NEWS

Creating a Canon Friendly Hunter Character

• 3 Replies

Apegacine

• Newb
« on: <12-30-17/0147:37> »
Hi I am a new player only vaguely familiar with some of the lore and setting details of shadowrun So I need some help with making a backstory for my character.

I have a concept for a character that is a changeling who as a kid was thrown out into the woods by his parents when the SURGE hit. He would then be found by a Hunter who taught him how to hunt and survive in the wilderness. 10 or so years later (depends on when the campaign is set.) While out on a hunt The elderly troll leaves my character some form of note telling him that he left to get revenge on a man known only in the underworld as Dai-Quan and that he most likely will get killed no matter if he succeeds or not. My character then becomes a shadowrunner in the hopes that one day he will be able to find Dai-Quan and help his mentor kill him.

I was thinking for skills he would be mostly focused on stealth and long range shooting

I am not familiar enough with the lore of shadowrun to know if this backstory is possible in the lore So I wanted some help with fixing the backstory to work in the setting of shadowrun.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-30-17/1325:02> »
The overall concept is reasonable. I don't see any significant conflicts with canon.

I presume that the elderly troll is the hunter who took the SURGEling in. If so, it might help your GM to have a background built out for the troll too so that the GM can understand why a troll living in the woods for a decade has a man in the underworld that he needs to get revenge on after all these years.

Apegacine

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-31-17/0708:48> »
I reworked the backstory for my character and made one for the troll who takes him in.

Arturo Martinez(AKA Plumo) is a elf SURGEling who thrown out by his parents into a wild mountain forest. Arturo was taken in by a Troll hunter named Amir Dubois who was living in a secluded cabin located within the aztlan wilderness.

Amir was a shadowrunner who used to work in Denver to support his wife Fiona and his daughter celesse. One day in 2060 Amir assassinated the sworn brother of Dai-Quan an elf that is a legendary assassin in the underworld. In Revenge Dai Quan murdered Amir's wife Fiona right in front of him. fearing for his daughter's life Amir fled Denver with his daughter but on the way out he made a desperate play to keep his daughter safe. Amir made a deal with Zacaultipan to send his daughter away somewhere safe with enough nuyen to last her until she could get a job of her own. In Return Zacaultipan tasked Amir with the assassination of the men responsible for her brother's execution. Zacaultipan adds on the condition that if Amir meets with celesse before all of the targets were assassinated she would kill both Amir and Celesse.

Before Celesse was sent to France Amir gave her a sapphire Ring engraved with her mother's maiden name Frei . Amir tells celesse to always wear the ring and that when he is ready to see her again he will send a man wearing a ruby ring with "dubois" engraved on it to find her and bring her back to Amir.

Amir goes to Aztlan to kill the targets and builds a cabin in the wilderness to keep off the grid while he did the job for Zacaultipan.  After Amir takes Arturo in he teaches him how to hunt and survive in the wilderness along with some of the skills Amir used as a shadowrunner.

In the present Amir gives Arturo a engraved ruby ring telling him to find his daughter who will be a human woman wearing a engraved sapphire ring saying "frei".

Arturo then becomes a shadowrunner in the hopes that he will find Celesse and bring her back to her father.

So is this good for a backstory and are there any holes that need fixing?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-01-18/1303:31> »
The story is that Arturo is with Amir for 10 years. Why does Amir need 10 years to do the job for Zacaultipan? Why wouldn't Amir do the job right away and get his daughter back sooner?