Type: M
Duration: S
Range: LOS
Drain: F-1
[insert description here]

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-14-17/2352:40> »
I would say mental manipulation spell, not illusion.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-15-17/0017:00> »
Yeah, it seems sort of like a variation on the Influence spell.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <03-15-17/1157:14> »
Exactly, it's more a suggestion type thing. Forget you ever saw me!

Do you see any problems with the description? Is it abusable? How does it compare to Influence balance-wise?

Could this be used for Teachdaire's famous ring focus?

[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <03-15-17/1210:19> by Thanael »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-15-17/1215:08> »
Distraction is a -2 penalty to Perception tests and has no impact on Memory Tests.  That's not nothing, but that's not worthy of a F-1 drain value.  The effect needs more definition and some sort of duration, even if it's a lengthy one like Alter Memory.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <03-15-17/1236:30> »
In Silver Angel Callie Firebird uses it on a security guard who becomes distracted whenever she or White Tiger appear. He will not remember seeing them and remains in that state until something else attracts his attention.
« Last Edit: <03-15-17/1415:08> by Thanael »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-15-17/1255:09> »
That's a triggered/preemptive Alter Memory.  I'm on my phone right now, but I think you'd be looking at F+3 as a starting point.  Altered Memory is...F+1?

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <03-15-17/1458:57> »
Yes Alter Memory is F+1, and Duration: P

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-15-17/1511:12> »
Yes Alter Memory is F+1, and Duration: P

Semi-P.  It has a hard cap as to how many months it lasts.

An absolute lack of recall might be overkill.  A spell that mimicked the effects of prosopagnosia would be almost as effective and since you aren't mucking with memories (their genuine memory is indistinct), you don't need to worry about months down the line getting a visit from the HRT.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <03-15-17/1609:36> »
But it's not only that they forget the face, the forget/ignore the persons presence.

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <03-15-17/1628:05> »
See, that is not how I read the description of the spell you provided... They become distracted whenever faced with the reality of whichever image you provided for the spell... That is not the same as forget/ignore their presence.
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-15-17/1713:52> »
See, that is not how I read the description of the spell you provided... They become distracted whenever faced with the reality of whichever image you provided for the spell... That is not the same as forget/ignore their presence.

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of, "He was...I dunno, kinda average looking."  Like a suped-up version of Blandness.

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <03-15-17/1811:13> »

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of, "He was...I dunno, kinda average looking."  Like a suped-up version of Blandness.

Exactly... that was what I was envisioning as well. :)
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <03-15-17/2320:56> »
The spell description clearly states that the target will not remember seeing the distracting images afterwards and that his own distraction was perfectly normal.