NEWS

Run Faster Out!

• 126 Replies

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #120 on: <03-01-15/0115:19> »
Couldn't most any "North America" based module be renamed as something similar for another country?

I don't have run faster but it seems like most paths would have a representative of that "type" in other locations.

I'd suggest looking at the modules for the skills you want & then "rename" them to fit your background story.

Seems easier than trying to "balance" creating a completely new module with the amount of change your looking at .

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #121 on: <03-01-15/1127:47> »
I tried running some numbers on Life Modules and promptly gave up. The complexity involved is somewhat significant due to the fact that skills and attributes are so mutable. With a varying cost it's not just a matter of saying "module X gives Y karma" because they all build on each other.

One way of comparing the modules might be to simply count how many attributes, skills, and qualities they give you. It won't be perfect, but it'll give you a baseline at least.

Gwyrdallon

• Newb
« Reply #122 on: <03-03-15/0457:50> »
While what is in the book seems good, I'll admit I was mostly buying it for the rules for weird character types, so the lack of AI, Free spirits and Drakes is a fairly big problem for me.

Nevyn

• Chummer
  • We are all ready to be savage in some cause
« Reply #123 on: <03-05-15/1042:20> »
Couldn't most any "North America" based module be renamed as something similar for another country?

I don't have run faster but it seems like most paths would have a representative of that "type" in other locations.

I'd suggest looking at the modules for the skills you want & then "rename" them to fit your background story.

Seems easier than trying to "balance" creating a completely new module with the amount of change your looking at .

I don't agree. I'm British, I grew up in Germany then was sent to the UK to a boarding school for military kids. I now live in the US and have 2 kids who are both American. I'd have to say that each of those paradigms are different. My kids are not me and an American system is as different to a German one as to a British one. Clearly people grow up as they are nurtured.

I don't think my changes are vastly different, I'm taking the equivalent number of Active Skill points and transferring them to other skills
speaking out loud
matrix actions/communication
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #124 on: <03-05-15/1631:38> »
I'm taking the equivalent number of Active Skill points and transferring them to other skills
Not by your example your not.

with Leadership +1, Con +1, Running +1 instead of Professional Knowledge +3.
but Blades +1, Computers +1, Software +1 instead of the Acting Group and
Sneaking +1, Negotiation +1, Street Knowledge (City) +1 instead of the Stealth group.

Your replacing Single Skills for Groups & Active Skills for Knowledge Skills.
Those are not the same amount of Karma.

Just my suggestion but, if you don't like the "Name-Story" of the Path then pick something that you do like & change the name/story v/s the game stats.
If there is not a single game stat path that you like, then, maybe I'd look into creating a whole new path, but before that I'd probably look at doing 1-2 end creation swaps instead.

I'd create a full character as close to what I want & then from there when its all compiled I'd look at the possibility of swapping some skills out or around.   Finished at Computer-4 & Software-3 but felt that the character was more an electrician v/s programmer, see about swapping them around to be Computer-3 & Hardware-4.
Ended up w/ Blades-4 but really wanted to have a guy skilled w/ the Baton instead.  Swap Blades-4 out for Clubs-4

Nevyn

• Chummer
  • We are all ready to be savage in some cause
« Reply #125 on: <03-05-15/2233:01> »
That's a good idea.

I replaced groups with individual skills but the groups I'm replacing both have 3 skills in the group... I wasn't aware that the karma cost would be less for the group. I didn't look, it has to be said.

The other one, the Professional Knowldge at +3 I agree isn't the same so, on my other post on a different forum section, I stated that the leadership +1 could be dropped but I wrote that post afterwards.

Sorry still getting used to the rules again, and I was never a big Karma user.
speaking out loud
matrix actions/communication
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #126 on: <03-05-15/2359:32> »
No worries, I'm just seeing it as a "balance" thing.
They give you a group skill so you should replace it with a group skill.
Sadly most groups have something you don't want in them which is why they are cheaper.
Knowledge skills meanwhile are 1/2 the price of Active.
Its also about the feel of the path & how it relates to those before/after, which is why I say wait till the end of chargen & then get w/ GM on some swaps.