NEWS

Full Auto/Burst fire and movement

• 6 Replies

Baeldeth

• Newb
« on: <10-15-13/2119:58> »
Just a few general questions, that plagued our group last edition and I'm just wanting to make sure I understood it right when I read it this time.

From what I gather during a total turn, you can move your movement, anything beyond that, counts as sprinting.  So, if you have an initiative of 24, you could do your movement on either 24, or 14.  But if you exceeded your movement stat, bam, sprinting.  Am I right?

Also, With burst fire and full auto, with multiple passes, especially with full auto, if you can have three actions in a round... (ie, you rolled a 33, so you get the equivalent of 3 initiative passes.  33, 23, 13, ...and 3.  So maybe four.  Didn't check i theirs a limit.  Does that mean you can full auto your gun four times as much as someone who had, say a 7? In a 3 second period it dosen't make much sense that you can vomit out that much firepower, versus someone just holding the trigger down.

Or is it just me?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-15-13/2155:45> »
A P90 today hits 900 round per minute, so firing off 40 rounds in 3 seconds on a circa 2075 rifle seems possible.  Considering the recoil you'd be facing, I have no idea why you'd want to do this.

You're correct on movement (although the person in your example would also act on 4).  Once you exceed your walk rate (Agi x2), you're running for the rest of the turn, no matter what.  So if your initiative passes were held by someone with an Agi of 5 who wants to run to cover that's 30 meters away.  There are a few ways she could do it:

1) Dead sprint on 24.  She would almost certainly have to be ork, human, or elf to pull this off and needs 5 hits on a Strength + Running roll and a Physical Limit of 5.   Ranged attacks against her suffer a -4 penalty and even though she's stationary on 14 and 4, she's still considered to be "running," so she suffers from a -2 penalty to her actions and needs to spend her Free Action on both Combat Turns to run.

2) Barring being an exceptional athlete (or absolutely withering return fire), her best bet is to walk on 24, covering 10 meters and not incurring any sort of penalty for returning fire and then run on 14, so she only suffers the -2 running penalty on 14 and 4.

Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Baeldeth

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-15-13/2210:14> »
I gotcha.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that.  It's just, using full auto as an action..
why would a gun use more rounds, in a turn, because someone can pull the trigger faster, than someone who pulls it multiple times?

In three seconds, it doesn't make much sense.  If you hold down say, the p90, it's going to fire it's full rof.  Why would someone with super reflexes, have it fire more shots?

single shot,no problem, I can even kinda let semi auto /burst go.  It's only Full auto It seems silly.  That's why it kinda made me wonder if I just interpreted it wrong.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <10-15-13/2217:04> »
My mini gun with a ROF of 8000 rounds a minute laughs at your P90!!!

(oh wait! you said TODAY's p90.... nevermind :D)

suffice to say, Machineguns can put a lot of lead down field in a REALLY short time.... Of course, the more lead to pump out, the less you hit... (recoil REALLY is a bitch!)

So much so, that many of today's military firearms generally do not have a full auto mode... (usually 2 or 3 round burst is the best they do... outside of squad support weapons) this is primarily due to lessons learned in combat and the ammo carrying capacity of the soldiers. Most often in modern militaries the full auto rifles go to the elite special forces, who have the firing discipline and advanced training to keep their cool in stressful combat, and not to the general infantry.

But that is the real world... and while SR tries to use a "real world" feel to their core mechanics (as much as you can in a Fantasy/Sci-fi blend game), Most people want the "Hollywood" version..... with massive amounts of rounds down range, Explosions leaping 30 feet into the air, and a guy swinging from the chandelliar with his teeth while firing a multiple grenade launcher in one hand, and a mini-gun in the other!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-15-13/2228:45> »
even though it is full-auto, that is just the mode the gun is on, you are rapidly pressing the trigger in controlled bursts so you can aim properly.  having faster reflexes lets you do that better or quicker
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <10-15-13/2231:24> »
I gotcha.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that.  It's just, using full auto as an action..
why would a gun use more rounds, in a turn, because someone can pull the trigger faster, than someone who pulls it multiple times?

In three seconds, it doesn't make much sense.  If you hold down say, the p90, it's going to fire it's full rof.  Why would someone with super reflexes, have it fire more shots?

single shot,no problem, I can even kinda let semi auto /burst go.  It's only Full auto It seems silly.  That's why it kinda made me wonder if I just interpreted it wrong.

Generally I agree with you, BUT it's the "rule of cool" (or the "Hollywood" effect as I call it)...

It's that way for 3 basic reasons....

1: to make your (the GMs) life easier as now you don't need to know the RoF of each and every weapon beyond "SS, SA, BF, FA"... I mean, how big of a pain in the ass would it be if they said "the Ares alpha can fire 600 rounds a minute". Now you have to figure out how many round the player has fired EACH action phase, and keep a running total for EVERY player and NPC just to see if they are drying firing, or if they actually have ROF left to shoot..... Man, my head already hurts thinking about it.

2: Because that is what people want :P There is no point in moving "at lightning speed" if your gear can't keep up to you... After all, there is no point in having 4 attacks a combat round, if your gun can only keep up for the first attack only :P.

3: It's a game! it's supposed to be fun! There is a great mental image most people can conjure up of their badass guy, moving lightning fast, spraying a security guard with lead, then spinning to avoid in coming fire, to return a spray of lead down a hallway at his attackers, then spinning again to double tap the guard that comes around the opposite corner... and then turning once again to spray more lead at an other group of attackers.

Doesn't that sound cool? Can't you picture it? it's a great mental image..... but it requires us to separate fact from fiction when it comes to guns.... and that is cool.

however, if you own stock in Advil you might want to consider doing some basic research on the actual guns SR models their after, and calculate out the ROF and enforce it... but it's not worth making my brain bleed for me ( and I own firearms!) I'd just rather, hand wave it and let my players have their fun :D
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-15-13/2322:24> »
Don't consider FA as how much lead you can put down field in 3 seconds but the maximum lead you can put down field in a controlled manner with one pass. So people with multiple actions can put down more not because the gun is firing faster but because they can control the gun better.