots were primarily functional, or at least popular because of their functionality.  I suppose that functionality is only really of use to people who still work outside on ranges/ranches or ride horses extensively, though.

Being from Seattle, I can say the biggest difference between Shadowrun Seattle and real Seattle is that the people are less passive-aggressive in SR.  They're more aggressive-aggressive.

Oh yes.  I know the Northwestern passive-aggressiveness that you speak  ;D
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-13-14/0921:18> »
In Missouri, there is an open carry law. Cities are allowed to overrule the law and create their own (Kansas City is a good example), but most of the state hasn't. That said, it is still rare to see people open carrying. Most people, including law enforcement officers, don't understand, or even know of, the law. Carrying a gun openly is almost a certain to get the police called on you and be questioned, even though it is perfectly legal. I've actually known people that have had their firearms illegally confiscated and brought up on charges in the state. They have to sue for their property back even though they never broke any laws.

So, it doesn't really matter what the law says. What matters is perception and what the questioning officers (there will be some, there are always some) think the law says. Unarmed people are always scared of armed people. That's why open carry states have more people concealed carry still than open carriers.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #18 on: <02-13-14/1351:13> »
generally, the higher up the social ladder of SR, the LESS they put up with weapon, regardless of the law...

In the heart of a "AAA" Zone and you have a light pistol, no identifiable destination, AND barely look like you belong there?? expect to be the object of a survailance drone for a long while....
Now, imagine how fast they are going to be on you for a machine pistol? How are you going to explain that you need a machine pistol with your ID, and that you belong in that zone at that time of day?
The rich pay big money to make sure they are safe, and that usually means they want only those "authorized" to have guns, to, you know, actually have them here. (IE: security and police)

In the heart of a "C" Zone and you have a barely passible ID, no licence, a heavy pistol under your jacket AND the KE officer saw it? He might make an attempt to question you, he might decide that now is a good time for coffee... He's might throw down on you. 
Here, a gun might be the second thing you grab before you leave to get groceries! (right behind your armored jacket). Sure, you may not need every time, but you sure feel safer with it.

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

martinchaen

« Reply #19 on: <02-13-14/1510:33> »
Reaver
Remember you can hide weapons on you, and turn off the wireless feature of the firearm. Essentially, with a little bit of concealment, you can easily walk around AAA zones with a concealed light pistol. That is, until you hit a MAD or millimeter wave scanner ;)

My point; the SR world has a lot of ambiguity in terms of what you can and cannot do. Be smart about it, dress to fit in (whether that means masquerading as a gardener or security guard, or one of the rich, fortunate ones is up to you), and conceal your weapons, and chances are you'll be good. Most GMs I've played under seem to value prep work.